Chapala.com Webboard

AMSIF has a Sweet Temptations Cafe in San Juan Cosala

simpsca

Those who don't know San Juan Cosala (the town) don't know that we have a good take out food cafe in San Juan Cosala (it's part of AMSIF the charity organization that helps Mexican families). Sweet Temptations (Dulce Tentations)is open from 10 to 2pm and 3 to 6pm every day except Sunday. They have chicken and tuna empanadas as well as apple, and many other deserts in a see into refridgerator. I often order empanadas in the morning for pick up in the afternoon - call at 10:30 for pick up between 1 and 2pm because they do sometimes run out. Their phone number is (387)761-1094 - you may need to speak a little Spanish or someone who speaks English may be there. All food is prepared by the women in the town, and all proceeds go to the charity.

They will also do catering and can make many items - even the chicken and tuna empanadas in small cocktail size, to a full buffet. If you want to cater a party or just have a very large order or group luncheon, call Alecia Salcido at home (she speaks English) phone 761-0185 or email aliciasalcido2003@yahoo.com It's a cafe, not a restaurant, so for a luncheon you need to call Alecia and make plans.

She can also arrange a luncheon for a group of friends of 5 or more at AMSIF. The back patio is a lovely setting and our tables were set with white table cloths and exotic flowers.

Take out - The cost is very reasonable - for example - a very generous chicken or tuna empanada in puff pastery (not sweet) are 15 pesos each - one is enough for most people for lunch. Deserts, fabulous flan, apple empanadas, carrot cake, etc. are 15 pesos each. the keep well in the fridge at least 2 days with a toaster over reheat. They are the best empanadas I've ever had, possibly I am addicted to them. For a lucheon they do chicke, mushroom and spinach crepes (to die for) or can do a pork loin luncheon and many many other things.

We just had a luncheon there and 2 huge empanadas plus a salad or 3 small crepes plus a salad cost 50 pesos per person. Agua fresca (combined strawberry and raspberry 10 pesos - coffee and tea 15 pesos. Deserts 15 pesos.

Just thought I'd post about another little known cafe with great potential.

They have a bazar once a month where people from San Juan Cosala can buy clothing and other items very reasonably, so if you don't know what to do with your extra clothes or household items, you can donate them to AMSIF. It's a non profit and is funded completely by charitable activities. Again, it is in the town of San Juan Cosala, on Porfirio Diaz, across the street from the plaza which is near the church.

Archived