Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing the US border or not ?

Rony

Can anybody tell me if, going to the border in order to get the new 6 months tourist (FMT) card, you actually have to cross the border (Laredo or Tijuana or other ...) into the US ? Or could you just leave Mexico, go into no man's land in between the 2 countries and walk back again towards the Mexican immigration office in order the pick up a new tourist card ?

(avoiding the long waiting lines for the US and also ... not being an American, avoiding the necessary paperwork to get into the US).

Thanks for answering my question.

You can try, but I have heard that those recognized as just having left Mexico may be denied another FMT and have had to go to another crossing point. That, of course, would require entering the USA. The FMT is designed as a 180 day (maximum) tourist permit; once per year.

When the new FMM is introduced in May, it appears that they may enforce this rule and, if you intend to stay more than 180 days, require that you apply for an FM3 within a certain time frame before the FMM expires. I"m uncertain if the FMM will be a multiple entry document, or if it simply means that it has multiple (3) categories of temporary visitations to Mexico.

Actually, there is no 'no man's land' between the two countries. The line is very definite at the border. If you have more than 30 days remaining on your FMT, you might find it more convenient and less expensive to apply for an FM3.

At Laredo or Colombia the checkpoints are right at the border, so that plan might prove difficult. At Nogales, the visas are issued at an office about 20 km. into Mexico. If you stop on the way North and turn in your FMT (if that is what you should do), then go into town, but do not cross the border, and spend a night, then return South, it may be that you are considered to have left Mexico, since there is a strip of land inside Mexico where visas are not required. If you cross the border at Mariposa and go into Nogales, Mexico for a day, then return to the USA, I do not believe you need a visa, nor do I think you are breaking any Mexican laws.

I have wondered myself what would happen if you canceled your car permit, then turned around and got a new one. I doubt that there is any way to check.

Would be nice to hear from someone with real world experience vs conjecture? I suspect one can go to border without crossing and get a new FM-T but again love to know reality.

I must be missing something elbeigicano, but even if your idea is physically possible, I strongly suspect that it would not meet any test of legality. For me the potential problems with this approach far outweigh saving a small amount time waiting in line. The more so, as you will have already invested 24 hours or so in the round trip from here to the border.

After that, what is a little more time?

I must be missing something elbeigicano, but even if your idea is physically possible, I strongly suspect that it would not meet any test of legality. For me the potential problems with this approach far outweigh saving a small amount time waiting in line. The more so, as you will have already invested 24 hours or so in the round trip from here to the border.

After that, what is a little more time?

It may be that the OP does not have a visa for the US??

I was only looking at all the options, within the law of course, considering that many times there is some kind of no man's land in between 2 neighbouring countries and their respective immigration offices (technically you would leave the country in that case and it might therefore not be illegal to return within a short time frame ).

About the 180 days being granted only once a year ... difficult to imagine (but always possible), because what if an American family, for example, would plan 2 or more SHORT holidays a year into the heart of Mexico (since lately they only seem to be putting 180 days in the passport) ?

I will most likely go for the FM3-route anyway (am not a great "bus rider") since I am not ready for an adventure.

Thanks to the former "replyers" ( correct English ?? ... not my mother tongue ) for answering the initial question and the little brainstorm.

Archived