Chapala.com Webboard

Re: Restaurant Terraza Quitupan

reyez98

Hello everyone.I would like to thank every person who has been

in the new restaurant Terraza Quitupan, and to all of those who has written

good references on this website. I wish the best for my brother Adolfo and his wife Alejandra, I wish them the best.

I know that my brother Adolfo is a good hard worker and that he always wanted to own his own business, know "mission accomplished". He definitely needs your support.

Thank You,

Yajaira.

good references on this website. I wish the best for my brother Adolfo and his wife Alejandra, I wish them the best.

I know that my brother Adolfo is a good hard worker and that he always wanted to own his own business, know "mission accomplished". He definitely needs your support.

Thank You,

Yajaira.

I went with a friend to have lunch there last Monday. What a lovely place and lovely people. When we walked in Adolfo was cooking ribs, so we had those. Very good. We were the only ones there and stayed for hours, laughing and drinking that fruit drink (we asked to have tequila added) and were very happy campers when we finally left.

Thank You,

Yajaira.

I think the moderator needs to move this topic to La Cocina or Restaurants.

I think the moderator needs to move this topic to La Cocina or Restaurants.

is this place on the main road around the entrance to Rancho del Oro? Just down a bit from Tabarka? (it sounds wonderful, but we are not very familiar with the area - YET!)

Hi, Yajaira

We are big fans of your brother's restaurant. It is one of the best new restaurants in the area. He and Alejandra are wonderful hosts and chefs.

We are frequent visitors. We went again today for lunch and had the mixed grill. It was delicious, as usual. We told Adolfo of your comments on this webboard. He was very pleased and grateful. We'll print it out and take it to him so he can read all the nice things people say about their restaurant.

We hope they stay around. We look forward to bringing friends and enjoying many more excellent meals. :D

Hi, Yajaira

We are big fans of your brother's restaurant. It is one of the best new restaurants in the area. He and Alejandra are wonderful hosts and chefs.

We are frequent visitors. We went again today for lunch and had the mixed grill. It was delicious, as usual. We told Adolfo of your comments on this webboard. He was very pleased and grateful. We'll print it out and take it to him so he can read all the nice things people say about their restaurant.

We hope they stay around. We look forward to bringing friends and enjoying many more excellent meals. :D

Hello Lardca,

I did mentioned to him that I became a member of this site.And told him about all the nice people that have written nice things about the restaurant.Him and his wife were very happy about it. And I do thank you for letting him know about the nice things I wrote. And I do appreciate your support.

Thank You,

Yajaira.

I had been one of the earliest posters regarding this restaurant and how much I enjoyed the food, the ambiance and the friendly owners. I returned tonight after being away almost since I first posted. I brought with me someone who had not been there before.

The food was once again good, but I wondered what happened to the warm friendly environment.

We were the only ones at the restaurant when we arrived at 6:30 P.M. and remnained so until we were ready to leave. The owner did not even look up when we came in. He was busy watering the lawn. When he was finished with that activity he kind of wandered around by the pit and gave off the impression he was bored with everything. His wife smiled and kept walking after a brief buenos tardes.

There were a number of children there screaming the entire time we were eating. I guess they were friends of the owner's children and had come by to use the pool. Someone came and collected them just as we were finishing our meal. It was too late for a peaceful meal and quiet conversation.

There is now a waiter who provided fine service so he cannot be faulted.

I enjoyed the food but this restaurant in my eyes and experience has just taken a huge dive in my list of resturants to frequent.

I enjoyed the food but this restaurant in my eyes and experience has just taken a huge dive in my list of resturants to frequent.

My wife and I and two of our friends went friday night. The owner and everyone else was very friendly and the service was great. The food was ok. Unfortunately I think they picked a bad location. There is room at most for 3 cars to park in front. Besides our table there was one other table with 6 people and that was it for the entire time we were there. I think anyone driving by would think twice about trying to drop in. I know someone said you could park next door in the lot and walk over but without any signs the first inclination would be to keep driving. Then, it hasn't started raining yet. What will happen when people would have to walk in mud?

I wish them the best because they seem like very nice people but from the amount of people that I saw on a friday night it doesn't look good.

There were 14 for lunch today, so it is looking better. Service was excellent and the lamb was especially good.

They are open every day, easy parking in the lateral street (turn from the highway into the street next to Doña Lola, then into the lateral on your immediate right.)

