Chapala.com Webboard

Delicias in Chapala

Mainecoons

If you want to pay way too much for a skimpy, badly prepared breakfast, I have just the place for you, Delicias in Chapala, a couple doors east of the True Value hardware on the north side of the street.

I had the usual American style breakfast that I order at Sunrise and which is always prepared to perfection. This time, the "eggs over easy" were so overcooked I could have used them to fix my sandals. The Bacon was like shoe leather too, two skimpy strips of it. The refried beans were tasteless, the orange juice was hot. My wife had an omlettte with soggy, inedible muffins buried in it.

It was "accompanied" by the Mexican equivalent of wonder bread dinner rolls.

The table we sat at was so dirty it was sticky. The fountain in the rear dining patio was throwing water everywhere and the area was swarming with mosquitos and bees.

This wonderful breakfast experience cost the equivalent of dinner in many local restaurants, 146 pesos plus tip for two.

Do not waste your time or money eating in this place. The breakfast at Sunrise is fixed properly, considerably more generous and costs a third less.

We ate there also and wasn't impressed except for our Mexican friend that worked there.

Drinks took a while to get, asked for ice in my water got none. (In Spanish)

I had the spinach omelet not too bad bacon hard inside.

Hubby had scrambled eggs with no taste and hash browns that were dry, Had to ask for tortillas and they were rubbery.

Not our cup of tea we will not return.

Guest Gringal

24 pesos, the server didn't cook this dismal meal or overprice it.

Went there a couple of months ago. Had a good fruit plate, but everything else was mediocre to worse and the service was sloooooow.

You're right that the Sunrise Cafe puts out a much better breakfast at a reasonable price.

Those evening dinners aren't bad, either. A real bargain.

Only negative is freezing your buns (yours, not theirs) in the winter when it turns into a wind tunnel. Wouldn't you love a whiff of that right now, though? :rolleyes:

Not good news. We've always had good breakfasts at Las Delicias but I've not been there at any other time of day. Agree the service is usually slow, but we were there last Sunday and ordered freshly prepared machaca, fresh tortillas, and one of their enfrijoladas, which I order regularly and can't get anywhere else. OJ was fresh, coffee was decent. Didn't see any bees and there were some flies in the garden, but that's not unusual this time of year. They do need to adjust the fountain flow...that simple fix would take care of the water that sometimes splatters out of the bottom bowl.

We've never had a bad breakfast there and have tried many different choices, and although the service is friendly enough, it is slow. I like Sunrise much better for the atmosphere, but since I'm not an egg-lover and I tire of Sunrise's humbug french toast and tough pancakes, I don't find much I want to eat, although I'd rather go there. Sounds like the kitchen at Las Delicias was having an especially awful day. Did you share your bad experience with anyone at the restaurant? Hopefully they'll straighten themselves out. I don't find enfrijoladas on other menus Lakeside so I'd be sad to avoid them.

I'm really sorry to read this because I've always had good meals at Delicias...their fruit plate is amazing.

I like Sunrise, but the waitstaff can be iffy and the portions seems to have shrunk (you can count the number of shreds in your hash browns), but they do serve good food at fair prices and the place is always immaculate.

Maybe you just went on an off day. I know it's hard to go back when you feel ripped off, but you might want to wait a bit and give them one more shot. I really hope it was just a bad day and not a trend. Too many restaurants here seem to do that. They start off well and then just stop caring.

Naw, there are just four people who won't go back and will tell a lot of people why. Heck, the meal gave me indigestion, not worth it to compound the discomfort by getting into a pissing contest with a restaurant whose door I will never darken again.

Adding innsult to injury, I got an intestinal bug from the place. Showed up this morning and I am certain that I ate nothing else yesterday that would have been the source. The dirty table may have been an indicator of other unsanitary conditions there, who knows?

Eat there at your own risk and if you like overpaying for bad food. That's my final comment.

A group of 10 of us ate at Delicias yesterday morning and no complaints from any of us. In fact, we eat there reasonably regularly with this same group and have always enjoyed it. Everyone I spoke to was quite happy with their breakfast and we pretty much agree that Delicias is one of our favorites.

That's the great thing about where we live - plenty of choices and enough places that will satisfy just about anyone.

If you want to pay way too much for a skimpy, badly prepared breakfast, I have just the place for you, Delicias in Chapala, a couple doors east of the True Value hardware on the north side of the street.

