Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing pets into Mexico

Guest RevImmigrant

Guest RevImmigrant

I just received some information from someone who volunteers at a humane society in the Yucatan on bringing pets into Mexico. This is new. In addition to proof of your vaccinations and a health certificate, you will now need proof of a negative fecal exam, proof of deworming and proof of administration of Frontline for fleas. If you do not have this, you will not be allowed to leave the airport with your pet(s)until a local vet comes out and it will cost you $60 USD. This person thinks it's something dreamed up by SAGARPA working in conjunction with a local vet to get more money from the tourists. It is not on the printout from the Mexican Embassy in Berlin from 2008.

If any of you have brought in pets fairly recently,were you required to have this?

Fortunately, I still have time to get this done before I leave on 26 January.

I just received some information from someone who volunteers at a humane society in the Yucatan on bringing pets into Mexico. This is new. In addition to proof of your vaccinations and a health certificate, you will now need proof of a negative fecal exam, proof of deworming and proof of administration of Frontline for fleas. If you do not have this, you will not be allowed to leave the airport with your pet(s)until a local vet comes out and it will cost you $60 USD. This person thinks it's something dreamed up by SAGARPA working in conjunction with a local vet to get more money from the tourists. It is not on the printout from the Mexican Embassy in Berlin from 2008.

If any of you have brought in pets fairly recently,were you required to have this?

Fortunately, I still have time to get this done before I leave on 26 January.

You may want to read the post I wrote earlier today regarding this. I came into Guadalajara airport in October with my cat and brought a puppy in last week. BOTH times and 2 different customs officers just stared at the health certificate and then told me I needed a statement on it that said

"the animal is negative for both internal and external parasites." Each time they told me to be sure I had that on the certificate the next time I came in with a pet. I think just having that statement on the certificate would be enough. Both times they let me in with my pets and I did not have a Vet come to the airport. According to what the officer said, you don't need proof just a statement on the health cert.

Guest RevImmigrant

Thank you. My vet's already taken care of it and I can pick up the paperwork tomorrow if we're not snowed in.

Over here we have these documents called cat passports. They have a page in the front for the name and address of the owner and the name, DOB and breed of the cat. You can put your cat's picture on the front. Inside are several pages for vaccinations which the vet completes and puts the sticker from the specific vaccine beside the date administered and the vet's stamp and signature; other pages have space for this type of information; yet other pages have health certificates which the vet only needs to date, stamp and sign.

This person in the Yucatan assured me that this was necessary and that several people she knows were held at the airport for up to 3 hours waiting for the vet to arrive. She said she thinks is basically a scheme to get more money out of the gringos and other assorted tourists.

Someone I know came into Puerto Vallarta with 4 cats, then later drove down with 3 dogs and they didn't even look at the papers. They just wanted money. We know how they can be there.

We also know that this will NOT solve the problems with the animals there. Over here you don't see loose dogs roaming around; you do see a few in Poland, but not like over there. You don't see alot of stray cats either. And we don't have feline leukemia; it's virtually unknown over here and almost endemic over there. I think there is a dog tax here, but not for cats.

My next project is finding a flight from Cancun to Guad that will take all 4 cats. I'm booked on Air Berlin, my favorite airline, from Berlin to Munich with a connection to Cancun so that's no problem (I hope the weather clears up). A German friend suggested waiting until I arrive in Cancun and thinks I might have better luck there. A friend at the Lake who called me yesterday suggested looking into flying first class since they might be more willing to take all of the cats if I pay for a first class ticket. I think both of these ideas are excellent and I will follow them.

We flew down a week ago with our Chihuahua, with the usual signed check-up form from our US Vet, and no problems. In fact, this is the 3 trip down (and back) and no one has ever asked to see the forms!

Guest RevImmigrant

Milena said she paid $168 USD when she flew into Puerto Vallarta in October or November with her 4 cats. The fee was for the extra two, so I'm expecting that. It's an import duty on the excess number of pets that is charged if you bring in more than 2.

[quote name='RevImmigrant' date='10 January 2010 - 04:26 AM' timestamp='1263119210' post='157321

Over here we have these documents called cat passports. They have a page in the front for the name and address of the owner and the name, DOB and breed of the cat.

But do they have a Farm Tiger passport?

