Chapala.com Webboard

North American Geography Lesson

ajijiccharlie

It always bothers me when people say North America when they mean Canada and the US, so I checked my facts and every source I checked lists Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean as part of North America. I have to admit that I learned some stuff in my search.

Here's what WorldAtlas.com has to say:

"North America, the planet's 3rd largest continent, includes (23) countries and dozens of small island possessions and territories - mostly in the Caribbean. It contains all Caribbean and Central America countries, Canada, Mexico and the United States of America - three of the largest countries on the planet, as well as Greenland - the world's largest island. "

Here's what the Columbia Encyclopedia says:

" (North America is the) third largest continent (1990 est. pop. 365,000,000), c.9,400,000 sq mi (24,346,000 sq km), the northern of the two continents of the Western Hemisphere. North America includes all of the mainland and related offshore islands lying N of the Isthmus of Panama (which connects it with South America). The term "Anglo-America" is frequently used in reference to Canada and the United States combined, while the term "Middle America" is used to describe the region including Mexico, the republics of Central America, and the Caribbean."

It doesn't matter what most encyclopedias say because to most Mexicans their country is not part of North America-only Canada and the US are.

It doesn't matter what most encyclopedias say because to most Mexicans their country is not part of North America-only Canada and the US are.

With all due respect,I disagree. My Mexican in-laws and I had a discussion on this very topic at comida on Sunday. My Mexican relatives very definitely consider Mexico to be part of North America.

My $.02. Mexico is part of North America as it isn't part of Central America which is from Guatemala to Panama. Kind of gets tricky if you only have north and south as where do the central American countries fit in? South America starts with Colombia. To many Mexicans to connotation of North American is a fair skinned, light eyed foreigner although a friend teased me years ago when I said I'm American and he said me too, Central American as we were both "Americans". In Mexico you are in the United States (of Mexico).

Have several Mexican friends who would be happy to point out the ignorance of this statement- When I once said I was an American- It was promptly pointed out that they were also Citizens of No. America and "What right do you people have to claim you are the only Americans when we were here long before any Europeans"

Have several Mexican friends who would be happy to point out the ignorance of this statement- When I once said I was an American- It was promptly pointed out that they were also Citizens of No. America and "What right do you people have to claim you are the only Americans when we were here long before any Europeans"

"...we were here long before any Europeans" That statement is only partially correct. Relatively few Mexicans are of 100% indigenous blood. Most Mexicans,such as my spouse and all of our Mexican relatives,are a mix of Indigenous and European. In my spouse's case the single largest nationality is German, followed by Spanish,French and then indigenous. I don't know the number for certain but I have read several times that the indigenous are a very small minority of the Mexican population today.

I have to tell you that myself and my family are Canadians.

Many years ago both of my kids travelled the world with Up With People.

When my daughter was in Europe, her and an American student went to a high school class and introduced theirselves. The American said my name is Sarah and this is my friend, Deanna. Were "Americans".

My Daughter said - "Hold it.... I'm Canadian, Sarah is American." Sarah said, "but we both live in North America. Were both American."

I won't go on about the dialogue that continued... but Sarah soon found out the difference.

Does any of us non-Americans have to wonder what would have happened if Sarah had been there with Juan Carlos from Mexico? How would he have been introduced?

I rest my case..... unsure.gif

"...we were here long before any Europeans" That statement is only partially correct. Relatively few Mexicans are of 100% indigenous blood. Most Mexicans,such as my spouse and all of our Mexican relatives,are a mix of Indigenous and European. In my spouse's case the single largest nationality is German, followed by Spanish,French and then indigenous. I don't know the number for certain but I have read several times that the indigenous are a very small minority of the Mexican population today.

I know the same is true of Canada.... and probably the U.S.A. as well.

Mexican Spanish has very distinct names for the various nationalities: Estadounidense, Canadiense, Mexicano, etc. That solves the problem of national identity and leaves no room for controversy.

I recall attending a parade once and noting a multinational float, carrying multiple flags from North American countries. On the float was a sign that said, "Somos Unos" ("We are one"). I like that sentiment.

To me of course Mexico is part of North America but many Mexicans lump Canadians and Americans together as North Americans. They will say someone came to your house while you were out and you ask who-they will reply a North American-meaning it wasn't (or they thought it wasn't) a Mexican. If you point out that they are North American also they will say no I'm Mexican.

To me of course Mexico is part of North America but to many, many Mexicans they don't live in North America but in Mexico. You try and tell them but Mexico is part of NA but they say no.

And in the US I have heard many people use the term "Americans" to refer to citizens of the US - specifically excluding Mexico. But it is not just geography lessons that are needed:)

Archived