Chapala.com Webboard

Article on violence against Mexican politicians

xz2y

Is it fair to assume that things will go back to "normal" where the narcos pay off the PRI and the quid pro quo is live and let live?

Frankly, I think the Mexicans should make a deal with these people called, "you leave us alone and sell your crap to the Americans and we'll leave you alone."

Mexico can't win this on their own and clearly the problem is U.S. drug users who finance the whole deal and the incredibly stupid "war on drugs" that is a far greater failure than prohibition for the same reason.

Aren't we saying the same thing-"normal" is precisely as you describe it. I favor de-criminalization but don't expect to see it happen.

Thanks guys, for your very good posts. And for Borderland Beat, I will follow it daily, what a resource! I've been following all this too, they did predict a bloodbath this weekend, they delivered.

I'm interested in speculation on the future of Mexico, say 5 years, and wonder what you think. How do you see the country in 5 years or so.

If Calderón lives out his term, clearly the next Presidente will be PRI and will have been placed in the position by the cartels. What if Calderón is assassinated? Who inherits the position? What happens then?

What else might you see in the future? Thanks for a great discussion!

The question "When will enough be enough for the Mexican people?" is one I've been asking them for years. How long will you stand for hours in line at a bank to give THEM your money? Why do you allow monopolies to so blatantly exist. Always met with a shrug and quien sabe. I've come to the conclusion they will never stand up for themselves. BUT, they will survive, laugh, and love in spite of it all.

Mexican Trailrunner

Some of you may know the answer to this --but I didn't - last night had dinner with good friends who are business people in Guad and an official from one of the Consulates -so think I got the straight scoop

I asked the question- What would happen if Calderon died reply "Mexico does not have a Vice President- they eliminated the position due to the threat of both the President and VP being killed at the same time ,as happened with the Polish Gov 2 weeks ago. If the President were to die- the Congress would elect an interim President and a special election would be held to validate that appointment within a certain time period..

Then 2 people whispered - WE should not even be talking about this here in the restaurant!!! I asked What and Why??"

We're getting emails from associates here and in other cities- Warning us to be very careful about speaking in restaurants, meetings etc anywhere in public about anything related to the subject of Cartels, Calderon, kidnappings etc." I asked WHY?? "You never know who could be sitting next to you" .One stated that business people are very concerned since the kidnapping of Cevallos- who they said was very popular and is apparently being held hostage and not murdered as his face appeared on the front page of the newspaper Friday or Saturday with tape over his mouth.

I asked my friend of 15 yrs. " You're getting warnings HERE IN GUAD- " answer "YES- there are people and business here now that we never really worried about before. "Guadalajara has for many years always been considered a conservative and SAFE CITY away from Mexico City etc, for narcos to put their families in nice neighborhoods and good schools for kids etc."

A woman who has a weekend home in Rancho del Oro, asked me what the Expats were thinking about the Raid of 3 Drug Lord Homes last week in LA FLORESTA- ?? I haven't heard anybody mention it on this Board or read the Reporter because of the virus issue, so didn't know? Any responses?? Her husband says that he has heard that Chapala is increasingly becoming more infiltrated by Narcos as evidenced by the recent murders of the 2 police and the meth lab in Ixual.

We may not be feeling the threat- but Tapitios are really taking it seriously.

Privado, thanks... I think... eye opening but basically what i hear from Mexican friends.

Do not forget Calderon is from Michoacan where there are deep seated roots and corruption with the narcos.

I have no doubt this country is controlled by the criminal elements and not the government.

With the loss of control of even Monterrey which is an extremely well-off city and an educational and manufacturing center the decline of Mexico from these perspectives is progressing. When even Calderon compares it to Colombia many years ago investors from the basic home owner to manufacturing are sure to take a huge second look.

For a long time expats have been in denial even though Mexico is literally at war with the government overwhelmed, out-smarted, militarily lesser. Imagine 70 gangsters locking up a major highway NOB for up to 2 hours taking cell phones, money, valuables, cars etc and getting away with it? the police obviously knew and ran and hid and not sure I blame them. Or the situation in Monterrey where hotels are blocked off and a shoot out takes place with machine guns. We are living in a country at war and even the president has to have a bulls-eye on him.

We may not be feeling the threat- but Tapitios are really taking it seriously.

I am a recent newbie to informador - and must say I have gone into shock in the last few weeks. Violence abounds in Jalisco. Most gringos have not heard of San Cristóbal de la Barranca - and most have heard of Mazamitla, Tonala and Zapopan. All these areas had have recent narc violence and are a short distance from Guad or Chapala. Is this called Narc creep? Seems like Jalisco is slowing joining the drug violence. Or again - guess it could be my awareness has just gone up 1000%

We're getting emails from associates here and in other cities- Warning us to be very careful about speaking in restaurants, meetings etc anywhere in public about anything related to the subject of Cartels, Calderon, kidnappings etc." I asked WHY?? "You never know who could be sitting next to you" .One stated that business people are very concerned since the kidnapping of Cevallos- who they said was very popular and is apparently being held hostage and not murdered as his face appeared on the front page of the newspaper Friday or Saturday with tape over his mouth.

