Chapala.com Webboard

las playas fish market

the walkers

our favorite fish market has opened a second store in san antonio, next to tony's and superlake.

steve always has the best fish and extends special attention to his customers, whether their order is large or small. he also speaks english and is very knowledgeable about his product.

the market is open everyday except sundays, from 9am to 5pm.

he specializes in ocean varieties like fresh flounder, grouper, mahi-mahi, wild salmon,clams, fresh shrimp and has a new freezer with cleaned and deveined shrimp, lobster, scallops, mussels and smoked marlin.

we eat his stuff at least twice a week, so this new place with its convenient parking is a big plus.

I usually buy a kilo of Large shrimp from the guy who comes in from San Blas on Wednesdays at Tianguis in Ajijic. The charge for the kilo is 120 pesos and I generally have 36 shrimp, give or take 1 or 2. They are always fresh and delicious.

I don't know about prices on lobster as I usually only see it at Costco. in GDL and it's so far out of my price range that I don't look more closely, LOL!

Valerie :D

Oops, forgot to mention the fish I have been buying the last couple of weeks. I had some wonderful swordfish that was priced at 55/kilo and some tasty Dorado (Mahi Mahi) that was priced at 70/kilo. I've eaten then a couple of times each in the last 2 weeks and they were terrific.

I got them from the Pescaderia on the Carretera near the intersection with Colon. I buy from the guy on the mountain side of the Carretera.

I usually buy a kilo of Large shrimp from the guy who comes in from San Blas on Wednesdays at Tianguis in Ajijic. The charge for the kilo is 120 pesos and I generally have 36 shrimp, give or take 1 or 2. They are always fresh and delicious.

I don't know about prices on lobster as I usually only see it at Costco. in GDL and it's so far out of my price range that I don't look more closely, LOL!

Don't forget to try the Chapala or Itxlahuacan markets since the same $120 shrimp in Ajijic are $100 in Ixtlahuacan and Chapala (but they are delicious).

Oops, forgot to mention the fish I have been buying the last couple of weeks. I had some wonderful swordfish that was priced at 55/kilo and some tasty Dorado (Mahi Mahi) that was priced at 70/kilo. I've eaten then a couple of times each in the last 2 weeks and they were terrific.

I got them from the Pescaderia on the Carretera near the intersection with Colon. I buy from the guy on the mountain side of the Carretera.

We buy our seafood from the Pescaderia on the mountain side of the highway too, Valerie, and have always been very pleased with what he sells. And, if there is something I want and he doesn't have it, he will get it for me.

Went to the new location the other day to check it out and none of it was on ice it was on top of water and it all looked old and soggy.

Clams were frozen in some liquid and they were $49p for a little zip lock bag.

I think I will stick to my guys at the bottom of the tianguis.

Guest Gringal

Went to the new location the other day to check it out and none of it was on ice it was on top of water and it all looked old and soggy.

Clams were frozen in some liquid and they were $49p for a little zip lock bag.

I think I will stick to my guys at the bottom of the tianguis.

I just went to the location near Superlake. The place smelled like a fish market should: the fish was laid on top of a thin green paper over a bed of ice. For 45 pesos, we bought two good sized pieces of sea bass, enough for a very generous fish dinner.

They had a nice variety of fish for sale, including actually red snapper. We'll be back.

My problem with the guys at the bottom of the tianguis has been the quantity of flying critters on and around the fish. The store didn't have that problem.

I just went to the location near Superlake. The place smelled like a fish market should: the fish was laid on top of a thin green paper over a bed of ice. For 45 pesos, we bought two nice sized pieces of sea bass.

They had a nice variety of fish for sale, including actually red snapper. We'll be back.

My problem with the guys at the bottom of the tianguis has been the quantity of flying critters on and around the fish. The store didn't have that problem.

His seabass and mahi are terrific and for two good sized portions, it always runs between 45 and 50 pesos. I buy his peeled, deveined shrimp (he peels and deveins them himself). No muss, no fuss, no stinky garbage! They are 98 pesos for 32 large shrimp (4 generous servings); he leaves just the tail piece on...makes a great cocktail shrimp, or for us, grilled shrimp served with a variety of dipping sauces. He sells his very large shell-on San Blas shrimp for 120 pesos.

I have never had a bad piece of seafood from him...and have been buying from his carretera/Colon shop weekly since July 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

steve has these big scallops for sale--about the size of a biscuit--that are so tender and sweet that we just had to have more. they were frozen ,but very good. think they were around 118p a package which had about 8 of them. also had the red snapper at 112p/kilo that looked like it had just been caught. although there are storms at sea right now, when he has fresh flounder, don't miss it....

• 2 months later...

I walked by there the other day in Super Lakes parking lot not near the door to Las Playas and it stunk of fish. That's NOT fresh fish.

We buy our Bay Scallops from the Fishmonger Ignacio who comes door to door every two weeks. They're deelish. They cost $ 80. pesos for one kilo. We get 4 individual meals of 16 - 18 per serving from them. We call these Cape Scallops in Massachsetts. Many of the large Scallops are not scallops, they are codfish cheeks. He has all kinds of fish, salmon, Sea Bass, Tilapia, etc, always fresh.

He has frozen uncooked Shrimp, frozen cooked medium shrimp, etc always hard frozen at decent prices.

Ignacio goes to most of the Gated Communities.

