Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration question

Mary

We are here on a Tourist Card which allows us to be in Mexico for 180 days. Our flight home is actually booked on the 182nd day - will this cause us a problem at the airport with Immigration? Would it be wise to change our flight? Thanks for your input.

They can get pretty strict about overstaying and fine you. I suggest that you go to the airport this week and indicate your problem to INM. Perhaps they will offer a solution, but they don't, and can't, give extensions for anything short of a serious medical emergency which requires hospitalization. Actually, it will probably be much simpler to pay the fee and change your flight to the 179th or 180th day. Count carefully.

A new law will go into effect 1 May 2010. The implications are still being sorted out, but I would either change my flight or go to the airport and discuss this with INM. After 1 May you will no longer be abler to extend an FMT in-country.

Best option is to go home within the 180 days. Some other possible options are to do nothing and maybe they won't notice, or maybe they'll fine you or scold you or some would say they lost their card and get a new one.

Archived