Chapala.com Webboard

Accommodations in San Miguel de Allende

Orygun Duck

We're looking for moderately priced accommodations ($40-75 USD/night) in SMA. An Internet search brought up a number of very nice B and Bs but most appeared to be in the USD150 and up range. Very elegant but we usually don't spend a lot of time in our hotel room. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The first time I went to Scotland I was visiting East Kilbride near Glascow. I asked a Scot friend what I should visit in Glascow if I had a free day, he said, "Go to Edinbourgh." If someone asked me where to stay in SMA I'd say go to Guanajuato. It's a more culturally rich, historically important, charming and not at all gringofied. SMA defines "gringolandia" IMHO. As you've already found out, it's expensive to stay there. That's your tipoff.

We're looking for moderately priced accommodations ($40-75 USD/night) in SMA. An Internet search brought up a number of very nice B and Bs but most appeared to be in the USD150 and up range. Very elegant but we usually don't spend a lot of time in our hotel room. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Try this hotel: http://www.naftaconnect.com/hotellaaldea/.

Look at these:

http://www.quintaloreto.com.mx/english.html

http://portalsanmiguel.com/business-listing/?bizid=413

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g151932-d169833-Reviews-Quinta_Loreto-San_Miguel_de_Allende_Central_Mexico_and_Gulf_Coast.html

No first hand experience with any of them but close to your price range.

Tourism is dramatically down. Just off the jardine down from Starbuck's on Hidalgo are hotels in the 350 to 450 p per night range. There is no real need to book in advance so come and check them out. The hotel on Loreto as noted above is another great location but never have I been inside. From there walking to most attractions is easy and taxis 25 p in the city. You will also find many inexpensive restaurants and lots of 2 for 1 drinks etc. John

We have found that renting homes in SMA to be far cheaper than B&Bs. The rental market is soft there, too, prices are lower than we've ever seen them, and you will find owners willing to rent for less than a week (something that was hard to find in the past). Try vrbo.com and homeaway.com.

We have found a great place on a street we know and like (quiet, too) for 3 nights next month that we will share with another couple who are coming down to visit. It will be 62.50 USD per couple per night and it affords all of us a lot of privacy, comfort and space.

Buena Suerte!

The first time I went to Scotland I was visiting East Kilbride near Glascow. I asked a Scot friend what I should visit in Glascow if I had a free day, he said, "Go to Edinbourgh." If someone asked me where to stay in SMA I'd say go to Guanajuato. It's a more culturally rich, historically important, charming and not at all gringofied. SMA defines "gringolandia" IMHO. As you've already found out, it's expensive to stay there. That's your tipoff.

Got your point. Any recommendations for accommodations in Guanajuato (w/ parking). We're planning to drive. Thanks.

Got your point. Any recommendations for accommodations in Guanajuato (w/ parking). We're planning to drive. Thanks.

Search "Guanajuato" on here as there are recent posts. The drive from Guanjuato to Dolores Hidalgo is gorgeous. Apartment in Guanajuato: http://gtoapartment.com/default.aspx

PM me if you want to rent a house even if briefly. I have either one of two available if before Sept. and within your price range.

SMA is far less "gringolandia" than Ajijic. There are about the same number of expats in SMA as lakeside but spread amongst much greater population vs lakeside. Visit the jardine and you may see 5% expats and only a few 'cotton tops" as many are in their 30's and 40's and compare that to Ajijc where the jardine majority are very retired seniors. The majority of tourists in SMA are now from Mexico City and Queretaro etc on weekends. One can identify the MC people by accents.

Any recommendations for accommodations in Guanajuato (w/ parking). We're planning to drive. Thanks.

Have not yet stayed here (we have reservations in August), has good comments at TripAdvisor and is reasonable in price. The owner, Rick, has an arrangement with a nearby secure parking lot, at a modest daily rate (60p, I think).

casa zuniga

Guest Gringal

Have not yet stayed here (we have reservations in August), has good comments at TripAdvisor and is reasonable in price. The owner, Rick, has an arrangement with a nearby secure parking lot, at a modest daily rate (60p, I think).

casa zuniga

I think the OP question was about staying in San Miguel. Guanajuato is also a great place to visit.

We recently stayed at the centrally located, huge Hotel Real de los Minas in San Miguel. You can get deals as low as $59 a night during the slow season. Check the web. Comfortable rooms and decent food in the dining room. Taxis in front to take you all around town. Only masochists enjoy driving the streets there. There are parking garages, but not free. Free parking in secure lot behind hotel. They have another hotel in that chain in Guanajuato, too, but I hear the prices are higher.

We have stayed at Casa Maricela several times. It is an easy walk from the plaza. Maricela serves comida as well as breakfast, and the rooms are charming.

www.casa-maricela.com/homepage.html

+52 415 152 6631

+1 409 209 0030

A little Spanish is helpful, but not at all necessary.

Any recommendations for accommodations in Guanajuato (w/ parking). We're planning to drive. Thanks.

I think the OP question was about staying in San Miguel.

He asked about both. It's a nice combination trip; also recommend Dolores Hidalgo for talavera shopping and a stop at the church at Atontonilco, outside of SMA.

I think the OP question was about staying in San Miguel. Guanajuato is also a great place to visit.

