Chapala.com Webboard

Swine Flu

annpoucher

What happened to WHO's prediction millions would die with swind flu worldwide? After the media got through crying the "sky is falling" everyone was stocking up on flu meds. Any comments out there?

If you covered a pool table with mouse traps and each could release two balls, you would get an explosion of balls when one more was thrown on the table. If you took half the mouse traps off and threw a ball on the table the action would die out. That is the same as adding a flu shot to a pandemic.

Guest PalapaGirl

If you covered a pool table with mouse traps and each could release two balls, you would get an explosion of balls when one more was thrown on the table. If you took half the mouse traps off and threw a ball on the table the action would die out.

Interesting. Is this a new game? :)

What happened to WHO's prediction millions would die with swind flu worldwide? After the media got through crying the "sky is falling" everyone was stocking up on flu meds. Any comments out there?

It is still with us. When it was first discovered, no one was prepared for it, and many people died. My cuñados' Fiancé in México city is a physician and she treats many H1N1 patients in the hospital where she works there. In the beginning, they were so overwhelmed that many patients died before a room or bed was available for them. It appeared to me that the true number of H1N1 flu deaths were not being released, as the number of deaths reported nationwide in México was static for many months . She is still treating many H1N1 patients, many of her infected patients seek her out and some of them even come to her home for treatment.

Two of my cuñados' grandchildren just recovered from the H1N1 flu, they were very ill, they live in Utah.

I think a persons chances of catching the H1N1 flu are now low, but if you contract it, it is a very serious illness. Several people have died from it here in Cuernavaca. We no longer wear our surgical masks routinely, but we still sanitize our hands whenever we go to any restaurant. It is hard not to touch the bars on any door, I can't remember ever seeing any automatic door openers here.

The surgical masks were not worn to protect the wearer, but to prevent an infected person from infecting other people. The incubation period for the H1N1 flu is one week, so an infected person that feels perfectly healthy can infect other people unknowingly for a week. You are more at risk in a crowd when no one is wearing a mask.

While the risk is now lowered, sensible precautions should still be taken. We do try to avoid crowds now. While the original measures taken were draconian, closing bars and restaurants, etc., they seem to have been effective at controlling the spread of the disease in México.

Rex

Mexico was never really reporting accurately- I caught it here probably from my maid - here is my experience

In October My maid in Zapopan was ill for about 2 weeks coughing etc I aksed her if she or her family were ill- she said they h ad "Gripa" she did not come to work one week-

Following week I left to a visit family in Sacramento- 5 days into my trip- suddenly became very ill- within 12 hours extremely congested, exhausted, feverish,dizzy etc (incubation period of H1 is about 7days)

I had just had my yearly physical 3 days before-no problems-I had asked for Flu shots-but they had no vaccine in all of Northern California---

I called my doctor-immediately- who refused to see me- but prescribed Tamiflu and antibiotics to be taken immediately- took medication felt a little better - but suddenly became really ill- unable to walk- difficulty breathing etc-called doctor- told me I must go immediatley to Hospital Emergency room-Son in law had to leave work to drive me-as I was so ill.

]

Emergency room had signs posted - they did not want contagious people in waiting room and immediately isolated me with mask etc. and wanted to send me to another area of hospital - but I was to ill- so they kept me in emergency for the rest of the day- breathing treatments x rays.-I was on the verge of pnuemonia

Doctors there told me- they were only treating H1N1 - not seeing and cases of reglular flu- Gave me a letter stating I could not Fly- for minimum of 7-10 days AFTER all symptoms had cleared. I was really ill for 2 1/2 more weeks. My 2 week visit turned into 1 month basically confined to bed.

During this time Local Sacramento TV News was broadcasting warnings that the entire San Joaquin Valley had been declared a pandemic area- flu was rampant- in that week alone 1120 people were admitted to the hosptial for longterm treatment and 120 died that week in Calif.- Schools were having huge numbers of kids sick and kids were dying every week throughout California

When I finally came back to Mexico- Week of Thanksgiving- I upgraded to 1st Class- becasue plane was totally full- 2 women behind me - looked very ill and coughed through the entire flight!

I'm home 4 days and get the flu again- after 10 more days of misery- went to my local American doctor who prescribed what he referred to as the BOMB- new Anti Viral Meds and differnet antibiotics- sick for 6 more days- now it's Xmas Eve still sick.

Felt better after 5 days and the Flu returned again- fever, dizziness etc -It's New Years Eve =called Doctor who put me back on Anti Viral Meds and antibiotics and reiterated what Sacrmanto Emergency doctors had told me there- they were seeing many people with recurring episodes of flu- as your immune system was so low that we were suseptible to all the other flus going around. I was beginning to think I would never recover

Finally this week, beginning to feel normal- My misery started on Oct 20th -

PS Had friend who lives at lakeside who had the same illness as I and was bedridden for 6 weeks her doctor at lakeside just called it flu/pneumonia !!!

Archived