Chapala.com Webboard

Cafe Negro - San Antonio

jkgourmet

Back to the topic. You ate the wrong things. The Blue cheese burger is beyond amazing. I am not a hamburger lover but her's is an exception. The Salad Niçoise is another favorite I keep going back for. It is not cheap, but the portion is huge. Last but not least, I love the apple, almond butter, bacon sandwich. Don't laugh until you've tried it. it is 100 times better than it sounds,

So give it another try!

For sure most places have things that they do well and some that don’t quite hit the mark. I’d never order the token steak in a seafood restaurant for example.

But when eating at a café or bistro, I’d expect that coffee and quiche to be a part of the standard fare and up to the mark.

Back to the topic. You ate the wrong things. The Blue cheese burger is beyond amazing. I am not a hamburger lover but her's is an exception. The Salad Niçoise is another favorite I keep going back for. It is not cheap, but the portion is huge. Last but not least, I love the apple, almond butter, bacon sandwich. Don't laugh until you've tried it. it is 100 times better than it sounds,

So give it another try!

I don't remember ANY of these on the very short blackboard menu; however, it was about 11am when we were there so maybe too early for lunch.

Being an open minded person, AND a huge fan of blue cheese burgers, what was the price please? Sorry for asking, but the food we had was overpriced and that bothered me (as mentioned in my OP)

For sure most places have things that they do well and some that don’t quite hit the mark. I’d never order the token steak in a seafood restaurant for example.

But when eating at a café or bistro, I’d expect that coffee and quiche to be a part of the standard fare and up to the mark.

I think you (as most on this site do) miss the point about food here in Mexico. This is MEXICO, NOT the place you are from. Why would anyone strive to find the same CRAP food from were they are from? USA: Worst food in the world!

If you want a burger or wings or American Chop Suey, go back home! If you want to eat some great food, eat what the local people eat. Jeeezzzzz, you drive by it everyday!

I have never heard of a Mexican Bistro.... Cafe is coffee here, not some snooty out door patio....

Wake up! Smell the cooking Chivas!

My .02

Marley- another well put comment. :). Thank you.

Ilids - aren't you the same poster who had such good things to say about AMI deli - especially their hot dogs? I never thought of deli and hot dogs as Mexican food, but I've been eating in the US most of the time, so I guess You think I've been eating the worst food in the world. (let's put aside that Arizona has some really great Mexican food)

I assume that you will be leading the picket line to shutter the doors at the new Subway, too? I'm not a fan of subway, but I certainly don't insult others who DO enjoy it.

Your comments in the hole in one thread are also unnecessarily rude, though I can't quite figure out who is the target of that rant. But there is no need for insults on ANY forum.

We enjoy walking to Cafe Negro, on Sunday mornings, and for $65 you get 2 eggs (however you want), 2 delightful pancakes with cottage cheese inside (I agree with Mtn Mama: "it is 100 times better than it sounds"), melt in your mouth good, bacon, toast and a fresh fruit cup. I have always enjoyed the coffee and the orange juice is squeezed when it is ordered. Hubby has had the eggs benedict platter and said it was good. We have not been there for lunch, but now that I know there is a bleu-cheese burger there, well, I think my diet is shot!

Marley- another well put comment. :). Thank you.

Ilids - aren't you the same poster who had such good things to say about AMI deli - especially their hot dogs? I never thought of deli and hot dogs as Mexican food, but I've been eating in the US most of the time, so I guess You think I've been eating the worst food in the world. (let's put aside that Arizona has some really great Mexican food)

I assume that you will be leading the picket line to shutter the doors at the new Subway, too? I'm not a fan of subway, but I certainly don't insult others who DO enjoy it.

Your comments in the hole in one thread are also unnecessarily rude, though I can't quite figure out who is the target of that rant. But there is no need for insults on ANY forum.

Not thinking of Deli in Mexico is your mistake! If arizonia 'mexican' is better then Texas BBQ, actually, I am sure there is much better then TX BBQ and TexMex Arz. Try and keep your comments on thread... no need to refer to other topics and shout rude... Was that you at Wings Army today? When are you going home again?

You are right.My bad.

I started this thread, but purposely never mentioned the Perry March connection or considered it in my comments about THE RESTAURANT AND ITS FOOD.

Recognizing that the thread was going in this direction, I previously suggested that the moderators lock it. I'd again make the same request.

Dhrh, I am truly sorry if I sounded like you were the 'bad guy' in this. In fact, the thread was off the hook before your post.

In retrospect, I think it was MY BAD for not recognizing that this would be the result. The history of discord, off topic comments and outright rudeness runs deep on this forum, and I shall keep that on mind when and if I post any further comments.

This poster, who seems to have a contentious streak, should "come down" before posting, or at least work on an attitude adjustment. A civil discussion of people agreeing/disagreeing is par for the course--and welcomed, but this is starting to have the smell of "acrimony". "If you want food like NOB--you should go home". I'm Mexican, and I would never say that to anyone, expecially visitors to my country. Please Jeanette--do not take one person's comments, who IMO is out of line--to heart. Most Mexicans love the diversity that visitors bring to this country, especially food, and enjoy trying new things. We are, after all, talking about food, not replacing The Virgen of Guadalupe.

Archived