Chapala.com Webboard

FM-2; after 5 years and vehicles

Guest Gringal

Guest Gringal

Several people I know have been discussing the FM-3/FM-3 issue.

Here is the question, and please, let it be someone who knows the answer officially, giving us the straight scoop:

After five years on an FM-2: (1) are you required to apply for citizenship, or can you continue residing here without the need to renew your FM-2 and pay the fees?

(2) Are you required to get rid of your foreign plated car after five years on your FM-2, have it nationalized or dispose of it and buy a Mexican plated car?

Your first question doesn't make sense "can you continue residing here without the need to renew your FM-2 and pay the fees" you'll need to be here with an immigration status. Another option is inmigrado if you don't want citizenship.

The only people authorized by the customs law to drive foreign plated cars are FM3 holders and FM2 holders who are not working and Mexicans who are living outside Mexico and they must renew their permits every 6 months. So yes, after FM2 (if citizen or inmigrado) you must nationalize your car or sell it or buy a Mexican plated one.

There is some new legislation we are waiting on that should open the door to nationalization for many more cars.

You are allowed to continue to drive a vehicle with foreign plates until your status changes to Inmigrado or until you become a Mexican citizen.

You are allowed to renew an FM-2, just as you can renew an FM-3. Here's the link that explains it:

http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php?page/PERMANECER_MXICO_AMPLIAR_FM2. The prorroga mentioned on the INM website is the Spanish word used for renewal.

Guest Gringal

At the end of 5 years of FM2 you can a) apply for inmigrado (landed immigrant), B) apply for citizenship, or c) get a new FM2 or FM3. If you get inmigrado or citizenship you cannot have a foreign plated vehicle.

Thank you. If you go for immigrado, do you have to renew it and pay fees yearly, or is it a one-time process?

Thank you. If you go for immigrado, do you have to renew it and pay fees yearly, or is it a one-time process?

Once. That is why many of us have a FM-2 so that after 5 years we no longer need to go through this annual "qualifying" and fees to live here.

Guest Gringal

Please cite your source, or it is just a rumor and should not be broadcast.

Amen. The last thing we need is to rely on rumors. "just the facts, ma'am". :unsure:

There are some reforms with respect to cars here. I read one and we have it at the office but I asked when it will take effect and nobody knew. I'll try to get it next week, scan it and post it here.

As far as FM2 holders, only retirees (rentistas) may drive foreign plated cars. If you have a work permit then you aren't a rentista and cannot drive a foreign plated car.

That sounds great. I am eligible to become an Immigrada this Spring and have been concernred about my foreign plated car. I don't want to Nationalize it so I didn't know what my options would be. It sounds like so long as I am not working here that I can keep my US plated car. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Valerie :)

If you are inmigrada then you cannot have your foreign plated car. Only inmigrantes rentistas (retired FM2) or no inmigrantes (FM3) can drive foreign plated cars. You would be inmigrado which isn't inmigrante or no inmigrante.

The Federal Law of Customs at Article 106 states:

ARTICULO 106. Se entiende por régimen de importación temporal, la entrada al país de mercancías

para permanecer en él por tiempo limitado y con una finalidad específica, siempre que retornen al

extranjero en el mismo estado, por los siguientes plazos:

lV. Por el plazo que dure su calidad migratoria, incluyendo sus prórrogas, en los siguientes casos:

a) Las de vehículos propiedad de extranjeros que se internen al país con calidad de inmigrantes rentistas o de no inmigrantes, excepto tratándose de refugiados y asilados políticos, siempre que se trate de un solo vehículo. Los vehículos que importen turistas y visitantes locales, incluso que no sean de su

propiedad y se trate de un solo vehículo. Los vehículos podrán ser conducidos en territorio nacional por el importador, su cónyuge, sus ascendientes, descendientes o hermanos, aun cuando éstos no sean

extranjeros, por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso, o por un nacional, siempre que en este último caso, viaje a bordo del mismo cualquiera de las personas autorizadas para conducir el vehículo y podrán efectuar entradas y salidas múltiples.

ARTICLE 106. It is understood regarding the temporary importation regimen that the entry into the country of goods to remain for a limited time with a specific time to be returned outside the country in the same condition will be for the following terms:

IV. For the duration of their immigration status, including extensions, in the following cases:

a) The vehicles that are the property of foreigners admitted into the country with the immigration status of immigrant rentistas (those not working and of independent means) or of non immigrants except those who are refugees and those with political asylum as long as they only have one vehicle. The vehicles that tourists and local visitors import, include those that aren’t their property as long as it is only one vehicle. (Basically one vehicle per person). The vehicles can be driven in Mexico by the importer, their spouse, their parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren or by a foreigner who has the same immigration status as they do or by a Mexican national only when one of the prior mentioned person is in the vehicle with them. They are free to enter and exit Mexico.

OK, now I am confused. Sorry for the repeat but let me see if I understand what you are saying...

If I continue to renew my FM-2 as a retired person living in Mexico, I can maintain my foreign plated car. But, that does require me to submit the paperwork annually and continue to pay the fees for the renewal of the FM-2. OR I can become an Immigrado(a) wherein I no longer provide the paperwork and pay the fees but then I can no longer have my foreign plated car.

Is that right?

If my husband maintains his FM-2 Retired status and I become an Immigrado(a), then can I drive his foreign plated car if he's in the vehicle with me?

Sorry for the confusion. But, as always, I appreciate your help.

Valerie :017:

Sounds right. Also you can only drive a foreign plated car if you are not working in Mexico with your FM2.

You are allowed to continue to drive a vehicle with foreign plates until your status changes to Inmigrado or until you become a Mexican citizen.

You are allowed to renew an FM-2, just as you can renew an FM-3. Here's the link that explains it:

http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php?page/PERMANECER_MXICO_AMPLIAR_FM2. The prorroga mentioned on the INM website is the Spanish word used for renewal.

That website seems not to be working today. I know you can and must RENEW your FM 2 for 5 years, but after the 5th year, I'm under the impression that you must go for Inmigrado or citizenship, but you can not start another FM 2 at the end of the 5 years. If you choose not to continue on, you must return to FM 3. Is that not correct?

Archived