Chapala.com Webboard

Return visit to Cozumel - Chapala

jkgourmet

Knowing that the shrimp is good and loving the bargain of the free margarita's or wine, we returned again to Cozumel last night. As we have always found, the service was excellent and the ambiance (okay, I confess: I like restaurants with ferns) is better than some other places. (Meaning: We enjoy the food at Lety's, but the place is a bit rustic and dusty, and for the same prices, doesn't offer the freebies. Maybe that makes me snobby, but more likely, it makes me a cheap.)

Dishes of an unusual sweet and spicy salsa, limes and raw red onion mixed with jalapenos was delivered with a basket of fresh tasting tostada chips and saltines. Like that salsa - it gets hotter as you eat it, and reminds me a bit of some Thai sauces I've had. They also brought out a few chips with beans and melted cheese "nachos" that husband enjoyed more than me (I'm not a huge fan of refried beans.)

I ordered the breaded shrimp. For $110 pesos, I received 8 good size perfectly cooked shrimp with sides of rice, salad and vegies. All the sides were bland, at best. The shrimp were excellent, but the dip was not the US style red cocktail sauce. This was a pink sauce, heavy on the mayo, mixed with what I suspect was plain ketchup. Heated up with a bit of hot sauce made it better.

Husband ordered the garlic shrimp, which I remembered enjoying from past visits. $100 pesos for the unbutterflied order, which delivered 9 good size fresh shrimp. Same bland sides. This preparation is different that the standard scampi garlic shrimp. The sauce contains browned bits of garlic and guajillo chile. This dish was as good as we remembered it, and we enjoyed it. But There is a certain bitter taste when garlic is cooked to a brown color - some people don't like it. We do, and the guajillo chiles only added to the interesting flavors.

Free margs and wine make this one of the best bargains around, IMO. BUT next time, I'll ask for fries instead of the rice, and probably be much happier.

My favorite dish at Cozumel was always the huachinango dorado: a whole red snapper, very lightly floured and fried to perfection. Wish I had one right now!

Give it a try sometime. It's fabulous.

My favorite dish at Cozumel was always the huachinango dorado: a whole red snapper, very lightly floured and fried to perfection. Wish I had one right now!

Give it a try sometime. It's fabulous.

We had that on one of our visit last year. Thanks for the reminder. It WAS good, but husband gets impatient with the bones. Maybe I'll order that next time, which means he won't be stealing food off my plate :) Though that will never stop me from tasting off his plate!

We love Cozumel. I especially enjoy the frogs legs. Jeanette, thanks for your insightful restaurant reports. Keep 'em coming!

I considered the frog's legs (difficult to find in the states), but hesitated. Next time, that may well be my choice. Suggestions as to how I should ask them to prepare them?

Archived