I asked my friend of 15 yrs. " You're getting warnings HERE IN GUAD- " answer "YES- there are people and business here now that we never really worried about before. "Guadalajara has for many years always been considered a conservative and SAFE CITY away from Mexico City etc, for narcos to put their families in nice neighborhoods and good schools for kids etc."

I would think that if you were asking "the same" questions about Harper in Canada and Obama in USA there could be visit's from the respective secret service...given that Guad is the number 2 city in MX they trail the (bad) happenings in Mexico City...regarding "good schools" in Guad, the private high and university schools patten the schools NOB , drugs are rampant

Toby you mention drugs are rampant NOB and that may be but the following that was posted on another thread as per below by Carcamel does not happen NOB and the countries not controlled by narcos controlling every fabric of society.

"It is hardly as though this were the first such occurrence in that part of Mexico. Some recent links to Mexican news sites, with a brief summary in English:

http://www.noroeste....s.php?id=565510

Mar. 15, 2010 Between 8:30 and 9:00 pm more than 20 heavily armed subjects set up traffic cones near Escuinapa on lanes in both directions on the Tepic-Mazatlán autopista and stole belongings and at least nine vehicles. Local residents told victims this was at least the third time this had happened.

http://www.jornada.u...eten-en-sinaloa

Apr. 1, 2010 Armed subjects set up a checkpoint on the Mazatlán-Tepic autopista at the plant inspection booth on the border between Sinaloa and Nayarit and stole 13 vehicles.

http://lajornadazaca...ticia&Itemid=62

May 8, 2010 State officials admit that about 20 subjects wearing false uniforms set up a false checkpoint on Federal Highway 45 on the border between the states of Augascalientes and Zacatecas and committed abductions and assaults.

http://www.milenio.com/node/430656

Apr. 26, 2010 Several reports that a group of about 40 hooded and camouflaged subjects set up a checkpoint and robbed several families of their belongings and vehicles on the Dugango-Mazatlán "superhighway" near the city of Durango."

I was certainly shocked by what my friends had to say- one never conceives of being in the middle of Cartel territory- nor that friends would start to be worried about kidnapping.

I am very close to the Mexican community and live in a totally upper Class Mexican neighborhood- yesterday a neighbor I had not talked to for several months stopped over- She's very attractive, what Mexicans call Blondie white- from Los Altos area- well dressed and well jeweled- I surreptiously pointed to her watch for my friend to notice-Huge Diamonds- Encrusted Rolex- After she left - my Mexican friend asked- Is her husband a Narco?? " Are you kidding" answer 'NO '

The Raid in La Floresta on 3 Drug Cartel bosses- no one has mentioned anything- any local news about what happend??

I was certainly shocked by what my friends had to say- one never conceives of being in the middle of Cartel territory- nor that friends would start to be worried about kidnapping.

I am very close to the Mexican community and live in a totally upper Class Mexican neighborhood- yesterday a neighbor I had not talked to for several months stopped over- She's very attractive, what Mexicans call Blondie white- from Los Altos area- well dressed and well jeweled- I surreptiously pointed to her watch for my friend to notice-Huge Diamonds- Encrusted Rolex- After she left - my Mexican friend asked- Is her husband a Narco?? " Are you kidding" answer 'NO '

The Raid in La Floresta on 3 Drug Cartel bosses- no one has mentioned anything- any local news about what happend??

So far you have provided the first news we've heard about this.

In 2004 the senior ortho resident on my dual hip replacement had done his medical in Guad. and 2 years later after we had moved here he contacted me when he returned to Guad and opened a practice and then two years ago he moved to Monterrey to take advantage of an opportunity in a large medical tourism practice and hospital and his family was from there. In emailing him regarding a medical issue I am having he responded that he and his brother, a radiologist, are moving to the US east coast to practice. Their wives and children left in late April back to Cleveland because they have friends there and it is familiar for the kids and schools until the husbands could join them. His sister and her family left at that time for St. Louis taking the elderly family members who had visas. His extended family who do not have US citizenship or Visas are leaving for Europe and South America. He said they don't expect to return.

From Borderland Beat

Yesterday narco-banners were placed around Mexico with threats against the President of Mexico and the Secretary of the Interior that also made reference to the abduction of Fernandez de Cevallos.

So my comments are: Any doubters left as to the state of war in Mexico and where it is headed? Even two years ago this was never so big an issue, so wide spread and so affecting everyday Mexicans.

From Borderland Beat

Yesterday narco-banners were placed around Mexico with threats against the President of Mexico and the Secretary of the Interior that also made reference to the abduction of Fernandez de Cevallos.

