Chapala.com Webboard

Have you ever been stopped by a traffic cop here?

maw7815

I received this e-mail that had been forwarded to our fracciomento and was asked to forward to as many people as possible. This forum can get the word out!

maw

I am Dr. Paul East Raza.

The mayor of Chapala, Presidente Jesus Cabrera, has appointed a group of us to assist members of the foreign community in their interactions with City Hall. As many of you know, the traffic police are not part of the local police force and do not report to the Mayor’s office. The Mayor consequently has no control over any illegal activity perpetrated by local traffic police.

We are planning to approach the Comandante of the traffic police to seek his help in reducing the frequency of inappropriate traffic police behavior, particularly the seeking of bribes. We also intend to hold a public meeting with local officials and the foreign community.

Prior to meeting with the Comandante we would like anonymous input from as many of you as possible.

Please answer the following questionnaire by hitting reply which will allow you to answer the questions and then return to the attention of Ann Heath at this email: <http://us.mc586.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=chapala4u2010@yahoo.com>; chapala4u2010@yahoo.com

Alternatively, you may print it out (the file is attached as well as visible in this email), answer it and leave it for me with the secretary to Dr. Alberto Don, the dentist, at Maskaras Clinic.

If you have any questions about this please contact me at 765-2671; or Hank Shiver at 765-3295. You can reply within the email, typing in your answer.

Alternatively, you may print the questionnaire (the questionnaire is visible in this email), answer it and leave it with the secretary to Dr. Alberto Don, the dentist, at Maskaras Clinic.

We apologize in advance if you receive more than one copy of the questionnaire that follows:

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:_____

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:____

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? Type yes or no:_____

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? Type yes or no:_____

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:_____

6. At this time did you feel that you had committed an infraction of local traffic laws?

Type yes or no:____

7. Please describe any special circumstances about this event: We are interested in where the event took place, when the event took place, if you had witnesses, if you would recognize the official and if you were able to obtain the name of the official etc:

If there was more than one event, please fill in the same questionnaire a second time, otherwise leave it blank.

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:_____

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:_____

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:_____

6. At this time did you feel that you had committed an infraction of local traffic laws?

Type yes or no:_______

7. Please describe any special circumstances about this event: We are interested in where the event took place, when the event took place, if you had witnesses, if you would recognize the official and if you were able to obtain the name of the official etc:

I received this e-mail that had been forwarded to our fracciomento and was asked to forward to as many people as possible. This forum can get the word out!

maw

I am Dr. Paul East Raza.

The mayor of Chapala, Presidente Jesus Cabrera, has appointed a group of us to assist members of the foreign community in their interactions with City Hall. As many of you know, the traffic police are not part of the local police force and do not report to the Mayor’s office. The Mayor consequently has no control over any illegal activity perpetrated by local traffic police.

We are planning to approach the Comandante of the traffic police to seek his help in reducing the frequency of inappropriate traffic police behavior, particularly the seeking of bribes. We also intend to hold a public meeting with local officials and the foreign community.

Prior to meeting with the Comandante we would like anonymous input from as many of you as possible.

Please answer the following questionnaire by hitting reply which will allow you to answer the questions and then return to the attention of Ann Heath at this email: <http://us.mc586.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=chapala4u2010@yahoo.com>; chapala4u2010@yahoo.com

Alternatively, you may print it out (the file is attached as well as visible in this email), answer it and leave it for me with the secretary to Dr. Alberto Don, the dentist, at Maskaras Clinic.

If you have any questions about this please contact me at 765-2671; or Hank Shiver at 765-3295. You can reply within the email, typing in your answer.

Alternatively, you may print the questionnaire (the questionnaire is visible in this email), answer it and leave it with the secretary to Dr. Alberto Don, the dentist, at Maskaras Clinic.

We apologize in advance if you receive more than one copy of the questionnaire that follows:

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:___Yes__

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:__YES__

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? Type yes or no:__nO___

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? Type yes or no:_nO____

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:__nO___

Type yes or no:__nO__

We were heading west on the careterra and stopped for a red light at the Libriamente. There were two other cars in front of us and more behind that were all stopped. After the light turned green, a motorcycle cop pulled us over and accused us of running the light. After a discussion on this, he finally stated he needed comida. I told him there was no way I was going to give him money but I would buy him a sandwich at Salvador's as that is where we were heading. He got on his bike and rode off.

If there was more than one event, please fill in the same questionnaire a second time, otherwise leave it blank.

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:_____

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:__yes___

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:_yes___

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? Type yes or no:__no___

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? Type yes or no:__yes___

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:_no____

Type yes or no:_n0__

Walmart and Libramento

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:__yes___

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:_yes____

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? Type yes or no:_no____

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? Type yes or no:__yes___

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:__no___

Type yes or no:_n0______

Again, Walmart and Libramento

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:yes____

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:no____

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? Type yes or no:_no____

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? Type yes or no:_no____

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:_yes__

Type yes or no:_yes___

2 times in La floresta. Fail to go around the circle on the right to turn to the left.

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? YES

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? NO

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? NO

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? NO

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? YES

6. At this time did you feel that you had committed an infraction of local traffic laws? YES (DIDN'T KNOW IT AT THE TIME)

7. Please describe any special circumstances about this event: We are interested in where the event took place, when the event took place, if you had witnesses, if you would recognize the official and if you were able to obtain the name of the official etc: JULY 2009 APPROXIMATELY. LATERAL BETWEEN WALMART AND EL TORITO AJIJIC. HAD A WITNESS. HAD THE NAME OF THE OFFICIAL AND WOULD RECOGNIZE HIM. WAS TREATED HONESTLY AND FAIRLY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maw

I am Dr. Paul East Raza.

