Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurante Viva Mexico - San Juan Cosala

jkgourmet

How could I have forgotten to write about this when we went last weekend! We enjoyed our walk through the town of SJC, then stopped at Viva Mexico for a late lunch. Lovely place, all indoors, but airy and clean. Very traditional Mexican feel to the restaurant as well as the town.

I was delighted when I looked at the menu and saw Chiles en Nogada (about $110 pesos). A dish that I had read about, but never had the opportunity to try. I've had picadillo before, but they are all so different that it's not fair to compare, IMO. In this dish, the picadello contained raisins, walnuts and chopped beef (not ground) and some other undefinable spices, stuffed into a poblano chile. The chile was topped with the traditional walnut sauce and pomegranate seeds. I'm not usually a fan of fruit (including raisins) mixed in with my meat, but this was only a bit sweet, but very addicting. Rice on the side was excellent.

As part of the adventure of the meal, I ordered a drink called Vampira. The server tried to tell me what was in it - and I heard tequila, sangria, and lime. The best way I can describe this is a margarita mixed into some sweetish red wine, served on the rocks. Interesting change of pace. One VERY large serving (and heavy on the tequila) was $35 pesos.

Husband wanted the posole, which is only available on Saturday and Sunday. For some reason, it was not available, and since no one spoke English and our Spanish is embarrassingly limited, we were unable to determine why. We'll visit again, next time asking our housekeeper to call them for us in advance to determine the hours that we can get posole. Instead, he ordered the BBQ ribs, which were tender and good (though he preferred the ones at Mario's in San Antonio, which were saucier and more similar to the American style that he is used to.)

This is a great place to take out of towners who want to experience a bit of "real Mexico" but still want to feel comfortable. (The less adventurous ones, I mean.) And it's an easy drive. Next time, we'll have lunch first, then the walk around the town, and stop at one of the lakeside restaurants for drinks before driving home.

http://www.tequilasource.com/sangrita/

Above you will find the main ingredient in your Vampiro, I am sure you will recognize a couple of the bottles if you have spent anytime looking for liquor here. There are also recipes for homemade sangrita on the web, look for one that is tomato juice based. The bottled ones can be doctored up for more body flavor with Herdez veggie beverage, either rgualr or spicy depending on your taste buds.

I like the Sangrita in Patzcuaro best because they do not have the predilection for the bottled stuff from Jalisco and generally when you get a Sangrita with your Tequila in Patzcuaro that Sangrita is somebody's family recipe. Its the only way, tequila and a Sangrita chaser.

Can you give directions to the restaurant?

Of course! sorry I didn't do that in the first place.

Porfirio Diaz Pte. #92 in San Juan Cosala A block and a half from the Plaza, towards Joco (I get my east and west confused around here). If you are coming from the square, the restaurant will be on your right.

Open Monday to Friday from Noon to 10 p.m. and Weekends from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. (I think)

Of course! sorry I didn't do that in the first place.

Porfirio Diaz Pte. #92 in San Juan Cosala A block and a half from the Plaza, towards Joco (I get my east and west confused around here). If you are coming from the square, the restaurant will be on your right.

Open Monday to Friday from Noon to 10 p.m. and Weekends from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. (I think)

That's very helpful - thanks. Where do you turn off of the Carretera to get to the Plaza?

The new menu is very difficult to deal with. Why? Because everything sounds so wonderful that it is impossible to choose what to order.

Augustine, the owner and chef, suggested the fajitas with a sauce made with chipotle the last time I was there. It was excellent and had a slight bit of a bite. It was very different than the usual fajitas.

Augustine speaks fluent English. Ask for him if you run ito a problem and need input.

Everything is good there.

Hate to add my two cents worth after all the glowing reviews - deep breath and damn the torpedos.

We ate here with group of eight visitors who had thoroughly enjoyed meals at Tabarka,Jose's Illusion[gone now]Vicki's Hideaway,Taqueria Jessica,Super Burrito,El Sarape,Roberto's ,one of the seafood joints towards Cosala,the taco stall at chapala market,birria in Joco and of course a wonderful evening at Tango. during their stay.

I ordered the Chile en Nogado,and probably made the best choice, although a bit sweet for my taste, I have had it served elsewhere[La Tasca] better.

The rest ordered various Mexican type dishes, all different, and were not impressed - food was luke warm, and seemed like it had been cooked earlier then[barely]reheated or something, they all mentioned a slightly rancid smell/flavour, possibly the cheese or oil used ?

Now, we had arrived fairly late by lakeside gringo standards,around 9 pm, but since it serves a mexican clientele,with people coming in as we left, I don't feel that should be an issue. We had also had a minor domestic in car trying to find the place in the dark, so were probably cranky to start off with, but we are not a hard crowd to please generally, and all were less than enthused.

Service was good, the guys had fancied the ribs, and the owner was very gracious and super apologetic because they had run out - he is most charming. Prices are really good, and we like the ambience, but the food just didn't cut it - perhaps just a bad night.

Pass the second tope in SJC coming from Ajijic and you will also see a big radio type tower on the left. Turn left after the second tope and you will be on the east side of the plaza. As soon as you pass the plaza immediately turn right. Go down a couple of blocks and it is on the right.

The traveler

Pass the second tope in SJC coming from Ajijic and you will also see a big radio type tower on the left. Turn left after the second tope and you will be on the east side of the plaza. As soon as you pass the plaza immediately turn right. Go down a couple of blocks and it is on the right.

The traveler

Thanks very much, Traveler!

Archived