Chapala.com Webboard

Another FMM/FM3 experience

sparks

So who's done this and does it mean we need to fill out an FMM on the plane or airport. What's the proceedure for leaving with airlines and immigration ... we don't need our 2 part forms?

Again, my point- we had to fill out an FMM (the new tourist card) even though we have FM3s. Previously immigration had always insisted there was NO way any person could have both an FM3 AND a tourist card, and always reminded us to NOT fill out a tourist card, but to use the "red form" which really isn't red at all- it is white with red printing- always a chuckle. Anyway, the red form is now obsolete and EVERY foriegner must fill out an FMM. No one seems to know how long until the card replaces the FM3 passport type book.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24140744.cfm

With the new system, it seems that the FMM is used to check out of, and into Mexico, regardless of your main immigration credential.

The FMT is dead and gone, unless you still hold one and haven't finished your allotted stay in Mexico on that document. The last one of those will vanish in late October.

The FME is already gone for good.

Another response to that post .... so guess the ticket counter has the form when leaving Mexico

And, keep in mind too that this (presumably temporary) measure requires that you make a stop at the airport immigration office to have a new exit doc stamped prior to exiting the country. Said doc is supplied by your airline at the check-in counter, and must be returned complete BEFORE any boarding passes are issued. IOW (depending upon on MX airport), DO plan sufficient additional pre-flight/airport arrival time for necessary x-airport hike-n-back before proceeding to your boarding gate.

Have done it several times since May and the procedure is unchanged for FM-3 holders. Before checking in at your airline, visit the INM window. The process is the same--only the form is different: instead of a 2-part form original plus carbon, the form is now stock paper that is perforated. You get the form at the INM window (I get spares and fill them out in advance to keep me, and the line, moving), fill out both sides (except on the "return" side you are supposed to leave the specific transporation (flight info) blank till you return, I guess for changes in plans), give to the INM officer and he does his stamping. You retain the smaller side for your return (like we did the carbon previously). Almost al the info is the same as previous, just a little more consistent (the English and Spanish FME forms, previously, were slightly different).

Usual piece of cake, unless you need to track down the INM officer via the 2km hike. Then, it's still easy, but a brisk walk.

Guess it may differ a bit per airport. Other reports were from Cabo and Zihua. Since I'll be leaving from Guad I'll take your suggestion

Wouldn't doubt it differs a bit from place to place, but the procedure was the same from Cancun early May and PV a few weeks ago also. ¡Buen viaje!

Have done it several times since May and the procedure is unchanged for FM-3 holders. Before checking in at your airline, visit the INM window. The process is the same--only the form is different: instead of a 2-part form original plus carbon, the form is now stock paper that is perforated. You get the form at the INM window (I get spares and fill them out in advance to keep me, and the line, moving), fill out both sides (except on the "return" side you are supposed to leave the specific transporation (flight info) blank till you return, I guess for changes in plans), give to the INM officer and he does his stamping. You retain the smaller side for your return (like we did the carbon previously). Almost al the info is the same as previous, just a little more consistent (the English and Spanish FME forms, previously, were slightly different).

Usual piece of cake, unless you need to track down the INM officer via the 2km hike. Then, it's still easy, but a brisk walk.

My experience was slightly different....in May at the Guadalajara airport......leaving for LAX. I was given the larger side to retain for my return to Mexico and the INM Officer filled in my outbound flight in the specific flight information area???????????

Archived