Chapala.com Webboard

Places to stay in Patzcuaro?

slumdog

I thought I'd spend a few nights at the Mansion Iturbe, but at $1,000 pesos/night, that's a little rich for my blood. Anyone have recommendations for decent lodgings in the central area, so we don't have to get in the car every morning to walk around?

On the large square, you will find the Posada San Rafael with secure parking inside the property. It is a fascinating old building and we have stayed there for as little as 410 pesos a few years ago. Breakfast is not included, but they do have a restaurant open for breakfast on the second floor.

The Hotel Grande is on the small square, with nearby parking, and is also in the same price range, but can be noisy.

RVGringo: Thanks, exactly the kind of poop I was looking for.

Doolittle, it's my experience that it's often faster and better to ask on this board, because word-of-mouth is the best recommendation. Not to mention, I'm off to Patzcuaro for some sightseeing, so sitting in the hotel breakfast bar would be defeating my purpose. I've been through the town before, and there are lots of neat cafes.

We like the Mirador del Lago - a fairly new hotel with beautiful rooms, secure parking and fantastic views of the lake. It's located on the main carretera through town about halfway between the Best Western and large Soriana store. It's not located in centro, but the price (650p) and the rooms and view make it one of the best hotels I've stayed in Mexico.

http://www.hotelmiradorlago.com.mx/hotel.html

Thank you, OregonDuck: I will check it as well. Lat time I was through, there was a huge tianguis about six blocks from the centro. Does anyone recall what day that would on?

If you're talking about the Pátzcuaro market just off Plaza Gertrudis Bocanegra (the small plaza), it's open seven days a week.

If you're talking about the Pátzcuaro market just off Plaza Gertrudis Bocanegra (the small plaza), it's open seven days a week.

Don't really know the location; from what I've been able to dig up on the web, the main tianguis are on Fridays only, although the market is as you say open every day. It was BIG.

Don't really know the location, although from what I've been able to dig up on the web, the main tianguis are on Fridays only, although the market is as you say open every day. It was BIG.

Slumdog, what you read on the web is incorrect. The market--both the indoor market and the outdoor tianguis that surrounds it on two sides, is open seven days a week. Trust me: I live in Morelia and take tourists on culinary tours of the Pátzcuaro market any day they choose to go.

We stayed at the Hotel San Rafael about 18 months ago. Right on the plaza and a very nice place. Only caveat is that they don't have 24 hour hot water. It only comes on in the morning and goes off sometime in the evening. My wife gets up early, so this was a problem for her. I guess they don't stoke up the boiler until about 7 or 8 AM. There is a sign on the bathroom door that lists the hours of hot water.

Enjoy your stay in Patzcuaro. Here is a posting from our photojournal blog on our visit with some things you might want to check out: Patzcuaro sights

• 2 months later...

Thanks, everyone. We stayed two nights in Patzcuaro at the San Rafael, and the room was as predicted. Clean, tidy, very large place, old Mexican styling. Beds were atrocious in our room, and there was a faint odor of sewage. But the price was right, and the access to everything was what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the main museum nearby is closed on the weekends. We were told at the desk that the tianguis are only one day a week; however, the mercado is open all the time. We found that a couple of blocks away: it was huge, and all the stalls had the same stuff as they have around here. So this was not the tianguis I drove through two years ago, with what looked like six blocks of fruit/veg, etc. Too bad. Lovely time, though.

Thanks, everyone. We stayed two nights in Patzcuaro at the San Rafael, and the room was as predicted. Clean, tidy, very large place, old Mexican styling. Beds were atrocious in our room, and there was a faint odor of sewage. But the price was right, and the access to everything was what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the main museum nearby is closed on the weekends. We were told at the desk that the tianguis are only one day a week; however, the mercado is open all the time. We found that a couple of blocks away: it was huge, and all the stalls had the same stuff as they have around here. So this was not the tianguis I drove through two years ago, with what looked like six blocks of fruit/veg, etc. Too bad. Lovely time, though.

You should have called me. The Museo Regional de Arte Popular (the main museum in Pátzcuaro) is open both Saturday and Sunday every week; it's closed on Monday. The tianguis that surrounds the market--on the plaza chica--is open every day, just as I posted above. Can't imagine why the hotel desk would give you such bad information. Next time you're coming this way, let me know.

If you have a car, Posada San Rafael is perfect. You can often park at your door and always within the hotel compound. About a block from Plaza Grande and Ranked #1 in TripAdvisor for Patzcuaro is La Casa Encantada, on Dr Coss # 15 http://www.lacasaencantada.com/

Also, check out Casa Werma, a beautiful 5+ acre oasis, in the middle of Patzcuaro, 2 blocks from the main market. http://www.casawerma.com/pages/patzcuaro.asp ph#434-342-4671 Buen viaje, David

You should have called me. The Museo Regional de Arte Popular (the main museum in Pátzcuaro) is open both Saturday and Sunday every week; it's closed on Monday. The tianguis that surrounds the market--on the plaza chica--is open every day, just as I posted above. Can't imagine why the hotel desk would give you such bad information. Next time you're coming this way, let me know.

Thanks for the offer! The main museum was closed, though, both Friday and Saturday, with no signs on the door explaining why. (We went there, didn't ask the clerk on that one.) I'm unclear as to the whole tianguis situation, though, as what I saw outside the mercado was pretty sad compared to what I saw the last time I was there. She did point out that there is a huge on during the Easter weeks... maybe that was it?

Thanks for the offer! The main museum was closed, though, both Friday and Saturday, with no signs on the door explaining why. (We went there, didn't ask the clerk on that one.) I'm unclear as to the whole tianguis situation, though, as what I saw outside the mercado was pretty sad compared to what I saw the last time I was there. She did point out that there is a huge on during the Easter weeks... maybe that was it?

Well...maybe. And maybe you were accidentally at the public library rather than the museum. The library has been closed for renovations.

Well...maybe. And maybe you were accidentally at the public library rather than the museum. The library has been closed for renovations.

Nope, it was definitely the museum. I'd been there before.

Archived