Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurant recs for shrimp and fish?

jkgourmet

Been to Lety's and Cozumel (both of which we liked, in different ways, but neither came close to the shrimp dinners we had in San Carlos, Sonora.)

We would like to try some other places that offer shrimp and fish prepared in the usual Mexican sauces - garlic, diablo, bacon wrapped, Veracruz. Not so much interested in cocktails. We'd like some suggestions that have more aesthetic appeal than Lety's and better sides that Cozumel (though we liked the shrimp and fish there).

Try the other seafood restaurants on the malecon, near Cozumel, as well as Los Cinco Potrillos in Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos.

We'll be interested in your opinion.

My favorite Camarones a la Diabla is at Caroli's in Ajijic. They'll do it with or without the shells....I prefer mine "sin cascaras" because otherwise it's too damn much work, and a mess. He also does a nice mojo de ajo filet. There is absolutely zero ambiance in this restaurant though. I don't care, his food is worth it. On the corner of Ocampo and Morelos, smack in downtown Ajijic.

Mariscos Peter is pretty good, too. On the carretera west of Ajijic, next to La Huerta Plaza. One day he had the outdoor BBQ going, and was doing some kind of whole fish in an (I think, maybe) achiote marinade. "I'll have one of those, please." Don't even know what type of fish I ordered, but it was tasty.

Tony's in San Antonio does a good whole fried Huachinango when he offers it.

The best selection of fresh fish is at Tabarka, which is a bit Spanish/Mediterrenean in style. Roberto's does excellent fish, but usually not in the Mexican style. Some of the restaurants in Piedra Barranada do good shrimp too.

Try La Piedra de Iguana at the far end of "restaurant row" on the hwy in San Juan Cosala. Their shrimp empanadas are really good as an entree for one or an appetizer for tow - four people!!! It's also a beautiful setting for comida - so you can look around the lake.

A second for Tarbarka—and their white wine by the glass is really quite good and sold at a fair price, considering the quality.

I think that you can get quite good fish at La Taverna—their specials are often quite good and interesting.

Agree with the rec for fish at Tabarka - I wrote about it a few weeks ago. And the red wine by the glass was dandy.

thanks to the other recommendations as well - gives me more places to visit! :)

You might like this one, as not only did it have the best shrimp "al gusto" I've ever had... it's also on an island in the middle of the lake. You can grab a boat for about $250 pesos (by the load) or so and head out to Scorpion Island, from the malecon in Chapala. There are four restaurants there; the one located on the westmost tip has a great view of the north shore, and excellent shrimp, and really cold beer.

Guest Gringal

A second for Tony's shrimp when he has the "special"; done your way; lots of good shrimp on the plate.

Fish: not Mexican style, but Roberto's for the sea bass and also the Chapala sole. :020:

Thanks, you have single handedly ruined a well kept secret.

Dam, no kidding, palce will be packed in acouple weeks. Lvoe it, love it, any fish off the BBQ...

I have like Lety's breaded shrimp, or what we in the south would call fried. Seems like most places use a cornmeal type breading and would like to see more of an all flour breaded. Not tempura mind you which is more of a battered technique. Any thoughts?

Archived