Hard to believe they would require FrontLine. My dog is allergic to it and I guess it is not all that uncommon. I guess I would need a Vet letter translated into Spanish as well. <sigh> Glad he is here.

When we returned to Mexico from a holiday in Argentina, we went to their version of SAGARPA to get our Chihuahua's travel papers. We'd already been to a vet in Buenos Aires and gotten the health certificate and were surprised to be told that we also needed proof within the last 30 days of treatment for parasites (both internal and external). We showed them our record where we keep up with her monthly drops of Revolution but they said it had to be much more detailed.

They showed us something supposedly issued from the Government in Mexico that required any animals arriving into Mexico to show proof of these treatments within 30 days of the flight. They required: name of medication, lot number, expiration dates, date and time it was adminstered to the dog, etc. It was ridiculous!

We had to go find another vet. and pay him to give the dog a pill for internal parasites and to put drops on her back for any external parasites. Luckily we hadn't put her monthly drops on yet for December because otherwise, they would have insisted she have a double dose!

When we arrived in GDL, the official with SAGARPA did look for all of that information so something has changed and they are being much more circumspect. Of course, they searched everyone on the flight as well. Seems that all flights that either originate in or fly through Panama have the pleasure of being greeted by the Mexican Army. There is no red light/green light Customs game. Everyone is searched, some frisked and all items are opened in each person's luggage. They told us they are looking for cash and drugs.

In my opinion, it was a total waste of time....

Happy Travels,

Valerie :017:

Guest RevImmigrant

The farm tiger qualifies for a regular cat passport since tigers of all sub-species are cats. There is no special one for farm tigers. Except for being so big (almost 9 kg, 20 lbs), he looks like a regular cat; he just acts like a farm tiger and even bit his mommy this morning when he decided to be temperamental as I was petting him.

They're obviously getting more particular about animals entering the country. The vet will give me the boxes for the Frontline and the wormer so I will have that when I enter. Since everything in the EU has at least 2-3 languages, the cat passports are in German, English and French. I don't see how they can legitimately require documents in Spanish for someone coming from a non-Spanish speaking country. The customs people usually speak English and, as far as reading goes, some of the French aned Italian is close enough to the Spanish for someone who can read Spanish to read it. Note that I said, some, not all, of course.

But as I said before, this still will not even begin to solve all of the problems they have with animals there.

I also had another thought about getting a flight with all 4 cats if nothing else works. If I buy one ticket for me and one ticket for Max L. (the farm tiger), then each of us can take 2 cats and he's guaranteed NOT to be a no-show. He can take his little girlfriend, HM Queen Sonja the other one and I can take Minke and Schneeball. Of course, he will have to ride in the cargo hold since no one will want to sit by him, particularly not me. He sings and he's not very good either. Oh, the lengths we go for our babies!

Has anyone driven their pets down lately? Are they requiring this for "drive ins" too?

Kip

The farm tiger qualifies for a regular cat passport since tigers of all sub-species are cats. There is no special one for farm tigers. Except for being so big (almost 9 kg, 20 lbs), he looks like a regular cat; he just acts like a farm tiger and even bit his mommy this morning when he decided to be temperamental as I was petting him.

They're obviously getting more particular about animals entering the country. The vet will give me the boxes for the Frontline and the wormer so I will have that when I enter. Since everything in the EU has at least 2-3 languages, the cat passports are in German, English and French. I don't see how they can legitimately require documents in Spanish for someone coming from a non-Spanish speaking country. The customs people usually speak English and, as far as reading goes, some of the French aned Italian is close enough to the Spanish for someone who can read Spanish to read it. Note that I said, some, not all, of course.

But as I said before, this still will not even begin to solve all of the problems they have with animals there.

I also had another thought about getting a flight with all 4 cats if nothing else works. If I buy one ticket for me and one ticket for Max L. (the farm tiger), then each of us can take 2 cats and he's guaranteed NOT to be a no-show. He can take his little girlfriend, HM Queen Sonja the other one and I can take Minke and Schneeball. Of course, he will have to ride in the cargo hold since no one will want to sit by him, particularly not me. He sings and he's not very good either. Oh, the lengths we go for our babies!

