Chapala.com Webboard

Mariscos Peter - Ajijic

jkgourmet

Thanks to some suggestions on this board, we had an early dinner at Mariscos Peter a few nights ago.

Plain but clean. Pleasant service. Husband ordered the fillet with garlic, while I ordered a filet with a name that began with the letter "Z". (sorry, I cannot remember the exact name). Frankly, I didn't know what I was ordering, but figured it would be fun to just wing it.

Each plate arrived with two huge fillets, rice, salad. The fish was very thin, but again, a very large serving. White fish of some sort, delicious and fresh tasting. Husband's garlic fillet was wonderful, with the usual garlic of some burnt bits, but not so many as other places sometimes turn out, so that bitter burnt garlic taste was not a problem here. My entree turned out to be breaded fillet, light and perfectly prepared. No oily fried fish here.

Additionally, this might be some of the best rice we've had around here (been a bit disappointed with the sides of rice in Lakeside). In addition to the salad, there was a lump of white stuff. Husband thought it was cold mashed potatoes. I thought it was some kind of potato salad that had been mashed to a pulp. Whatever it was, when we go back, I'll ask to leave it off. Maybe I'll be lucky and get some extra rice.

Entree's ranged from $90 to $110 pesos. Shrimp looked wonderful as well. We were the only Gringo's in the restaurant, nearly 1/3 full when we left at about 7PM.

Mariscos Peter-. On the carretera west of Ajijic, next to La Huerta Plaza.

Plain but clean. Pleasant service. Husband ordered the fillet with garlic, while I ordered a filet with a name that began with the letter "Z". (sorry, I cannot remember the exact name). Frankly, I didn't know what I was ordering, but figured it would be fun to just wing it.

"Zarandeado" is the word you're looking for. A style of cooking seafood found all along the Mexican Pacific Coast.

Try the grilled "Camarones Zarandeado". Some of the best shrimp lakeside. And make sure you order them "con cáscara" as in "with the shells".

Forgot one thing - the wine prices were a bit out of whack. $35 pesos for a glass of red, which arrived ice cold in a tall champagne flute. Very small serving. Husband was fine with his beer, and next time I'll get a Coke Light.

Nevertheless, well worth a return visit.

Archived