So my comments are: Any doubters left as to the state of war in Mexico and where it is headed? Even two years ago this was never so big an issue, so wide spread and so affecting everyday Mexicans.

I could not find this on Borderland- and checked the list of Secretarias in Mexico but did not see Interior-

Could it be Secretaria of Natural Resources ( SEMARNAT) - whose offices are now Headquartered in Zapopan - as part of Calderons plan to disperse official departments to other major cities in Mexico?

or could you post the name of the Secretary

thanks

I could not find this on Borderland- and checked the list of Secretarias in Mexico but did not see Interior-

Could it be Secretaria of Natural Resources ( SEMARNAT) - whose offices are now Headquartered in Zapopan - as part of Calderons plan to disperse official departments to other major cities in Mexico?

thanks

Here is the article. previous posts are available on their web site.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2010/05/version-kidnap-jefe-diego-to-negotiate.html#more

thanks

The Mexican cabinet post that is often poorly translated into English as Secretary of the Interior is known in Spanish as "Gobernación" and is equivalent to the British Home Secretary, nothing at all in common with the U. S. Department of the Interior.

The present Secretario de Gobernación is Fernando Francisco Gómez Mont Urueta.

The Mexican cabinet post that is often poorly translated into English as Secretary of the Interior is known in Spanish as "Gobernación" and is equivalent to the British Home Secretary, nothing at all in common with the U. S. Department of the Interior.

The present Secretario de Gobernación is Fernando Francisco Gómez Mont Urueta.

Muchas Gracias- I was equating Sec. of INTERIOR as having responsibilities in areas of Land, Water, Natural Resources etc

Piedras Negras, Coahuila Under Lockdown

| Borderland Reporter Gerardo

"POR ESTE MEDIO QUIERE FELICITAR EL EJERCITO POR DEFENDERNOS SIGAN ASI YA QUE ESTO ES UN PUEBLO SIN LEY."

"Muchas felicidades al ejercito son ustedes muy valientes sigan asi por favor los necesitamos mucho son los unicos que no se han vendido por unos dlls"

"QUE COMIENZE LA GUERRA DE LOS SOLDADOS CONTRA ESTOS PERROS"

"Un aplauso a los valientes del Ejercito Mexicano, han puesto mas en peligro su vida"

These were a sample of many posts on a message board utilized by Piedras Negras citizens as applause and appreciation was showered on the military by the population of this border city after a series of gunfights late Wednesday morning between the Mexican army and drug cartel gunmen in at least 2 locations

Piedras Negras, a city of 200,000 people is located across the Rio Grande from Eagle Pass, Texas. There has been a long simmering discord among the citizens over the ineptness and perceived co-optation of the local municipal police forces and the administration of this city by drug cartels. This state of affairs has allowed the criminals to act with relative impunity.

This drug trafficking corridor, or “plaza” has recently been in flux as members of the Zeta and Golfo/Sinaloa cartels have fought for ownership of this territory. The disappearances of up to 40people connected to organized crime, several shootouts between competing criminal gangs, and the increasing lawlessness associated with extortions and robberies of businesses and citizens has resulted in a high level of insecurity.

On Wednesday, around 10:30 AM, there was a confrontation between gunmen in a white Suburban suv and elements of the military in the “Laguito Mexicano” area of the city. The confrontation continued outside the “Las Barrocas” restaurant a short distance away.

Witnesses who were caught in the crossfire at both locations spoke of the military’s restraint in the confrontations so as to minimize the risk to civilians on the streets. One witness stated that the military only returned fire at the first location after taking casualties from the reckless fusillade of the gunmen.

The citizens also voiced their disdain for the local police who endangered innocent lives by failing to take any measures in blocking traffic into the areas under fire. A chaotic situation arose in the city until the military effectively took control.

Military roadblocks were in effect throughout Piedras Negras throughout the day and evening and all traffic leaving the city was blocked until the early evening.

The casualties as of early Wednesday evening were 1 soldier dead and 1 soldier gravely injured and in intensive care in the local IMSS hospital. 3 gunmen were injured in the altercation, 1 of them in serious condition. 8 other gunmen were captured and were being held in the military garrison.

After the shootings the 2 international bridges on the border with Eagle Pass, Tx were put on full alert on both the Mexican and U.S. sides to prevent the escape of any gunmen into Eagle Pass. In Eagle Pass, the traffic on the bridges was briefly halted as well armed I.C.E., Border Patrol and Sheriff’s Deputies provided security.

In a related event that may signify a new aggressive policy of confronting drug trafficking gangs in the area by the military, the command of the Mexican army detachment in Piedras Negras was transferred to brigadier general Alejandro Pinacho Lopez on Monday of this week.

General Lopez previously served as an advisor and military attaché in the Republic of Nicaragua.

Archived