Guest RevImmigrant

Apparently they are requiring it for entry by air or land, but Milena said when she drove down with her 3 dogs, they didn't even look at the paperwork, just wanted money. It sounds like they are pickier at the airport and particularly at the airports at Cancun and Cozumel.

Anyone driven across at Laredo lately? Usually they don't even look at my three little girls (long haired Chihuahuas). I'd hate to get all the way down and then have to piddle around getting extra stuff done.

Kip

Apparently they are requiring it for entry by air or land, but Milena said when she drove down with her 3 dogs, they didn't even look at the paperwork, just wanted money. It sounds like they are pickier at the airport and particularly at the airports at Cancun and Cozumel.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest RevImmigrant

I finally arrived. I had to stay in Cancun 2 1/2 days extra because Aduana insisted on confiscating 2 of my 4 cats temporarily and required that I get a customs broker to do the paperwork to pay the $1,620 pesos import duty. I had all the right paperwork from the vet so the SAGARPA inspection was no problem; Aduana was the problem.

We're all glad we're here and now we're looking for a house (I'm looking, the cats are staying in the room).

welcome back, rev. have enjoyed your postings from europe. the weather here seems to have improved for you this week....

I finally arrived. I had to stay in Cancun 2 1/2 days extra because Aduana insisted on confiscating 2 of my 4 cats temporarily and required that I get a customs broker to do the paperwork to pay the $1,620 pesos import duty. I had all the right paperwork from the vet so the SAGARPA inspection was no problem; Aduana was the problem.

We're all glad we're here and now we're looking for a house (I'm looking, the cats are staying in the room).

Guest shelley

There was an article in the Guad reporter last month - about someone that had extreme problems with more than 2 pets. I can't access the article - but if you search on google - chapala pet nightmare - and are a subscriber - maybe you could copy pertinent parts of the article -

• 2 weeks later...

There was an article in the Guad reporter last month - about someone that had extreme problems with more than 2 pets. I can't access the article - but if you search on google - chapala pet nightmare - and are a subscriber - maybe you could copy pertinent parts of the article -

Are you allowed 2 pets per person or 2 pets per family?

We've got three cats and one of my wife's biggest concerns is getting the cats moved down.

She's nervous about having them go cargo and would prefer in-cabin, but with 3 I don't think that is going to happen.

My biggest concern is getting held up in customs and having my wife go crazy if there's any delay.

Having a vet or customs broker there upon our arrival would be a small price to pay as opposed to having my wife go crazy.

Suggestions????

It's two per person so documentation needs to show 2 and 1.

We bought 2 cats and 2 dogs from the uk ALL in my name the customs agent pointed out the problem and told us not to do it again, but the customs agents have changed in the last year and seem not to be as helpful.

No problems bring then as checked baggage 36 hours and they were in better condition than we were, they had been walked at some stage.

Needed lots of research to find right airline prices varied 1:10 we used Luftfansa but probable not an option for you.

Give yourself lots of time to checkin we had 3 sets of documentation before they got then right.

Guest RevImmigrant

Manecoon, another thing you need to be warned about is that now when you check in with pets, they will take you to the place where they check in spcial baggage, i.e. oversize, animals, etc, and you will be required to take the cats out of the cages so they can inspect the empty cages to insure there is nothing in there except cats and their bedding. Also be sure you have the paperwork properly done for SAGARPA with the negative fecal exam, deworming and administration of Frontline documented as well as the rabies and whatever else you need for shots for your country of origin. I can understand your wife's anxiety about the cats - they're important to us and are part of the family.

Ibbocat, I was on Air Berlin from Berlin to Cancun with a stopover and change planes in Munich (lots of snow, ice on the runway, -19C in Berlin when I left. They took excellent care of the cats. I had flown with them before with the cats and knew they were good with them.

They only charged me for 2 cats since I had 2 cages with 2 cats in each cage. I was on Mexicana from Cancun to Guad via Mexico City and they also took good care of the cats. When I checked in, they put a tag on the cages, "Priority Passenger," and again only charged for 2 cats.

We just flew in on Aero Mexico from TJ with a dog. Had everything imaginable from rabies to whatever. No one looked at a thing. The best part was that we simply had him in a doggie crate that they charged us a whopping $45 to check. He was the first thing off when we landed. Superb service. (in the US they'll charge as much as $150)

Archived