Chapala.com Webboard

Tango - Ajijic

jkgourmet

Prior visits have always been very much enjoyed by us in years passed. Although the beef doesn't match what we can get in the US, and we miss the expected baked potato, we always appreciated the service, quality, and atmosphere here. Admittedly, parking is drawback, and we've occasionally received overcooked steaks. Still, the wine list is terrific (I'd say this if it turned up anyplace in the world), and very well priced. I viewed many examples of only a 2X markup, a great deal.

The place always runs efficiently, waiters and waitresses pleasant and charming. Managers seem to keep a sharp eye on things, and it shows. Wine glasses refilled before they are empty. The roasted red pepper appetizer and the sweetbreads were surprising finds here, to us, and very very good.

This year, we've visited twice, once for a light dinner, venturing away from our usual beef choices. We ordered a small pizza and a Watercress salad with onions and bacon. Pizza was quite good, with good quality cheese and what I suspected was homemade tomato sauce. Light on the sauce, which is the way I like it. The salad was a huge surprise hit. A light vinegarette, crunchy bacon, some of those roasted red peppers (yeah!) and red onion. I admit, we don't the chance to get watercress often where we live, but this salad was a standout.

Next visit was for their $55 peso lunch, which we had heard a lot about, but never had the chance to enjoy. We'll be back, I'm sure. One filet sandwich, one arrechara sandwich, both with salads and french fries (finally, really good french fries!). Amazingly good, amazing price. Next time, I might just get the arrechara salad and pass on the carbs in the bread.

I only wish Tango had live music and dancing beyond the lovely art on the walls. With that addition, it might be perfect.

Prior visits have always been very much enjoyed by us in years passed. Although the beef doesn't match what we can get in the US, and we miss the expected baked potato, we always appreciated the service, quality, and atmosphere here. Admittedly, parking is drawback, and we've occasionally received overcooked steaks. Still, the wine list is terrific (I'd say this if it turned up anyplace in the world), and very well priced. I viewed many examples of only a 2X markup, a great deal.

The place always runs efficiently, waiters and waitresses pleasant and charming. Managers seem to keep a sharp eye on things, and it shows. Wine glasses refilled before they are empty. The roasted red pepper appetizer and the sweetbreads were surprising finds here, to us, and very very good.

This year, we've visited twice, once for a light dinner, venturing away from our usual beef choices. We ordered a small pizza and a Watercress salad with onions and bacon. Pizza was quite good, with good quality cheese and what I suspected was homemade tomato sauce. Light on the sauce, which is the way I like it. The salad was a huge surprise hit. A light vinegarette, crunchy bacon, some of those roasted red peppers (yeah!) and red onion. I admit, we don't the chance to get watercress often where we live, but this salad was a standout.

Next visit was for their $55 peso lunch, which we had heard a lot about, but never had the chance to enjoy. We'll be back, I'm sure. One filet sandwich, one arrechara sandwich, both with salads and french fries (finally, really good french fries!). Amazingly good, amazing price. Next time, I might just get the arrechara salad and pass on the carbs in the bread.

I only wish Tango had live music and dancing beyond the lovely art on the walls. With that addition, it might be perfect.

Well here is a vote for NO music and no dancing. This is one of the only places in town where you can have a good meal and a good conversation without musicians plunking away in the corner.

Well here is a vote for NO music and no dancing. This is one of the only places in town where you can have a good meal and a good conversation without musicians plunking away in the corner.

A good, and VERY valid point.

I can't imagine an Argentine restaurant with the word tango in their name and no bandolion music playing softly in background... Think I'll bring down some CD's and make them a gift.

Did you read the reply posted by "solajijic"? The acoustics at Tango is terrible. Great food, service, etc. but why would one want to introduce more NOISE????

I agree. My husband is hard of hearing and with music he is out of the conversation. I am sure there are lots of others like him.

When I ate at Tango two days ago, we sat in the far back and I noticed they had music playing very softly through some speakers. I laughed because I heard the song "Take on Me" by the mid-80's one-hit wonder, A-Ha.

If a tree falls in a forest, but half the people in the forest are hard of hearing....

P.S. FWIW: Tango still great, still blows Hacienda Ajijic out of the water,

Archived