Chapala.com Webboard

Oaxaca

Bisbee Gal

I've done the routine research, tripadvisor, Karen Brown, etc., but it always helps to hear a firsthand recent account.

Anyone been to Oaxaca recently and stayed in a B&B or small inn (under 15 rooms)??

We were there last winter about this time for several weeks. I would suggest booking a couple of nights at Las Mariposas and then checking out other places in person. Tourism has stayed down there ever since the teacher uprising, and we have good friends who were just there in November who pre=booked everything only to find they could have done far better and gotten rooms below standard rates just by asking.

Get the Moon handbook for Oaxaca when you're down there (there is a great English bookstore). This web site is also invaluble:

Real Oaxaca

Get someone to send you to Maria Bonita restaurant just north of the tourist zone but still in centro and an easy walk from the zocalo. Fabulous moles at half the prices of the tourist joints on the square, and many neat inns and local restaurants in that area, which is by the weekly organic market in Los Arcos. The planeta.com web site linked from the Real Oaxaca one is also helpful. PM me if you want more recommendations. We love the place and want to try living there for a year some time.

I had two recommendations but it looks like one has closed. <sigh>

Spend a few nights at Posada de Chencho. The owner speaks English and knows EVERYTHING about Oaxaca. Posada de Chencho 115 4a Privada de la Noria, comfortable simple and rustic with the most amazing breakfasts you can imagine. Ask for tipico and then sit back and enjoy.

We were there last winter about this time for several weeks. I would suggest booking a couple of nights at Las Mariposas and then checking out other places in person. Tourism has stayed down there ever since the teacher uprising, and we have good friends who were just there in November who pre=booked everything only to find they could have done far better and gotten rooms below standard rates just by asking.

Get the Moon handbook for Oaxaca when you're down there (there is a great English bookstore). This web site is also invaluble:

Real Oaxaca

Get someone to send you to Maria Bonita restaurant just north of the tourist zone but still in centro and an easy walk from the zocalo. Fabulous moles at half the prices of the tourist joints on the square, and many neat inns and local restaurants in that area, which is by the weekly organic market in Los Arcos. The planeta.com web site linked from the Real Oaxaca one is also helpful. PM me if you want more recommendations. We love the place and want to try living there for a year some time.

Uh, Kevin, that link to Oaxaca seems to have been hacked. I got a black screen with typical Goth type, a photo of a guy in a black hoody, and some creepy other stuff. I didn't have it open long enough to read it. Just hope it didn't leave any fingerprints on my machine.

Nancy (in Salida)

Hi Nancy,

I've been on that site a bunch of times with no problems. They were having server problems when I tried it just now but that's not unusual in Mexico. Sorry you had problems; very established site and people.

Archived