We just had our first dining experience at Terraza Quitupan, a wonderful restaurant located between Ajijic and La Canacinta--towards the west end of Ajijic. The food was great; the prices were reasonable; the service was fantastic, and the total experience was wonderful. In re parking: PLEASE NOTE THAT AS YOU TRAVEL EAST, TOWARDS AJIJIC, THERE IS PARKING FOR TERRAZA QUITUPAN. Just pass the entrance to the restaurant, and continue on about 250 feet, and turn to your right--same side of the street as the restaurant. You will find ample parking on the frontage road. Much more parking than many restaurants offer. PARKING IS NOT A PROBLEM IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO TURN. If you are coming from Ajijic, just turn about 250 feet short of the restaurant-- Hopefully there will be a sign there, soon, but in the meantime, please spread the word. THERE IS AMPLE PARKING, ON THE SIDE OF THE STREET WHERE THE RESTAURANT IS LOCATED. If you like meat fried over an open pit--or if you like fish--this place is for you! And ask them about the biggest and best drink in Ajijic--Consuela. She'll be enough comfort for you--for the entire evening.

Jean and Jim Schmith-- Hi Marty....

We just had our first dining experience at Terraza Quitupan, a wonderful restaurant located between Ajijic and La Canacinta--towards the west end of Ajijic. The food was great; the prices were reasonable; the service was fantastic, and the total experience was wonderful. In re parking: PLEASE NOTE THAT AS YOU TRAVEL EAST, TOWARDS AJIJIC, THERE IS PARKING FOR TERRAZA QUITUPAN. Just pass the entrance to the restaurant, and continue on about 250 feet, and turn to your right--same side of the street as the restaurant. You will find ample parking on the frontage road. Much more parking than many restaurants offer. PARKING IS NOT A PROBLEM IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO TURN. If you are coming from Ajijic, just turn about 250 feet short of the restaurant-- Hopefully there will be a sign there, soon, but in the meantime, please spread the word. THERE IS AMPLE PARKING, ON THE SIDE OF THE STREET WHERE THE RESTAURANT IS LOCATED. If you like meat fried over an open pit--or if you like fish--this place is for you! And ask them about the biggest and best drink in Ajijic--Consuela. She'll be enough comfort for you--for the entire evening.

Jean and Jim Schmith-- Hi Marty....

I'm glad you enjoyed this place and you are more happy customer. It has great food. But your post re parking, directions, etc., sounds as if you haven't read a word anyone else has already said. Parking, sad to say, is a problem, and as someone pointed out, during the rainy season it could be more so, if one has to slog through a muddy path to get to the restaurant.

Pittipat

No slogging necessary. The path from the lateral street is gravel, very porous volcanic gravel which should drain well.

By the way, bring a towel and bathing suit; the pool is open inside the restaurant.

No slogging necessary. The path from the lateral street is gravel, very porous volcanic gravel which should drain well.

By the way, bring a towel and bathing suit; the pool is open inside the restaurant.

I am glad to hear about the gravel walkway. I hadn't noticed it.

I'll enjoy watching others at poolside, but my public appearances in a bathing suit are long over. Sob.

Pittipat

Five of us went last night. Did they have an "off" evening? I won't be going back.

Walking in, we were offered a sampling of the lamb, etc., he does in the "pit", and I thought "This is going to be great." But it wasn't: the waiter could not remember the simplest of drink orders, mixing up everyone's order every single time. The "mixed grill" for two had no more meat than the baby pig for one person. There were bones in everything, absolutely all the meat except the chorizo, which was underdone and grocery-store flavor. It took quite a while to get our orders out, so they kept bringing us more and more chips and salsa.

One of us ordered the sea bass; 20 minutes into our wait, the waiter came over and said they had none, but they would substitute the snapper (sold by the kilo). He wouldn't tell us what the price difference would be, so we said no. The owner came over with a fully cooked zarandeado of snapper, at 160 pesos/kilo, and said "Doesn't this look good?". We said yeah, but not what we wanted, and not at the huge price difference, so he agreed, reluctantly, to honor the sea bass price of 90 pesos.

The arrechera for another companion was ordered medium-well, and it came out RAW. And lacking the fries asked for, with beans instead. It was taken away, and unfortunately no one told us they had to heat the oil to make the fries... 20 minutes later, while the rest of us were finishing up, the steak came back... RAW. We sent it back; it came back but by that time, she wasn't hungry anymore, having polished off the greasy, underdone fries.

