Chapala.com Webboard

Spanish Language Classes in Guad

sofia

We have friends who are considering retiring here (Ajijic) and are thinking of spending a few months (May-August) living at Lakeside. While here they would like to attend language classes in Guad and have asked me about the commute. As we don't drive into Guad, except on an occasional Sunday morning, I don't know how to respond. Does anyone have any input? I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

That's very true, if they are looking for a weekly class. However, my guess is that they are looking into an immersion course for an intensive daily experience. If that is the case, I don't think there is such a course available locally, unless Sol y Luna has one. Check here: http://www.solylunamexico.com/

The only thing close to an immersion program that I know about that exists locally is the Chapala Learning Center. They use the Warren Hardy method and materials.

http://www.chapalalearningcenter.com/

I'm currently taking some classes at Sol y Luna in Ajijic (not immersion) but the teacher is leaving next week to go to Guerrero. I'm not sure when he's returning or what Sol y Luna will be offering during the summer......slow season.

The language instruction available through LCS can only take you so far, and I don't think it's even offered during the summer.

Tlaquepaque would be doable, but even that drive would get tiresome on a daily basis. Depends on how committed they are.

If there is another more intensive approach available locally, I'd love to hear about it.

"Immersion" would almost preclude living in Ajijic while attending classes. One simply can't avoid speaking English in Ajijic. It might be possible in Chapala or Jocotopec, for example, but still difficult. It might be better to stay in Guadalajara, where the expats are so diluted that they're hard to find, and the locals don't necessarily 'cater' to them.

One might stay in Chapala, take a bus & taxi to Tlaquepaque, having opportunities to practice during the commute and the chance to sit on the plaza in the evening to practice with locals. That could work well, as the Chapala plaza and mercado publico area are still quite 'undiluted'.

• 2 months later...

Archived