Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. Insurance for Mexican Plated Car

dcstroker

My wife and are going to be driving up to San Diego the first of March in our Mexican plated Jeep Wrangler and will need insurance while we are in the U.S. We did this last year and before we left I checked with Parker Ins., who we have our policy with, and was told that they couldn't insure us in the U.S.. I also called Rachel and was told the same story and that if anyone said they could insure us from here that it wouldn't be legal. So, we got insurance just before we got to the border in Nogales. They told us that the shortest policy that we could get was for 3 months. We are only going to be up there for 2 weeks. Has anyone here had this experience and do you have any recommendations?

The last time we went north, we got Liability Insurance from Carmen Garcia, at the insurance office behind the Pemex, in the Plaza Interlago, on the libramiento. Look for 'Canadians in Mexico' opposite the car wash. Her e-mail is garcia_615@hotmail.com

I have bought insurance for NOB several times from www.segurogringo.com

You buy the policy on-line, from one day to 30, then 90, 180 and 365 days. The policy is available for printing immediately. You need a credit card to pay.

My agents here have told me that the collision, etc. coverage of my Mexican policy is valid in the USA and Canada, so all that is needed is liability insurance. Premium for one day is $7.00 and for 90 days is about $90.00.

I've never had a claim, but I've searched the insurance company they use and it is registered in Texas with the Department of Insurance.

Archived