Chapala.com Webboard

quick lunch at El Serape

jkgourmet

We always enjoyed this place during our visits in 2008 and 2009, so we had no hesitation going back. Unfortunately, we WOULD hesitate to go back again after this visit.

I know it's TexMex - so I expect certain differences from the usual 'real' Mexican places. I don't expect chips from a bag and salsa from a bottle. And not very good ones at that.

Husband was happy to find hard taco's on the menu - likes them as a change from soft tacos. He ordered on chicken hard taco, which he enjoyed, and one carne asada soft taco. Nothing in the taco but plain beef - no toppings. The only thing that he could put on it to give it some flavor was the bit of shredded lettuce that also arrived with his tacos, and stealing beans and rice off my plate. If the salsa had been decent, that would have been an alternative, but . . .

I ordered a chile relleno, ($51 pesos) which arrived with beans, rice and shredded lettuce. The relleno itself was pretty good - the plate was hot so that kept the cheese soft and runny for awhile and the chile itself was a good spicy one. That was pretty much the best of this experience.

I also think that the menu has changed from our last visits. Entirely in English now, with mostly Gringo Mexican food. If it were good Gringo Mexican food, I'd be fine with that. But, as it is, we'll be going elsewhere.

(PS - I was VERY sorry to see that the pork shank was no longer on the menu. We still drool when thinking of that dish from two years ago.)

We always enjoyed this place during our visits in 2008 and 2009, so we had no hesitation going back. Unfortunately, we WOULD hesitate to go back again after this visit.

I know it's TexMex - so I expect certain differences from the usual 'real' Mexican places. I don't expect chips from a bag and salsa from a bottle. And not very good ones at that.

Husband was happy to find hard taco's on the menu - likes them as a change from soft tacos. He ordered on chicken hard taco, which he enjoyed, and one carne asada soft taco. Nothing in the taco but plain beef - no toppings. The only thing that he could put on it to give it some flavor was the bit of shredded lettuce that also arrived with his tacos, and stealing beans and rice off my plate. If the salsa had been decent, that would have been an alternative, but . . .

I ordered a chile relleno, ($51 pesos) which arrived with beans, rice and shredded lettuce. The relleno itself was pretty good - the plate was hot so that kept the cheese soft and runny for awhile and the chile itself was a good spicy one. That was pretty much the best of this experience.

I also think that the menu has changed from our last visits. Entirely in English now, with mostly Gringo Mexican food. If it were good Gringo Mexican food, I'd be fine with that. But, as it is, we'll be going elsewhere.

(PS - I was VERY sorry to see that the pork shank was no longer on the menu. We still drool when thinking of that dish from two years ago.)

Chamorro is still available on the weekends - try it again.

Guest Gringal

Here's a bit of the other side re El Serape:

As I said about another "ethnic" restaurant: it's nice if it's authentic whatever (Tex-Mex, in this case), but better yet if it's simply GOOD. I can get more critical as the price rises, a la #4, for example.

There are a couple of dishes at El Serape that I order whenever I go there. Chicken crepes with poblano sauce. Stuffed with good white meat, and a memorable sauce. Mi husband likes the big burrito with the red sauce. Their prices are all so reasonable that I'd find it difficult to be too hard on them. I'll give them points for being clean, having pleasant people running it and good enough food for me to return. :020:

Here's a bit of the other side re El Serape:

As I said about another "ethnic" restaurant: it's nice if it's authentic whatever (Tex-Mex, in this case), but better yet if it's simply GOOD. I can get more critical as the price rises, a la #4, for example.

There are a couple of dishes at El Serape that I order whenever I go there. Chicken crepes with poblano sauce. Stuffed with good white meat, and a memorable sauce. Mi husband likes the big burrito with the red sauce. Their prices are all so reasonable that I'd find it difficult to be too hard on them. I'll give them points for being clean, having pleasant people running it and good enough food for me to return. :020:

I'm beginning to suspect that I was either 'in a mood' or we just hit them on a bad day. May have to give them another shot, and the chicken crepes do sound good - love those poblanos!

thanks for the tactful comments and reminders that, sometimes, a return visit is well worth it!

Some more info on EL SARAPE; The menu is in English for gringos, there is a Spanish menu for Mexicanos. There have ALWAYS been two menus. The Specials are listed on the lower left corner of page 2, Chamorro is Fri/Sat. The "salsa" on the table is Pico de Gallo and it's made fresh everyday. If you wish salsa picante either red or green, bottled or home-made you have only to ask. Point being what's on the table isn't "hot sauce." I believe the menu lists the various toppings for tacos, if you don't oder one you'll get plain. It sounds like a closer reading of the menu would have changed your experience for the better. BTW, if you don't see it on the menu chances are good that they'll make it for you. Example: I like Chile Verde enchiladas, no problem. Shrimp quesadillas? Sure. El Sarape has one of the best burgers in town and excellent BBQ Ribs too. I think you rushed to judgement on this one Jeanette. Let's see, good Chile Rellno, good Chicken Taco, but not going back. Huh? We eat at El Sarape at least twice a week, never had a bad meal, never had bad service. And, the BEST margharitas around.

As I've said in my prior post, on reflection, I suspect our not so positive experience today may have been a result of a bad mood on my part, or a bad day on their part.

We've always enjoyed this place before, and I would guess that some of my very first posts from 2008 reflect that.

Atlas, I'm afraid I can't agree that this was pick de gallo. This was watery, red, not fresh - bottled Salsa. We were there at noon on a Monday - perhaps the fresh pico was not yet made.

Nevertheless, I appreciate other points of view, other opinions. Based on the experiences of others. ( and our own positive visits in prior years) We WILL revisit.

Again, thank you for the reminder to listen to other opinions. Gracias.

I do think this is one of those'depends what you order' type places - recommend the chicken crepes, a nice subtle flavour,with no "mystery meat" and a bit addictive.

I think they make a very good version of sopa azteca and it is filling enough for a light meal, but our real favourite is the pork chops with chipotle cream sauce - it is the daily special [ tuesdays?, wednesdays?] sometimes, but have also been able to order it when not officially on the menu.

Chamorro is not my favourite dish, love gnawing away at the meat, but find the sauce a bit bland - however I found El Serape's serving of this oversized plate to be easily on a par with Tony's - and it's easy enough to woop up the flavour with a bit of hot sauce.

And I do agree that a restaurant with such low prices and a pleasant and attentive staff gets a bit of leeway in my book.

Marcos caters to the Gringo population here and hence the mild seasoning. You can season to your taste if need be. One of my favorite items is "Tia's Burrito." IMHO, he does a good job with an extensive menu. Regardless, his food will not be the same as your favorite place NOB. If you can find better locally I'd like to know about it.

Archived