Chapala.com Webboard

Great "New" Restaurant in Mazamitla

thevalerieleigh

Last week we drove up to Mazamitla and due to road construction on the street that we normally take into the town, we took a detour and passed by this lovely restaurant, Guinumo. On a side note, the highway leading up to Mazamitla is sooo much improved. It was easy to get around slower moving vehicles.

It's located near the main plaza on Hidalgo. The address is: Hidalgo 2A.

The ambiance and decor are lovely - they even have a Zen Room. The food was outstanding. There were 4 of us and we tried their guacamole and ajillo mushrooms for appetizers. They were so good we had to order more mushrooms for our steaks that were coming later. I had the Vacio which was thick, tender, juicy and flavorful. A friend ordered the beef fajitas and raved about them. My husband had the Rib Eye which was cooked perfectly medium rare and our other friend had the grilled chicken. Several of us chose the baked potato which was huge and delicious. One person went with steamed veggies while the other had the salad. We were all so pleased with the quality, quantity, presentation and flavor of everything we ordered. We shared their "house dessert" which was kind of like a Sopapilla with apple, cinnamon, caramel, cream and ice cream. After dinner, everyone had either tea, cappuccino or espresso with dessert.

The prices were reasonable and the whole meal cost roughly $700 pesos, including tip.

The waiter said they'd been open about 5 months. He gave me his card with the website, email address and phone number for reservations. He said they are busy on weekends with the Guadalajara crowd but I think the ex-pats would also enjoy it. They are open from 1-10 pm daily.

Here's the contact info. if you care to try it....

www.guinumo.com.mx

patricia@guinumo.com.mx

01-382-538-1038

Enjoy,

Valerie :D

This restaurant sounds wonderful, but I have a salsa question. My favorite part of eating in Mazamitla is the salsa that some of the restaurants make at the table. They bring grilled peppers, tomato, onion, etc. and then make it spicy or not, depending on the table's request.

Here's my question: does this restaurant make the salsa?

They did not make the salsa at the table but they brought out a green salsa and a red salsa. The red salsa had roasted tomatoes in it and I think the green one had roasted tomatillos. I like it pretty spicy so it wasn't hot enough to suit me but it was hot enough for my husband and friends. They said it was a little too spicy for them but that's always a matter of preference, isn't it?

Valerie :)

Archived