I walked by there the other day in Super Lakes parking lot not near the door to Las Playas and it stunk of fish. That's NOT fresh fish.

We buy our Bay Scallops from the Fishmonger Ignacio who comes door to door every two weeks. They're deelish. They cost $ 80. pesos for one kilo. We get 4 individual meals of 16 - 18 per serving from them. We call these Cape Scallops in Massachsetts. Many of the large Scallops are not scallops, they are codfish cheeks. He has all kinds of fish, salmon, Sea Bass, Tilapia, etc, always fresh.

He has frozen uncooked Shrimp, frozen cooked medium shrimp, etc always hard frozen at decent prices.

Ignacio goes to most of the Gated Communities.

Next time you see him please ask him to come to the west end of Angel Flores (behind Roberto's) to #1 and #72. Believe it or not they're on opposite sides of the street. Las Salvias is a community but no gate.

When you walk by a fish market 30 feet away and it stinks of fish, it's not fresh. We live in central Mexico, so there is little fresh fish here. It comes from the coast off the boats. I don't know if they use day boats or trawlers, but trawlers stay out for weeks with fish on ice. Same as in the States.

Day boats are as the name implies and the fish is fresher. Don't forget the fish from the coast goes to Mercado del Mar in GDL and then to here. Who knows how it's handled in transport.

Really how fresh is the fish in Mexico except along the coast?

In the US, the East coast and West coast has lots of fresh shellfish and fish. I'm from the Boston area. You get fresh Shrimp and Lobster from Maine and the Massachusetts coast. Fresh fish off the fish pier in Boston where the trawlers come in. Fresh fish from the trawlers in Gloucester, New Bedford and shellfish from RI. Fresh "real" lobster from Maine.

Most of the Shrimp they call Jumbo or Large are really medium in Mexico. Instead of labelling them properly like U 15 or U 8 which are Jumbo and Super Jumbo, they choose to label them differently. Costco has U 8 Tiger Shrimp and U 15 frozen Shrimp. The tianguis guy has the largest local Shrimp similar to U 15. Smaller shrimp might be U 20 - 30 or U 30 -40 giving how many there are to a pound, a much more accurate description than calling them Jumbo, Large or Medium.

If you sniff the fish he sells, you'll find that they do not have an odor. They are very good quality. I think the smell comes from the melting ice in the fish pans, which drains somewhere and must be getting warm this time of year. Less people would be scared-off if he put some clorox in the bucket (or whatever he uses to catch the drainage). Just my opinion. I buy fish there and have never had anything with even a slight off odor.

we drop by the fish market about twice a week. we have always found it clean and fresh at both of his shops. yesterday steve had some very large monkfish(130p/kilo), flounder,salmon, grouper and his weekly special at 120p/kilo red snapper. he also gives a 10% discount on the weekly special to LCS and American Legion members. steve is a man who loves his work and does it well and is excited about giving his customers personal service. now that the snowbirds are gone and easter season is done, he´d love to have a chat with you....

I was so pleased when I read the above posting about Monkfish for 130 pesos/kilo. We have enjoyed that fish at the restaurant, La Tabarka. We went to the fish market by Superlake around noon today and asked if they still had the Monkfish. The young man behind the counter said they did and we asked for 2 kilos. He said "it's kind of expensive, are you sure you want 2 kilos....?" We asked how much it was and he told us it was 290 pesos/kilo. We said we'd read here that it was 130 pesos/kilo and he told us "that was only a couple of times during Lent". We said we'd wait until another time as that price was too much for us.

We drove into Ajijic and went to the original Las Playas fish market and talked with the young lady there. She said she didn't have any but that she could get us some for tomorrow at the price of 130 pesos. We gave her our phone number and asked her to call us if she could get some for us tomorrow, as discussed. We saw the frozen green lipped mussels up front and asked the price for the box (it was 120 pesos).

Then, we walked across the Carretera to the other Pescaderia. We usually buy our seafood from this fellow but after hearing about the Monkfish, I was willing to go to Las Playas. The guy on the North side of the Carretera didn't have Monkfish but said he'd get some for us for Sat. and the price would be 120 pesos/kilo. Also, we asked about the frozen mussels in the box and his were 75 pesos.

Obviously I'm a little disappointed in the Las Playas pricing. I don't mind paying a fair price for products but that just seems ridiculous to me. If the young lady from Las Playas calls tomorrow and has the Monkfish for 130 pesos/kilo, we will buy it from her tomorrow but in the future we'll go back to the guy we normally use. I believe his prices are more fair.

Valerie

Valerie and others - My Mexican Physical Therapist who has lived here for 35 years, always buys from the Pescaderia across from Las Playas. He feels the fish is fresher than Las Playas.

Ya'll can be the judge. We get ours from our door to door fish monger Ignacio.

Valerie and others - My Mexican Physical Therapist who has lived here for 35 years, always buys from the Pescaderia across from Las Playas. He feels the fish is fresher than Las Playas.

Ya'll can be the judge. We get ours from our door to door fish monger Ignacio.

I tried Ignacio and found that he adds about 50% to the prices for coming to your door. His things are always frozen and he has a LOT of the same fish, scallops, etc that the fish market on the mountain side of the Carretera in Ajijic sells for a LOT LESS MONEY! And you can get fresh fish - not frozen too! So - to each his own!

Archived