Chapala.com Webboard

Non returnable beer bottles

G598738

I just visited Mexico for several weeks. I had not been there in 3 years. I see that no deposit beer bottles are readily available. I'm not sure that this is a step in the right direction for Mexico.

Aren't non returnables likely to turn up by the side of the road or in dumps ?? Why the trend ?? What do you all think ??

I'd say the trend was for the same reason as in the US, convenience. Stores don't have to keep cases of bottles around waiting for return to the company, people don't have to carry empties home if they go out, or carry them back to the store.

I'm sure many end up in landfills and along the road, it is a shame. For that reason, aluminum cans are better.

I just visited Mexico for several weeks. I had not been there in 3 years. I see that no deposit beer bottles are readily available. I'm not sure that this is a step in the right direction for Mexico.

Aren't non returnables likely to turn up by the side of the road or in dumps ?? Why the trend ?? What do you all think ??

I'm so trained from Denver to recycle glass that I feel guilty every single time I throw away a beer bottle--that's fairly often. :rolleyes: I finally went to the Modelorama (sp?)near Superlake and bought a case of empty bottles and now buy beer in returnable bottles. My favorite, Leon Negra, actually costs a bit more in returnable bottles, so no encouragement at all to buy beer this way. But I feel less guilty these days.

Live is hard for many of the locals. Many have a tough time making ends meet, so I suspect recycling is low on their list.

Guest shelley

Returnable bottles are also readily available - 35 pesos for Dos Equixx with returnable bottles (store next to superlake). Is Walmart going to start a policy of accepting returnable bottles? Probably never. Too much hassle. Do people pay more - or throw away money by purchasing beer in cans and non returnable bottles - Yes. Why? If you figured out that answer, you would be rich.

Why the trend? Look at the trendsetter - the US - with a multitude of different laws (by state) for returnable bottles.

Whats the big deal? Take all your glass bottles and cans and separate from regular rubbish. Put them out for the Ajijic rubbish truck. We've been doing that for 2 years now.

When the truck gets to the dump, the bottles, cans and cardboard are separated there.

Guest shelley

What is the difference between a non and a returnable bottle? They look the same to me and best of all they taste the same.

A returnable bottle is one that can be returned - and you are given credit for the return.

Here is an example - a six pack of beer is 70 pesos - but actually with returnable bottles, it is 35 pesos for the bottles and 35 pesos for the beer. So when I purchase beer, I bring my empty 6 pack of returnable bottleres and am charged 35 pesos.

If you purchase non-returnable bottles, then you pay more - can't return them - and leave them for the trash pickup. At this point, I think there is just a front end recycling program - that is - you can separate them for the trash men, but it is my understanding that they just go to the dump - joining millions of other bottles and cans - the back end of wall-e world - that is, out of sight, out of mind, and someone elses problem to deal with.

A returnable bottle is one that can be returned - and you are given credit for the return.

Here is an example - a six pack of beer is 70 pesos - but actually with returnable bottles, it is 35 pesos for the bottles and 35 pesos for the beer. So when I purchase beer, I bring my empty 6 pack of returnable bottleres and am charged 35 pesos.

If you purchase non-returnable bottles, then you pay more - can't return them - and leave them for the trash pickup. At this point, I think there is just a front end recycling program - that is - you can separate them for the trash men, but it is my understanding that they just go to the dump - joining millions of other bottles and cans - the back end of wall-e world - that is, out of sight, out of mind, and someone elses problem to deal with.

Besides that, is there a physical diffrence between the bottles, better quality glass...etc???

Whats the big deal? Take all your glass bottles and cans and separate from regular rubbish. Put them out for the Ajijic rubbish truck. We've been doing that for 2 years now.

When the truck gets to the dump, the bottles, cans and cardboard are separated there.

Put them out on "Inorganic Waste" days. In Ajijic that's Tuesdays and Fridays.

I used to buy only beer in retournable bottles but it was such a hassle I now buy only beer in cans. No matter how or where you get rid of the cans they will be recycled as there is money to be made in recycling aluminum.

What is the difference between a non and a returnable bottle? They look the same to me and best of all they taste the same.

For those wanting to purchase one over the other and unsure, if its a twist off its usually non-returnable. Requires church key, usually returnable. If in the 6-pak usually stated on the packaging.

Do you have to return the "returnables" to the same store where you bought them? when ever I return a case of empties for cash to the large Modelo store in San Antonio at the end of our stay, the girl asks for a receipt. Unable to produce one, I have always got a reprieve.

Archived