More later.

PART TWO:

Our Mixed Grille was cooked properly, but I noted no special rubs or marinades to move the flavor up from average. As mentioned, there were more bones than there was meat; ridiculous portion for $190 pesos. The zarandeado, usually cooked in garlic, annato seed, soy and ancho or a similar chili powder, and some mayo for moisturizing and sweetness, seemed to have been basted only in mayonnaise. The fish itself was cooked perfectly, but just tasted weird because of the mayo. A nice looking small salad accompanied the fish, but the dressing only appeared, magically, towards the end of the meal. It was an oil and vinager, but the oil had gone skunky, rendering the salad inedible.

The owner never came out (after displaying the fish) to see what all the problems were about. His waiter did come back and offer everyone margaritas by way of apology, and complimentary flan for dessert, but by then we were all pretty much dismayed and ready to leave. When the bill came, the arrachera had been marked as FREE, but all the margaritas had been charged to us. (!)

Mrs. Owner was very apologetic; Mr. Owner blamed it on the waiter.

All in all: reasonable prices, average food, terrible, terrible service. Nothing like what other people have posted here, and a huge disappointment. I won't be giving them a second chance, because they would have to change everything except the pricing, and I just can't see them doing that.

slumdog - Thank you for your honest review. Now, I know I will never take our Dinner Group there. The Owner blames the waiter when the owner is at fault for not properly training his staff. And they think we're dumb enough to believe it. I never see anyone there when I drive by, a terrible location, IMO. I still always wish a new restaurant success.

Our group of four also found the restaurant to be average at best.

And we went on a slow night when we should have been the centre of attention.

We all agreed that they are not any competition to Tango, Hacienda Ajijic or anyone else.

Just my 2 centavos, for what it's worth.

PART TWO:

Our Mixed Grille was cooked properly, but I noted no special rubs or marinades to move the flavor up from average. As mentioned, there were more bones than there was meat; ridiculous portion for $190 pesos. The zarandeado, usually cooked in garlic, annato seed, soy and ancho or a similar chili powder, and some mayo for moisturizing and sweetness, seemed to have been basted only in mayonnaise. The fish itself was cooked perfectly, but just tasted weird because of the mayo. A nice looking small salad accompanied the fish, but the dressing only appeared, magically, towards the end of the meal. It was an oil and vinager, but the oil had gone skunky, rendering the salad inedible.

The owner never came out (after displaying the fish) to see what all the problems were about. His waiter did come back and offer everyone margaritas by way of apology, and complimentary flan for dessert, but by then we were all pretty much dismayed and ready to leave. When the bill came, the arrachera had been marked as FREE, but all the margaritas had been charged to us. (!)

Mrs. Owner was very apologetic; Mr. Owner blamed it on the waiter.

All in all: reasonable prices, average food, terrible, terrible service. Nothing like what other people have posted here, and a huge disappointment. I won't be giving them a second chance, because they would have to change everything except the pricing, and I just can't see them doing that.

Dear Mr. Slumdog,

Everybody has they're own opinion and they're own way of thinking. Some people like the food some people don't and I think everybody makes mistakes and they learn from them. Nobody is perfect!! I'm sure all the best and fancy looking restaurants in Ajijic make mistakes too.

Terraza Quitupan has REAL MEXICAN AUTHENTIC FOOD thats for sure.

Did you count the number of faux pas and problems in my post? You think that all five of us just mention this as an "opinion"? Sure, strictly speaking, all these comments are "opinions", but please, look at the facts I reported. This wasn't just a couple of "mistakes". I was more than fair; look at my final paragraph.

Did you count the number of faux pas and problems in my post? You think that all five of us just mention this as an "opinion"? Sure, strictly speaking, all these comments are "opinions", but please, look at the facts I reported. This wasn't just a couple of "mistakes". I was more than fair; look at my final paragraph.

SLUMDOG-Yes I do see that there were SEVERAL mistakes like you say.

Like I say, everybody likes to be served differently. When one person finds a but

everybody else finds more buts. I'ts all mental.

Westchester you should reread the posts on this thread. Slumdog was not the only one with some of the same problems. I posted favorably on the 1st thread and then when I returned to the restaurant 4 weeks later I posted on this thread unfavorably. I will not be returning.

Archived