Chapala.com Webboard

La Iguana

Mainecoons

Guest Gringal

I don't believe it! Neither John nor his Doctor would EVER eat Mexican cuisine!

Aw c'mon guys. You know darn well his Mexican doctor eats Mexican cuisine. One of these days John might surprise himself and have something delicious in a Mexican restaurant....and change his opinion.

I have to admit that high end Mexican cuisine is not exactly easily available hereabouts unless you know something I don't. If so, TELL. Plenty of good basic food, though.

We went with a group on a bus of approx 20 people to TINTO Y BLANCO about 6 years ago. It is behind Santo Coyote and makes Santo Coyote look like a fast food place.

TINTO Y BLACO was wonderful. everyone agreed. May of us had Filet Migno, I think the best I've ever had in my life. Fantatis wine list too. It's not cheap. I believe my Filet was about $ 200. pesos 6 years ago,

Last year Tinto y Blanco was totally renovated and enlarged, it's nicer than ever. The menu is "Fuzion" and very creative. The wine list is extensive as are the selections by-the-glass. We din't find our dinner "expensive" but certainly more than is typical lakeside, but everything about Tinto y Blanco is way above typical lakeside.

I'm taking this back to the original topic. I enjoyed reading the part about good Guad restaurants but think that should have been put in a new post.

Eight of us went for Comida to La Iguana de Piedra today and everyone really enjoyed their meals. The setting is one of the prettiest we've seen in Mexico - or anywhere else. The service was excellent and very friendly. The waiters remembered who ordered what - which was very nice!

These are the meals we ordered:

* Shrimp Empanadas - outstanding and full of shrimp!

* Molcajete Mixta - shrimp, chicken and arrachara with peppers and onions cooked in a lava bowl.

* Coconut shrimp

* Arrachara

* Breaded Shark filets

* Chicken fajitas

* Chicken burger

All meals came with a nice salad and rice - except the Molcajete. Chips and Mexican salsa fresca were also served. The desserts were really good! Two of us had blackberry ice cream and another person had Flan Napolitano.

With alcoholic drinks, the bill for two people was about $400 pesos.

We will be going back there soon!!!!!

I have eaten at La Iguana de Piedra, was not ignored at all, and had great food. I too used my best Spanish. The service was excellent and I had the best pescado à la veracruzana I have ever had. Big portion, more than I could eat and lovely presentation. And beautiful surroundings.

I don't believe it! Neither John nor his Doctor would EVER eat Mexican cuisine!

I'm surprised that both John and his "Mexican Doctor, who is very well known in Ajijic", are still in Mexico.

My wife and I were there... I had the breaded shark (Cuzon) and my wife had the coconut shrimp. Both meals were very well prepared and beautifully presented. We didn't have appetizers - unless you call her rum and coke and my 2 gin martinis appetizers - but she had the homemade blackberry ice cream and thought it was wonderful. I finished with coffee and also took half of my fish home for tomorrow.

We had 3 waiters looking after us - all spoke good English.

Great meal for 520 pesos including a 15 % tip - even tho I'm Canadian, I felt generous enough to try to make up for all of my fellow "snowbirds" who have migrated north already.... 019.gif

Put this place on your "Bucket List" ! ! !

Archived