Chapala.com Webboard

Adelita's in San Antonio - Any good?

jkgourmet

Guest chapalajoe

Haven't been to this one yet, but they have music tomorrow. Trying to decide whether to eat here or elsewhere. Thoughts?

I have a personal aversion to that place because of a confrontation with the owner. Entertainment is average to better-than-good, but food leaves a lot to be desired.

Back when "Got Boots?" debuted, I reserved a table for 10. (I was listed as part of the entertainment, believe it or not!) They served beef ribs (not pork) that were so tough, so terrible that no one at my table could eat them. I joked that "Got Boots?" referred to that meal, which was little better than shoe leather. In hindsight, we should have sent it back and refused to pay for it. We ended up with a bag full of expensive dog food as carry-out!

On the second occasion, when I (as part of the evening's entertainment) was charged the "minimum" I protested; that's when the trouble really started. The owner sent me e-mails that stated that my friends and I were cheapskates and that the restaurant was better off without us; that we should stay away.

We have, and we will continue to stay away. There are too many other places to choose from. We don't need that.

:012:

We prefer Tomas in Chapala. There is no cover and no minimum; food is excellent. Jerry Mayfield entertains on Saturdays.

I have a personal aversion to that place because of a confrontation with the owner. Entertainment is average to better-than-good, but food leaves a lot to be desired.

Back when "Got Boots?" debuted, I reserved a table for 10. (I was listed as part of the entertainment, believe it or not!) They served beef ribs (not pork) that were so tough, so terrible that no one at my table could eat them. I joked that "Got Boots?" referred to that meal, which was little better than shoe leather. In hindsight, we should have sent it back and refused to pay for it. We ended up with a bag full of expensive dog food as carry-out!

On the second occasion, when I (as part of the evening's entertainment) was charged the "minimum" I protested; that's when the trouble really started. The owner sent me e-mails that stated that my friends and I were cheapskates and that the restaurant was better off without us; that we should stay away.

We have, and we will continue to stay away. There are too many other places to choose from. We don't need that.

:012:

We prefer Tomas in Chapala. There is no cover and no minimum; food is excellent. Jerry Mayfield entertains on Saturdays.

can you tell me a bit more about the type of music Jerry Mayfield performs and the location of Tomas. (Part of the reason we are interested in Adelita's is that we can walk there, but that's not essential.) And since this IS a food area of the forum, what's good on the menu of Tomas?

Guest chapalajoe

can you tell me a bit more about the type of music Jerry Mayfield performs and the location of Tomas. (Part of the reason we are interested in Adelita's is that we can walk there, but that's not essential.) And since this IS a food area of the forum, what's good on the menu of Tomas?

Jerry Mayfield is a C&W singer; he does Marty Robbins very well. He does some Hank Williams, Sr. well, too. Lately, he's been showcasing another entertainer, Virgil, who is a good guitarist but his singing (Johnny Cash mostly) leaves a lot to be desired. Once in a while, Jerry has allowed me to sing some Jim Reeves numbers.

Food? I've never had anything that wasn't great to excellent. My preferences are seafood: shrimp a la diabla or beer-battered fish are excellent!

Location? Drive to Chapala and turn left at the traffic light. Proceed through the intersection at TelMex and after that take the 1st available left turn. (Don't do like I did one night: I turned left too soon and found myself in the left-turn lane for on-coming traffic and had to perform a hasty maneuver to the lateral on the left in order to prevent a head-on!) Once you've successfully turned left (I think the street is L. Cardenas), take the 1st available left turn (Obregon?) and drive until you see Tomas on your left, just across from the soccer field.

If I can access your e-mail, I'll send you a map (.jpg image).

Tomas has always been known for its steak sandwiches.

Easier directions: Take the libramiento to Chapala. At the corner past the Pemex(not at the light by the Pemex) turn right. It is on the right on the next corner

When you get there, the bar is downstairs and the entertainment and more tables are upstairs.

Follow Shira's directions; the others have an error. I think Pemex should be substituted for "Telmex", which isn't at that location.

I would sugget that you eat elsewhere, and then swing by to catch the music.

Have tried a few "specials" - goulash and the like - tasted like school dinners[if you are an ex Brit] or hospital food. The salad that comes with the meal is dull,dull,dull athough a friend said the caesar was quite good, but VERY garlicky.

I too prefer Tomas's in Chapala - inexpensive and a nice atmosphere. They make really good shrimp,fresh tasting and not overcooked,and a big portion, I also enjoy the fish fillet there. You can order the chicken wings from the bar menu,and they are excellent,make a nice appetiser.

Don't know if the owner's son's band still plays there once a week - they are bad !

After a discussion with the locals who did my nails today, I'll pass on the food at Adelita's - likely to hit the taco stand on the square then go to Adelita's to hear the music. When a local sadly tells me they "were sick" after eating a chicken burrito, I listen!

Guest chapalajoe

When you get there, the bar is downstairs and the entertainment and more tables are upstairs.

Follow Shira's directions; the others have an error. I think Pemex should be substituted for "Telmex", which isn't at that location.

I would sugget that you eat elsewhere, and then swing by to catch the music.

Of course I meant "PeMex" instead of "TelMex"! What a doofus!!!

:blink:

That's why I offered a map!!!!

Hey, I'm a senior citizen....

Am I not allowed an occasional mistake????

:lol:

But I have never had a bad meal there, so the "eat elsewhere" advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt (and a margarita)!

:rolleyes:

Guest chapalajoe

The topic, "Adelitas" in San Antonio, was interrupted by a brief conversation about "Tomas" in Chapala. Read carefully, don't get lost.

Adelita's is the best

for what??

Mia culpa! Mia culpa! I didn't mean to high-jack the thread and make it a discussion of Tomas. Sorry! But, in addition to the various PM's that were exchanged, I felt as if I needed to respond to Jeanette (the OP) when she asked about Tomas.

I myself got lost in the thread and confused one with the other when senor vivo suggested eating elsewhere, thinking the reference was to Tomas. I see now that she & I are in agreement about the food at Adelita's as compared to Tomas.

It's hell getting old!!

:lol:

But I do have to call into question the post by traderspoc by reiterating the one by ibbocat: "for what?"

:P

Archived