I had the usual American style breakfast that I order at Sunrise and which is always prepared to perfection. This time, the "eggs over easy" were so overcooked I could have used them to fix my sandals. The Bacon was like shoe leather too, two skimpy strips of it. The refried beans were tasteless, the orange juice was hot. My wife had an omlettte with soggy, inedible muffins buried in it.

It was "accompanied" by the Mexican equivalent of wonder bread dinner rolls.

The table we sat at was so dirty it was sticky. The fountain in the rear dining patio was throwing water everywhere and the area was swarming with mosquitos and bees.

This wonderful breakfast experience cost the equivalent of dinner in many local restaurants, 146 pesos plus tip for two.

Do not waste your time or money eating in this place. The breakfast at Sunrise is fixed properly, considerably more generous and costs a third less.

Go and have a good breakfast. The food is very good and the staff very friendly.

Guest Gringal

Consider the source and then go and have a good breakfast. The food is very good and the staff very friendly.

Tsk, tsk.

Last trip to Delicias: slow and not such good food, but friendly. The kicker was the intestinal issues resulting within the next few hours. Therefore, last trip. I like Sunrise Cafe much better, with nary a bellyache.

• 4 weeks later...

A group of 10 of us ate at Delicias yesterday morning and no complaints from any of us. In fact, we eat there reasonably regularly with this same group and have always enjoyed it. Everyone I spoke to was quite happy with their breakfast and we pretty much agree that Delicias is one of our favorites.

That's the great thing about where we live - plenty of choices and enough places that will satisfy just about anyone.

I thank you for your comment, my wife and I have had over 30 great meals there over the past 6 months....the crepes with chipoltle sauce are outstanding, their hash browns are near US, the biscuits and gravey are a big meal...not as spicey as I would like.....Over all...a great meal The Mango smoothie is huge...approx. 16 ounces.

We love Delicias as well. We have been there about 5 or 6 times and always with different people who all enjoyed their meals. Their clubhouse with fries was gigantic, and anything else I've had has been a long way from skimpy. I think Mainecoons just hit a real bad one, but I don't think that's their "norm". They have quite a varied menu with chicken filled crepes , etc. and I hope people will try it for themselves and enjoy it as much as we have.

I love Delicias. The best breakfast place around. After I found this place I would never go back to Sunrise. Such a varied menu with so many interesting dished. Their Clubhouse is huge. I wouldn't say their service is slow.

Had to edit this thread to remove personal comments. OP and others who found this restaurant lacking are entitled to their opinion as are those who disagree. Any more personal comments here will be rewarded with suspensions.

One of my fav. breakfast restaurants, that and Cinco Potrillios in Ixlawhatever. The crepes en nogada are a treat as are the tres crepes dish with fruit. The service can be slow now because it is getting so busy, especially on the weekends. My recommendation for those who have never been there is to go and try it for yourself. I know you will like it. :)

We love Delicias as well. We have been there about 5 or 6 times and always with different people who all enjoyed their meals. Their clubhouse with fries was gigantic, and anything else I've had has been a long way from skimpy. I think Mainecoons just hit a real bad one, but I don't think that's their "norm". They have quite a varied menu with chicken filled crepes , etc. and I hope people will try it for themselves and enjoy it as much as we have.

What is a clubhouse?

What is a clubhouse?

I think it's a club sandwich that is as big as a house! No pun intended here. We ordered two clubhouse sandwiches once in Melaque and found that the two of us could have shared one. Each sandwuich was about 6 inches high on homemade bread.

It's actually an ancient Mayan delicacy from the indigenous cuisine of the Chankanab region of the Yucatan - I would love to share the recipe, but then I would have to kill you. See, anything can sound kinda plausible on the the internet!

It's actually an ancient Mayan delicacy from the indigenous cuisine of the Chankanab region of the Yucatan - I would love to share the recipe, but then I would have to kill you. See, anything can sound kinda plausible on the the internet!

Yes, and when they escaped the yolk of their oppressors, they were all hired as cooks by AmTrak, and left to their own devices (low minimum wage for immigrants), they came up with the club-foot sandwich, the name of which was later changed... .

Yes, and when they escaped the yolk of their oppressors, they were all hired as cooks by AmTrak, and left to their own devices (low minimum wage for immigrants), they came up with the club-foot sandwich, the name of which was later changed... .

Must have been really messy to escape from a yolk! Most oppressors prefer a yoke (much cleaner) :rolleyes:

Archived