Chapala.com Webboard

Simply Thai - Ajijic

jkgourmet

Whoops, wrong thread. Sorry, can't find a way to delete a post

You cannot delete a post - but you can delete the text in a post

to delete the contents (text) of a thread - go to edit (lower right hand corner of post) delete contents and add a character (any.

Guest Gringal

Maybe nobody responded because nobody understands what is being said.

At the risk of engaging in pure guesswork, I think he's suggesting that those who haven't tasted the true flavors of a particular ethnic cuisine in its country of origin wouldn't know if the local interpretation was any good or not. Perhaps . IMO, everybody eats, so everybody's a food critic in his/her own mind.

When we first contemplated moving here a few years ago, we were told that the only restaurants around here were either "taco stands", Tony's barbeque and Tom's bar. A dismal prospect. We were delighted to find other choices, flawed or not. I find some of the food debates going on here to be downright hilarious.

We're in the boonies. What can we expect, anyway? Wolfgang Puck or Chez Panisse? :lol:

I have always enjoyed the chimichangas muchaca at el Serape. However the last two times I ordered they brought me chimichangas with pollo. Once was a mistake. Twice? I don't return.

What did you order? BTW, this probably belongs in the EL SARAPE thread.

At the risk of engaging in pure guesswork, I think he's suggesting that those who haven't tasted the true flavors of a particular ethnic cuisine in its country of origin wouldn't know if the local interpretation was any good or not. Perhaps . IMO, everybody eats, so everybody's a food critic in his/her own mind.

When we first contemplated moving here a few years ago, we were told that the only restaurants around here were either "taco stands", Tony's barbeque and Tom's bar. A dismal prospect. We were delighted to find other choices, flawed or not. I find some of the food debates going on here to be downright hilarious.

We're in the boonies. What can we expect, anyway? Wolfgang Puck or Chez Panisse? :lol:

We went to Tai-Spice on Sunday. Robert and Kay are trying to provide additional dishes-one that we tried was papaya salad made from green papaya. Robert and others tell us that this is a very popular and traditional dish in Thailand. They had to special order the green papaya at los abastos.

I've never been to Thailand so don't know what "authentic" papaya salad should taste like. But I thought Robert's dish was fabulous and will definitely try it again,and I really could care less if it's the same as the dish in Thailand. Robert has several other customers who have had it in Thailand,and they reacted very favorably.

Another new dish is salt-and-pepper shrimp/chicken/tofu, either individually or mixed. Kay says it's popular in Taiwan-it also was excellent. I've had it three times now and have never been to Taiwan. I have no idea whether it is authentic,but don't really care. It's good and I will order it again.

We went to Tai-Spice on Sunday. Robert and Kay are trying to provide additional dishes-one that we tried was papaya salad made from green papaya. Robert and others tell us that this is a very popular and traditional dish in Thailand. They had to special order the green papaya at los abastos.

I've never been to Thailand so don't know what "authentic" papaya salad should taste like. But I thought Robert's dish was fabulous and will definitely try it again,and I really could care less if it's the same as the dish in Thailand. Robert has several other customers who have had it in Thailand,and they reacted very favorably.

Another new dish is salt-and-pepper shrimp/chicken/tofu, either individually or mixed. Kay says it's popular in Taiwan-it also was excellent. I've had it three times now and have never been to Taiwan. I have no idea whether it is authentic,but don't really care. It's good and I will order it again.

Green papaya and green mango salads are as ubiquitous in Thailand as pad Thai. Both green mango and green papaya are also used as bar snacks served with chili much like jicama and cucumber here.

Of course, as with all foods that are widespread, there are many variations of green papaya salad, but most in my experience have a generous helping of the small red and green Thai chilis.

I lived for a few years in SE Asia and am reasonably familiar with the foods of Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and in a more limited sense, Indonesia and Vietnam. But this does not make me an expert.

Archived