Chapala.com Webboard

Chinese in Jocotopec

G598738

How about posting what you like. We don't need more comments trashing local businesses. Keep in mind that in addition to being very detrimental to many peoples lively hood it is wrong and libelous to do so.

We live in one of the most beautiful areas of the world yet some don't seem happy. My feeling is if you can't be happy here, you probably won't be happy anywhere.

Happy New Year and the rest of the year as well.

TioBob

Guest RevImmigrant

Tio Bob, it is not trashing local restaurants nor is it libelous to state your experiences about a restaurant, i.e. "I went to the Mama's Home Cooking restaurant in wherever and had the fried chicken. It was almost burned on the outside and almost raw next to the bone. The mashed potatoes were soupy and clearly were made with potato flakes. My spouse had the country fried steak, which was so tough she could hardly chew it. The gravy looked and tasted like the glue we used to make in elementary school from flour and water. The ice cream we had for dessert was good; it was Bluebell."

Actually, I did have fried chicken that fit that description about 5 years ago at Popeye's Fried Chicken in the food court on base in Mannheim. It cost almost $5 USD for 2 pieces of chicken and a biscuit so it was overpriced too. My friend said I should have sent it back. I never ate at another Popeye's either since this was not my first experience with bad food at one.

Now, is that trashing Popeye's? Or is it libel?

When you enter Jocotepec and come to the first traffic light keep going west for another block and a half and it is on you left. Paper Chinese globs hanging outside.

Can't find the conversation about the restaurant. Can anyone tell me the name and address ? Thanks.

Guest Gringal

One of the purposes of this board is to share information, positive or negative, as a form of helping our neighbors find good things and avoid bad. Although our tastes in food may vary wildly, we all know bad food when it's served to us. Why not call it like it is when the steak is tough, the fish smells old, or the soup tastes like salted water? It is not our responsibility to keep everyone in business who thinks he/she can run a restaurant.

On the other hand, let's not confuse our simple preferences with "good" or "bad". There's a big difference, and we needn't trash a place and hurt business by saying food is bad when it just isn't to our taste.

BTW, I want to know if the Chinese restaurant uses MSG liberally....so that, if it does, I can avoid going there and getting a bellyache afterwards.

My friend who is super sensitize to MSG says they musn't use it.

One of the purposes of this board is to share information, positive or negative, as a form of helping our neighbors find good things and avoid bad. Although our tastes in food may vary wildly, we all know bad food when it's served to us. Why not call it like it is when the steak is tough, the fish smells old, or the soup tastes like salted water? It is not our responsibility to keep everyone in business who thinks he/she can run a restaurant.

On the other hand, let's not confuse our simple preferences with "good" or "bad". There's a big difference, and we needn't trash a place and hurt business by saying food is bad when it just isn't to our taste.

BTW, I want to know if the Chinese restaurant uses MSG liberally....so that, if it does, I can avoid going there and getting a bellyache afterwards.

Had lunch there today. Apps were crispy spring roll and pot stickers. As good as any in the States.

Three entres: Shrimp Diablo, Garlic Shrimp and Chow Mein. All very good. Typical in that there was

plenty of food with some taken home. Tea and fortune cookies.

With four cokes the tab was 320P. We would eat there again. 3 out of 5 stars.

Hostess (owner ?) was very nice.

How about posting what you like. We don't need more comments trashing local businesses. Keep in mind that in addition to being very detrimental to many peoples lively hood it is wrong and libelous to do so.

We live in one of the most beautiful areas of the world yet some don't seem happy. My feeling is if you can't be happy here, you probably won't be happy anywhere.

Happy New Year and the rest of the year as well.

TioBob

Uncle Bob, we do live in a beautiful area with a wonderful climate, but that does not mean that all local restaurants are good or could not be better. I am always interested in what everyone here has to say about these places and if all the comments were good, very good or excellent, what would be the point.

To be sure, there are many comments that I take with a liberal dose of salt, but if all were positive, I would never have tried the new pizza place in Ajijic, assuming that it could not be as good as the pizza in the yellow house.

But because some of the posters had made modest critical comments about other places, a friend and I gave it a try and were very impressed. My point is that critical comments gave credence to positive reviews.

While negative comments may (possibly) be contrary to Mexican libel laws, that does not mean that (other than from a very legalistic perspective) that they are wrong.

The China Inn hostess is an owner along with her husband. For those who care (and who wish to try an occasional Japanese item) she is ethnically Japanese and he is a Mexican who worked in Chinese and Japanese places in the States.

I like their food and return once in a while, but it is nothing special.

I’ve never felt that they overused MSG.

We also like the Joco Chinese restaurant. The food is fresh and tasty. I remember a thread awhile back where folks fussed because it wasn't as good as the best Chinese restaurant in their home city NOB. So no it isn't as good as Spice China or Empress in Denver but it is darn good.

I think the food there is quite good. We especially like the egg rolls and the fried shrimp appetizers and the Orange Chicken and Kung Pao Chicken as the main meals. However, we have gone from regular customers to occasional ones. Our complaint is that the ratio of meat to vegetables used to be around 50/50. The last few times we have gone, it was more like 70/30 and, one time, more like 80/20 with the higher number being the vegetables.

It's too bad to hear about the meat/vegetable ratio, as I like the China Inn a lot. I'll try it again soon and see if I notice a difference; about a month ago I got a few dishes, and things like Beef/Broccoli had a good amount of beef.

Their photo-menu shows a large variety of sushi, which I haven't tried yet. If it's "authentic", that might be nice, especially when so many sushi places in Mexico are of the "Mexicanized" variety. Anybody tried the sushi at China Inn?

Their photo-menu shows a large variety of sushi, which I haven't tried yet. If it's "authentic", that might be nice, especially when so many sushi places in Mexico are of the "Mexicanized" variety. Anybody tried the sushi at China Inn?

Their sushi is okay. I like the soft shell crab roll.

For SUSHI go to RICKI'S Thai & Japanese on Marcellos Castellanos. ALL of Ricki's food is excellent and without any grease. One of the most reasonably priced restaurants in Ajijic with great portion sizes. 10 of us ate there last night with our Monthly Dinner group. Great food and fast service. Why drive to Joco.

Our Bi Monthly Dinner group highly recommends RICKI'S

China Inn will never compete in food quality or quantity with Ricki's. Yes, I have eaten at China Inn.

Three of our Monthly Dinner group ordered Sushi on Friday night and loved it. So, I guess everyone's taste is different and since ALL of Ricki's food is delicious, I suggest that your taste is waaay off.

Guest Gringal

Good comment about "taste": yours, mine and your Auntie Gladys'.

To review your experience of a restaurant by saying it was "good" or "awful" isn't very helpful to the rest of us. Tell us, specifically, why you found it "good" (meat was tender, moist, and done as ordered; veggies fresh and cooked al dente) or why it was awful: (flavorless, mushy, burnt or served cold/lukewarm). Let's put a little imagination into the put downs or praises...be more fun to read. :P

Archived