Chapala.com Webboard

Best Molcajete

slumdog

After watching the comments about Hacienda Ajijic's Molcajete ("always great", "bland and sweet"), it occurs to me that taste is like color: is the red you see, the same color I see? Anyway, my favorite molcajete is also the first one I tried: at the Casa de Molcajetes on restaurant row at the east end of the malecon in Chapala. The "mixed" version, with beef, chicken, and shrimp. The sauce is great, it bubbles with cheese 'til you're finished, and then I get to scrape off heaps of baked cheese from the molcajete after.

We have tried the molcajetes at various places, and they're all different. At the pier in Ajijic, it's a sorry excuse for a menu item. Two of the other restaurants beside the Casa de Molcajetes are delicious, and quite different. I don't think they should taste like tomato sauce. I think the best is more like a pizza in a bowl.

After watching the comments about Hacienda Ajijic's Molcajete ("always great", "bland and sweet"), it occurs to me that taste is like color: is the red you see, the same color I see? Anyway, my favorite molcajete is also the first one I tried: at the Casa de Molcajetes on restaurant row at the east end of the malecon in Chapala. The "mixed" version, with beef, chicken, and shrimp. The sauce is great, it bubbles with cheese 'til you're finished, and then I get to scrape off heaps of baked cheese from the molcajete after.

We have tried the molcajetes at various places, and they're all different. At the pier in Ajijic, it's a sorry excuse for a menu item. Two of the other restaurants beside the Casa de Molcajetes are delicious, and quite different. I don't think they should taste like tomato sauce. I think the best is more like a pizza in a bowl.

Although we haven't had one for some time, we've found the molcajete at the Plaza Jardin restaurant in Ajijic to be excellent and enough for 3 people, rather than the two it is served for.

"it occurs to me that taste is like color: is the red you see, the same color I see?"

When you eat the red ones, do you suck them very slowly or crunch them very fast"

Nice concept though, Molcajete like pizza... without the crust, or sauce or pepperoni or.... come to think of it, nothing like pizza after all!

This place does have the best pizza, er Molca in town so far!

(Too busy drooling to respond) :P

The ones at Mariscos Guicho are yummy, too.

I agree with Tingting that Mariscos Guicho has a pretty good molcajete. The absolute BEST one we EVER had (and the one that hooked us forever on molcajetes) was one Jeff made many years ago in a place next to the Cozumel in Chapala. Can't even remember the name of it now, but WOW. Oh, and I would give a big thumbs DOWN to the one served by La Leña on the main drag in Chapala, altho some of their other steaks and menu items are delicious. Also they stay open really late.

Casa de Molcajetes is next door to Cozumel. Mariscos Guicho is north of there; the first restaurant in the row & right on the corner of Ramon Corona. They do make excellent molcajetes.

I agree with Tingting that Mariscos Guicho has a pretty good molcajete. The absolute BEST one we EVER had (and the one that hooked us forever on molcajetes) was one Jeff made many years ago in a place next to the Cozumel in Chapala. Can't even remember the name of it now, but WOW. Oh, and I would give a big thumbs DOWN to the one served by La Leña on the main drag in Chapala, altho some of their other steaks and menu items are delicious. Also they stay open really late.

Now I can't remember the name of Jeff's restaurant which years ago, was my fave in that strip.

I just had molcajete at Viva Mexico. It was very different than the great molcajete at Guichos and the Molcajete place on the same strip. It was delicious. Instead of the heavy base of cheese, it was a red liquid salsa and then had lots of cheese that was sittng on the top which I doused in the liquid salsa and allowed it to melt. I would definitely order it again. It is on his new menu which still hasn't been printed.

Actually, the 'molcajete' is the container; like a large mortar on legs. Restaurants use it to serve various very hot dishes straight from the oven and every cook's recipe may be quite different from that of another cook. Most contain cheese of some type, but may also have a variety of other ingredients, like seafood, chicken, beef, vegetables, and a variety of sauces as a base. They are usually served with tortillas, intended to be the vehicle for eating the contents of the molcajete.

Archived