We recently stayed at the centrally located, huge Hotel Real de los Minas in San Miguel. You can get deals as low as $59 a night during the slow season. Check the web. Comfortable rooms and decent food in the dining room. Taxis in front to take you all around town. Only masochists enjoy driving the streets there. There are parking garages, but not free. Free parking in secure lot behind hotel. They have another hotel in that chain in Guanajuato, too, but I hear the prices are higher.

Sorry, I guess I hijacked my own thread. Interested in recommendations for both places. Appreciate the responses thus far. Thanks!

SMA is far less "gringolandia" than Ajijic. There are about the same number of expats in SMA as lakeside but spread amongst much greater population vs lakeside. Visit the jardine and you may see 5% expats and only a few 'cotton tops" as many are in their 30's and 40's and compare that to Ajijc where the jardine majority are very retired seniors. The majority of tourists in SMA are now from Mexico City and Queretaro etc on weekends. One can identify the MC people by accents.

I think that's a matter of opinion. Every time I've been in SMA there appears to be many more expats than Mexicans there. I don't think anyone has an accurate count of the expat community in either place, but each community accuses the other of having more gringos. Interesting.

We started going to SMA in 2007; went several times, thinking that was where we'd buy our MXN house. Then, a friend suggested Ajijic; we came, we saw, we fell in love with it and bought a house here.

I didn't see any difference in the ratio of gingo:local MXNs walking around SMA than I do in Ajijic. In fact, we saw the same ones over and over again every night on the SMA Jardin and most were older than me, at the time I was 53.

We decided on Ajijic because of the lake (we live a stone's throw from it and can walk our kayaks to the shoreline); the proximity of GDL airport (getting to SMA requires about 90 minutes of ground trnsportation from the nearest airport); and after staying so many months in SMA, and then coming to Ajijic, we found the local MXN community to be friendlier to gringos compared to SMA. We found walking around SMA difficult, not because of the hills but because the sidewalks in Centro are sooooooo narrow, that in most instances you have to step into a busy street to get by someone walking in the other direction. The car traffic is far busier and more aggressive than at Lakeside, faster and noisier and lots more of it, very late into the night. And talk about party animals....the DF'ers (people from Mexico City, Distrito Federal) put our Tapatio weekenders to shame!

SMA is indeed a great place to visit; we've gone back every year since we bought our house in Ajijic, but it's not as livable for us as Ajijic. Everyone has different wants, needs and aspirations.

These sort of 'peeing contests' over whose hometown is better, are futile. However, since "Ajijic" who actually lives in SMA took the time to make his point in favor of living in SMA, I felt compelled to do the same for living in Ajijic.

Bisbee sorry not a pissing contest but a reference to the second post by Atlas. The expat community is a far less percentage of population was my point. In the jardine recently the count was about 2000 people doing Zumba. i was there and definitely no more than a 20 max of expats. Of course if one goes early in a.m. one sees more expats as the Mexicans are working but later in day they vastly outnumber expats. This is based on my being in the jardine several times a week and also involved with schools which means meeting many parents who have young children and they are in 30's and 40's. Both places has there pluses and I like both.

Now back to the OP and as suggested... drive the loop including Gunajuato and Dolores if you have time.... no need to book rooms in advance. Lots of empty rooms and great prices in center. Search and you will find lots of suggestions in here for SMA and Gunajuato. PM if you want suggestions re food, hot springs etc. John

Bisbee sorry not a pissing contest but a reference to the second post by Atlas. The expat community is a far less percentage of population was my point. In the jardine recently the count was about 2000 people doing Zumba. i was there and definitely no more than a 20 max of expats. Of course if one goes early in a.m. one sees more expats as the Mexicans are working but later in day they vastly outnumber expats. This is based on my being in the jardine several times a week and also involved with schools which means meeting many parents who have young children and they are in 30's and 40's. Both places has there pluses and I like both.

Now back to the OP and as suggested... drive the loop including Gunajuato and Dolores if you have time.... no need to book rooms in advance. Lots of empty rooms and great prices in center. Search and you will find lots of suggestions in here for SMA and Gunajuato. PM if you want suggestions re food, hot springs etc. John

I should have seen this coming. Restaurants, the LCS and places to live/visit are the third rail of this Web board. :rolleyes:

Thanks again to all for their helpful suggestions.

In Guanajuato we stay at La Abadia. They have three hotels, we stay at the "Traditional." www.hoteleslaabadia.com

Atlas didn't say there were more gringos in SMA but rather that SMA is more "gringofied" than Guanajuato. The restaurants and shopping are targeted towards gringos/tourists. It's too "touristy" for me. We never saw Mexicans in any of the restaurants we dined in. Compared to Lakeside we found the food and drink expensive. Housing developments with a "concierge" on duty, crystal deviners, and palm readers all are available in SMA. Though a pretty city it's just not my cup of tea. Certainly worth a visit to see what you think.

http://www.realdeminas.com/

499 p per person includes breakfast .... nice hotel.

Must be the high season in SMA now. Most reasonably priced hotels appear to be either full or have doubled their rates (at least for coming Sunday and Monday nights).

Must be the high season in SMA now. Most reasonably priced hotels appear to be either full or have doubled their rates (at least for coming Sunday and Monday nights).

'

The price I quoted 499 p PER PERSON per night is still on their web site. But I would go walk Hidalgo down from Starbucks and find a room for 2 people for less than half as are many others near centro.

Archived