Chapala.com Webboard

las playas fish market

the walkers

I tried Ignacio and found that he adds about 50% to the prices for coming to your door. His things are always frozen and he has a LOT of the same fish, scallops, etc that the fish market on the mountain side of the Carretera in Ajijic sells for a LOT LESS MONEY! And you can get fresh fish - not frozen too! So - to each his own!

Probably thawed not fresh. Not a lot is fresh here unless it came from Manzanillo. Concerning the two markets in Ajijic, I wonder why the restaurants by from Las Playas? The way we determined who to buy from was to ask some of the restaurant owners. If it's frozen it's no big deal, but I won't cross the street to save 10pesos (80US cents) a kilo! I usually buy less than a kilo so I'd be saving what, 3 or 4 cents? BTW, I'd check the expiration date on those mussels.

Quick update....the lady from Las Playas didn't call today so I guess she wasn't able to get the Monkfish at the price we'd hoped for. I did check the expiration date on the box of Mussels we bought at the Pescaderia on the mountain side of the Carretera (just across from Las Playas in Ajijic) and the date is Dec. 2010 so I am hoping they'll be good with some pasta I'm making for lunch tomorrow....

Will go by the Pescaderia and see if he was able to get the Monkfish for a Sat. delivery. I hope so as I am eager to grill some. Based upon the Monkfish I've eaten at La Tabarka, it's delicious! Although I prefer a rare ribeye any day of the week, some great seafood does run a close second. It's nice to have good choices here lakeside.

Happy eating,

Valerie

we went by las playas yesterday and told steve what you experienced. he said he was sorry, that the fish prices do flucuate and the 130p price for the monkfish was a short time special. the price now is 198p/kilo. that said, he has a lot of fish at various prices. while we like to treat ourselves to some flounder(lenguado) at 128p/k ,the sea bass(robalo) was attractive at 98p/k ,and he had some pargo at 78p/k . pargo is a type of red snapper that comes from the pacific,not the atlantic or caribbean. steve is offering a 10% discount on the weekly special, red snapper at 128p/k to anyone who has a LCS or American Legion card, or just tell him that the walkers sent you!

Quick update....the lady from Las Playas didn't call today so I guess she wasn't able to get the Monkfish at the price we'd hoped for. I did check the expiration date on the box of Mussels we bought at the Pescaderia on the mountain side of the Carretera (just across from Las Playas in Ajijic) and the date is Dec. 2010 so I am hoping they'll be good with some pasta I'm making for lunch tomorrow....

Will go by the Pescaderia and see if he was able to get the Monkfish for a Sat. delivery. I hope so as I am eager to grill some. Based upon the Monkfish I've eaten at La Tabarka, it's delicious! Although I prefer a rare ribeye any day of the week, some great seafood does run a close second. It's nice to have good choices here lakeside.

Happy eating,

Valerie

• 5 years later...
Guest bennie2

the most i pay for that kind of fish is 80-100 pesos a kilo. you get 3 big pieces. redsnapper, sea bass, pago, maki maki.

Archived