Chapala.com Webboard

crossing the border with expired U.S. plates

Kevin K

I know this issue has been discussed here before but can't find the threads using the search function.

We're going to be driving N.O.B. with a car with expired Colorado plates. Of course we'll make sure to get U.S. insurance coverage before we head out. Normally we'd head up through New Mexico but we're leery of even Santa Theresa (forget Ciudad Juarez) so thinking of going through Texas instead. I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that only Colorado has the right to pull us over and ticket us for this - obviously we plan on getting renewed and paying the fine immediately on arrival back home.

If anyone has experience with this issue I'd appreciate hearing about it.

It seems that there are no universal laws or procedures from state to state. All of them require that you have current registration and the lack of it will give them 'probable cause' to do whatever they wish; from just a ticket to impounding the vehicle. I wonder if you couldn't get a temporary 'transport tag' in Texas. You might check their website.

I have the same problem. Leaving soon for Denver and my Colorado tags/registration ran out at the end of April. My main concern is do the folks at the border care?

I'm pretty sure I have a 30 day grace period before TX or CO police are going to ticket me. Taxes have been paid and I have stickers for my tags waiting for me at home, I just don't have them down here. I should have a jpg copy of my new registration by the time I travel.

We've had friends ticketed by eagle-eyed Texas sheriff deputies waiting at the north side of the border; sometimes right at the bridge. They seem to be able to detect expired plates and inspection stickers from quite a distance. One can't help wondering if they have help from the customs booths. :018:

Two guys from here just drove their car with expired Florida plates to Florida where they got their plates updated. No one seemed to notice along the way.

I know this issue has been discussed here before but can't find the threads using the search function.

We're going to be driving N.O.B. with a car with expired Colorado plates. Of course we'll make sure to get U.S. insurance coverage before we head out. Normally we'd head up through New Mexico but we're leery of even Santa Theresa (forget Ciudad Juarez) so thinking of going through Texas instead. I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) that only Colorado has the right to pull us over and ticket us for this - obviously we plan on getting renewed and paying the fine immediately on arrival back home.

I was curious about this so called TX DMV for you. Here is what TX requires for vehicles registered in other states, per Kristi @ State of Texas: Vehicle Titles & Registration Division‎

910 N Watson Rd, Arlington, TX 76011

(817) 649-5938‎:

You can indeed be ticketed in TX for lack of proper registration, plates, insurance, etc. For the situation the OP described, (expired CO registration, driving thru TX to Colorado), TX has a one-trip permit for a fee of $5. It is purchased from the closest regional TX DMV office to your entry point in TX, for the fee and upon showing proof of current insurance, and is good for a one-time 15 day trip, in transit through TX only, dated from Entry TX city (Point A) to Exit TX city (Point B). TX regional dmv offices can be found at www.txdmv.gov. (It's actually /www.txdmv.gov/wheretogo/regional_offices.htm. Office hours are 8-5 M-F, no holidays.)

Apart from this, the state in which your vehicle is registered may, independently, impose fees and penalties for late registration and/or inspection. Some states have a very narrow grace period. Those states can be found in a chart at http://dmvanswers.com/questions/464/Is-there-a-grace-period-for-my-registration.

I forget the name of the woman who returned to Ontario Canada some months ago.... aging is not fun lol She drove all the way to Ontario with expired plates and stated no problems. I am not saying it is legal just what she reported. John

At least for a Canadian the registration remains in effect and the expiration that people write about is simply an annual renewal of a sticker. It is simply taxation. Unless one, with a Canadian car, signs off the registration / ownership the car remains in the person's name. When one annually renews they get two "stickies". One is for the rear plate and another, also small, is different but is applied to the wallet-size registration / ownership document that you carry with you. To get your annual sticker you need to prove insurance. To get insurance you need not prove you have a current "sticker". Hence, this is not an insurance issue at least for Canadians.

Kevin...I have always renewed my Washington State tags online with a credit card and printed the receipt. Check to see if Colorado has that service. I would think the receipt would help if stopped.

Joni

Archived