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? YES

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? NO

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? NO

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? NO

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? NO

YES

In Ajijic, I went the wrong way on a one way street about 10AM. The officer was polite, I appologized for my poor Spanish, he appologized for his poor English. I said I was sorry, he said be more careful. We shook hands and he said "you are a nice person" We parted friends.

• 1 month later...

maw

I am Dr. Paul East Raza.

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:_yes____

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:_no___

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? Type yes or no:no_____

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? Type yes or no:__no___

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:__no___

Type yes or no:_no___

• 1 month later...

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:yes

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:no

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? Type yes or no:yes...he said that he could impound my car.

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:yes

Type yes or no:yes. It was by Mail Boxes Etc. Officer said that I was going the wrong way on a one way street...even though the arrow for the one way does not start until after the carril that runs along the caraterra.

7. Please describe any special circumstances about this event: We are interested in where the event took place, when the event took place, if you had witnesses, if you would recognize the official and if you were able to obtain the name of the official etc:I understand that Validad can not impound my car unless in an accident with injuries. The officer ( A. Juarez) told me that he could impound my car because I didnt have the import paper in the car and that looking at the sticker on the windshield was not good enough. I understand that Aduana is the only one who could impound the car ( no accident).??

• 8 months later...

maw

I am Dr. Paul East Raza.

1. Were you stopped during 2009 by the local traffic police? Type yes or no:_yes____

2. At this time did a traffic police official request money, directly or indirectly? Type yes or no:_yes___

3. At this time did you provide money to the official? Type yes or no:_yes____

4. At this time, did you feel threatened by the official? Type yes or no:_yes____

5. If you didn’t pay any money to the official, were you issued a traffic ticket? Type yes or no:_no____

Type yes or no:_no___

It was in Ajijic centro near the plaza. No witnesses, and I wouldn't recognize the official except he was very rude and abrasive. I don't live in Ajijic, but he assumed I did and kept trying to increase the amount of money he demanded. He ended up with all the cash I had on me because he threatened to impound my vehicle, even though I am disabled, use a wheelchair, and have disabled plates and a wheelchair ramp installed. I had no way to prove I did NOT commit the infraction. I was accused of making a U-turn on a one-way street which is barely wide enough to drive down, much less make a U-turn in a mini-van.

• 4 weeks later...

On Easter Sunday I was directed to pull over by two police officers in a truck. They carried no identification, the Spanish speaking officer, large, mustache, aggressive (appeared angry) said thru his english speaking assistant (officer??no uniform) that I was being stopped because of a personalized licence plate. They indicated immediately they intended to tow my car to the office because the "ticket" was a large amount. I asked repeatedly to give me the ticket and asked how much is the ticket. They continued to repeat that I must get out of the vehicle and he appeared to wave at a tow truck driver. I took out my wallet and again asked to receive the ricket. They wanted to see the identification info on car as well as my fm3 and passport. I had 1000 pesos in my hand to indicate I could pay the ticket in order not to have my car towed away...it takes special care to tow it as it is a Smart Car and small wheel base etc requires special care.

The officer took my papers and the 1000 pesos then announced that there was no need to go to the office or get a ticket and that I should go. The entire episode was very upsetting and I have to say has left a very bad taste in my mouth about living in a place where the police are robbers.

I mentioned this incident to a friend and she and her husband experienced the same ordeal by the same officers within minutes of my experience, the only differance was the reason for stopping them was traveling the wrong way down a one way street which they tell me had not even happened.Email me

Sorry to hear that you let your fear get the best of you. I always tend to think that the bad ones will remember certain vehicles which have paid in the past and therefore would likely pay again, such as yours. If I was on a lonely country road I would likely feel differently, but in town, with lots of people and traffic all around, the thing to do is be dumb and polite. Don't be scared. Don't contradict him, as he will lose face. Just agree that you deserve a ticket and keep asking for it. Dumb and polite. Don't offer any Spanish. They will only waste a certain amount of time before they realize you are a dead end to them financially and they will go for a different target. This has worked for us. Even if he does give you a ticket they are for very small amounts and you get 50% off if you pay them in Chapala within 5 days. Alternatively, if you are not Mexican-plated, you can probably rip them up as they can not enforce them.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear that you let your fear get the best of you. I always tend to think that the bad ones will remember certain vehicles which have paid in the past and therefore would likely pay again, such as yours. If I was on a lonely country road I would likely feel differently, but in town, with lots of people and traffic all around, the thing to do is be dumb and polite. Don't be scared. Don't contradict him, as he will lose face. Just agree that you deserve a ticket and keep asking for it. Dumb and polite. Don't offer any Spanish. They will only waste a certain amount of time before they realize you are a dead end to them financially and they will go for a different target. This has worked for us. Even if he does give you a ticket they are for very small amounts and you get 50% off if you pay them in Chapala within 5 days. Alternatively, if you are not Mexican-plated, you can probably rip them up as they can not enforce them.

In mexico state they take the plates off the vehicles to make sure they are paid, they may not do that everywhere. I have never been stopped or ticketed though. They are the main ones speeding or driving through lights and stop signs, as everyone does.

I was recently pulled over in Chapala. I made a wrong turn and was going down a one way street ( the wrong way). The officer was in uniform and between little English and Little Spanish, he indicated that I was going down the wrong way and there was a sign. I admitted he was right and I didn't see the sign. Then he asked for my license. Unfortunately I only had a copy, not the original. " Ohhh he said this bad ...no copy and kept repeating that. Again I said your right, give a ticket. He said $600 p, big ticket, I said your right but you are doing your job. Then he told me about paying it fast in Chapala would bring the cost down. I said yes, thank you. And he just walked away.....no ticket. Really lucked out that time.

Archived