Chapala.com Webboard

Bus Travel around Mexico

Chippy

My sister is planning a solo trip around Mexico this summer and wanted to find out about the safety of bus travel around the country. She is planning to visit colonial cities (including San Miguel, GDL, Oaxaca and Merida) as well as some coastal areas (PV, etc). Besides avoiding the overnight buses, are there other issues she should consider? I think she is planning to fly to DF and start her trip from there.

Mexico has fantastic luxury buses and schedules are frequent to the major cities. Longer trips may be overnight, but with the frequency of popular runs being as often as every hour, she should have no problems in traveling when and where she wishes. All bus stations have taxi stands to whisk her off to her hotel at her new destination. It is much safer and much more comfortable than bus travel in the USA.

I'd like to visit some people in Puerto Vallarta, and figure on taking the bus from Guadalajara to P.V., and back. I've found a line called Vallarta Plus, which leaves every hour from three locations in Guad. They are a bit cheaper than ETN, but with a much better schedule. Anyone have any direct experience with Vallarta Plus?

I haven't used Vallarta Plus, but I sure have passed or been passed by many of them on the road between Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta. They are very good looking buses; clean & shiny new ones.

Guest PalapaGirl

I'd like to visit some people in Puerto Vallarta, and figure on taking the bus from Guadalajara to P.V., and back. I've found a line called Vallarta Plus, which leaves every hour from three locations in Guad. They are a bit cheaper than ETN, but with a much better schedule. Anyone have any direct experience with Vallarta Plus?

My first bus trip several years ago was with Vallarta Plus. They are very similar to ETN. My only problem was I took an advertised non-stop, overnight bus from QRO to PV. We even spoke to the agents at the desk to assure it was non-stop, express bus. They said it was. Then, 10 minutes out of QRO, we stopped at a restaurant & everyone on the bus (except me)piled out to eat. Also their movies were without headphones, so I was lulled to sleep by loud movies in Spanish.

Since then, I have used ETN several times. Their service is excellent & most bus stations even have a separate ETN waiting room, where you can eat, go to the bathroom (2-3 pesos), and even charge your cell phone. They have movies sometimes in Spanish, sometimes in English with headphones, lunch, onboard hot water for instant coffee, pillows, and even a foot rest for those of us whose legs can't reach the floor. I'd advise a sleep mask if you like to sleep during the ride, as you cannot control who may have their curtains open & where the sun may shine.

If the U.S. had bus service half as nice as Mexico, the airlines would soon lower their prices or go out of business. I think ETN should look at starting up a U.S. busline.

The only drawback is this: once my husband started taking the bus with me, he never wants to drive anymore. He always asks if we can take a bus.

Great way to see Mexico!

Archived