Chapala.com Webboard

Pizzaria Toscanna - Riberas

jkgourmet

As reported by others and by friends, this place makes very good, real wood fired pizza. Thin crust. toppings were generous, especially the cheese. We have pizza loving relatives visiting from Chicago next month and would happily take them here for pizza.

Wine available by the glass ($35 pesos?) or by the bottle, which actually turned out to be a carafe of some kind of shiraz that went nicely with the food. $135 pesos. Very casual outdoor atmosphere, informal. Service was fine, matching the informal atmosphere.

BIGGEST SURPRISE was the salad. Arugula, tomatoes, mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Huge and fresh and delicious. Not the greatest parmesan cheese I've ever tasted, but then I wouldn't expect to at the bargain price of about $40 peseos for a salad that would feed one for a meal, and easily 2-3 for a starter. A real treat that even no-so-salad-loving husband enjoyed.

The garlic oil flatbread was also a big hit.

We'll be back. . . and thanks to those who let us know about this place.

As reported by others and by friends, this place makes very good, real wood fired pizza. Thin crust. toppings were generous, especially the cheese. We have pizza loving relatives visiting from Chicago next month and would happily take them here for pizza.

Wine available by the glass ($35 pesos?) or by the bottle, which actually turned out to be a carafe of some kind of shiraz that went nicely with the food. $135 pesos. Very casual outdoor atmosphere, informal. Service was fine, matching the informal atmosphere.

BIGGEST SURPRISE was the salad. Arugula, tomatoes, mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Huge and fresh and delicious. Not the greatest parmesan cheese I've ever tasted, but then I wouldn't expect to at the bargain price of about $40 peseos for a salad that would feed one for a meal, and easily 2-3 for a starter. A real treat that even no-so-salad-loving husband enjoyed.

Try the Ensalada Toscana...it's incredible and will easily feed 2 or 3 (plus that terrific bread).

I might suggest you give Don Vito's a try. Their pizza is excellent with some nice topping choices. Very reasonable prices. Nice family run place in the village. You can search on this webboard to see many positive reviews.

Marcos Castellanos #21 A

Ajijic

Phone is 766 3604

PS We've been enjoying your reviews on the board lately. We're already fans of some of your choices and anxious to try some we've yet to experience. Good Eating!

I really enjoy Toscana's pizza, too. But for your Chicago pizza loving friends, you might give them a heads up that Toscana's style of pizza is VERY different from Chicago-style pizza. It's more like authentic Italian pizza from Italy than the Chicago thick crust or deep dish pizza.

What RV meant was that it's NOT Shiraz (more properly Syrah), it's Nero d'Avola, Italy's most popular grape. Good stuff!

Quite right - I should have read more carefully. And that definitely explains better why the wine went so well with the food!

Do not like their pizza at all!!!

Do not like their pizza at all!!!

Umm, if you know of another place, perhaps you'll tell us about it? Or at least tell us what you didn't like about Toscanna?

PS - as another poster commented, the ovens are gas rather than wood fired. However, the gas grills are a good substitute - better than a standard pizza oven, IMO.

We have found their food up and down. We used to always love it and then a couple months ago had a very bad experience. Their attitude about it wasn't any better than the food. Talking of pizza, have any of you gone past San Nicolas to Focaccia's? Their pizza is yummy.

There is American Pizza of several styles from many geographic locations, which bear no resemblance to Italian Pizza; which also varies from one area to another. Most Americans seem to be accustomed to those most like Dominoes', Pizza Hut or even boxed pizzas from the grocery store. Others like deep dish, Sicilian, Chicago or New York styles.

Alessandro's Pizzeria Toscana serves, great Toscan style pizza and magnificent salads with good wine. For my taste, none others compare; not even his father's pizza!

Jeanette - it's too bad that distance is an issue for you, because I think, from what I have read of your reviews, that you would really like Focaccia's - perhaps you could talk some folks with a vehicle into trying it out with you, and the house wine is quite good there too.

Woops - my bad. After reading your review of Viva Mexico in Cosala, you obviously do have transportation available, so give Focaccia a try next time you are the other side of Chapala

Could you be kind enough to explain where Focaccia is? We have friends in Tlachichilco (Chirimoyo) who have told us about a very casual Italian place nearby. . . In fact, when we drove to their home, we passed it, but I do not remember the name.

We are not familiar with the area, but quite happy to drive in daylight for a good meal.

Focaccia is about 5 minutes past the golf course and gated community of Vista del Lago. Once you pass the entrance to Vista del Lago start looking on your right side until you see it. It really is just a hole in the wall, almost looks like a shack. But the food is yummy.

Could you be kind enough to explain where Focaccia is? We have friends in Tlachichilco (Chirimoyo) who have told us about a very casual Italian place nearby. . . In fact, when we drove to their home, we passed it, but I do not remember the name.

We are not familiar with the area, but quite happy to drive in daylight for a good meal.

The place you passed is Foccacia - a delighful, very funky spot for a meal. The east end of San Juan Tecomatlan, on the lake side of the road. Parking on the mountain side of the road, well signed.

We like Don Vito's very much. It's on the same steet as the church just down from Zaragoza in Ajijic.

Their pizza is quite large and similar to what you might get in the States. Very good quality and very reasonable prices.

It's a nice little place with very friendly owners. They deliver, too.

The place you passed is Foccacia - a delighful, very funky spot for a meal. The east end of San Juan Tecomatlan, on the lake side of the road. Parking on the mountain side of the road, well signed.

How about starting a new post on this restaurant so we can learn more about it?

Archived