Chapala.com Webboard

Jalisco Driving Guide

moderator-2

Courtesy of Intercasa (Spencer), I am starting and pinning this thread on Jalisco driving law and practice, and effective approaches to discouraging mordida shakedowns.

Here is the link to Spencer's very detailed discussion of this matter, including forms you can print for yourselves. He is updating this so check in periodically for any changes.

Jalisco Driving Laws

I'll update it soon. Please note the minimum wage is rising in 2010 so that will affect fines. The Guadalajara Metropolitan area (Guadalajara, Zapopan, Tlaquepaque, Tonalá, El Salto and Tlajomulco de Zúñiga) will be zone B at 55.84 pesos and all other areas Zone C at 54.47 pesos. Our zone is close enough to my last year's rounded amount of 54 so I won't change until I make other changes. I'll always list at the bottom of the guide the revision date. The next major revision I hope to do soon and include the national driving laws that the Federales enforce. I'll stick it at the end so you can just print those pages.

Please remember that the driving guide is for the Chapala area. Other cities and states have their own driving rules and modifications of the State rules (if within Jalisco). Other states may seize your driver license until you pay the fine and other cities as well who have modified the state code in their municipal driving code (Vallarta for example). Also on the highways the Federales can take your license and their fines are higher. Other differences in the other areas / states / federales are that there are no or limited discounts for paying early, some areas don't give discounts for paying early on certain offenses and others don't give discounts for a 2nd or 3rd offense.

Drive safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Revision #2 is out, Puerto Vallarta Driving laws and I've put the Federal Laws enforced by the Federal Police but haven't had time to translate it yet but for those of you with a grasp of Spanish you'll be able to see the offenses and fines.

Jalisco Driving Laws

Ok, finished Federal driving laws and fines, all translated. I'll soon put a state by state list of the traffic codes and if they can take your documents.

• 2 months later...

The state law changed this year, I don't have time for an official update but here are the changes:

Article 164 adds section XXII which deals with motorcycle drivers who don't drive in their lane.

Article 166 BIS - Added this year adds a fine of 200 to 400 days minimum wage for invading public transportation lanes. I had alluded to this in my guide but now it is official so watch out and don't get anywhere near the Macrobus lane.

Article 168 BIS - Added and deals with DUI, 30 day minimum wage fine (up from 10) and those refusing a breath test will be sent to the ministerio publico and they will do a blood draw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Revision #2 is out, Puerto Vallarta Driving laws and I've put the Federal Laws enforced by the Federal Police but haven't had time to translate it yet but for those of you with a grasp of Spanish you'll be able to see the offenses and fines.

Jalisco Driving Laws

Spencer,

Do you have any idea when the section of the Federal laws will be in English?

Mil gracias.

Actually they are done if you check.

I also incorporated the above changes and uploaded it so now the link has the June 8, 2010 changes.

• 2 months later...

New DUI laws take effect September 6, 2010. The police and transitos in Guadalajara have 35 (soon to be 100) Breathalyzers and are ready to use them at checkpoints. They have toughened the DUI laws, parts per mililiter of blood permissible and raised fines.

Supposedly driving drunk is not a reason to be pulled over, only if you commit an infraction. Refusal to take the breath test is also an offense. Fines will be from 9,000 to 11,000 pesos.

Checkpoints in Guadalajara are usually on Hidalgo, R. Michel, Vallarta and other major streets but with 100 breath units they can and will be anywhere and weekends from 12am or so to 4am.

Article 159 IV a) They can impound your car if you have more than .6 grams per liter of alcohol in your system.

• 4 months later...

Actually they are done if you check.

I also incorporated the above changes and uploaded it so now the link has the June 8, 2010 changes.

Is this what I should study before taking my written mexican driver's license test or is there something else out there? I currently have a US license which will be expiring in a few months. Assuming I pass the written test in Riberas, does anyone know if they'll issue the mexican license there or if I'll have to go into Guad to get it? And one last question, if I don't pass, can I take the written test again? Thanks.

This guide is to help you in normal driving and to avoid problems and being bullied into paying a bribe. For the driving test you just study the questions and answers.

This guide is to help you in normal driving and to avoid problems and being bullied into paying a bribe. For the driving test you just study the questions and answers.

OK - thanks - do you know where I can get a copy (in english) of the questions and answers?

OK - thanks - do you know where I can get a copy (in english) of the questions and answers?

I have .pdf's of English and Spanish Jalisco driver's test questions. If you PM your e-mail address to me I will send them to you.

• 2 months later...

I'll update it soon. Please note the minimum wage is rising in 2010 so that will affect fines. The Guadalajara Metropolitan area (Guadalajara, Zapopan, Tlaquepaque, Tonalá, El Salto and Tlajomulco de Zúñiga) will be zone B at 55.84 pesos and all other areas Zone C at 54.47 pesos. Our zone is close enough to my last year's rounded amount of 54 so I won't change until I make other changes. I'll always list at the bottom of the guide the revision date. The next major revision I hope to do soon and include the national driving laws that the Federales enforce. I'll stick it at the end so you can just print those pages.

Please remember that the driving guide is for the Chapala area. Other cities and states have their own driving rules and modifications of the State rules (if within Jalisco). Other states may seize your driver license until you pay the fine and other cities as well who have modified the state code in their municipal driving code (Vallarta for example). Also on the highways the Federales can take your license and their fines are higher. Other differences in the other areas / states / federales are that there are no or limited discounts for paying early, some areas don't give discounts for paying early on certain offenses and others don't give discounts for a 2nd or 3rd offense.

Drive safe.

Just an observation: I have found it far more persuasive to have with me the entire code of traffic laws for whatever state I am traveling through (they are not all the same). If there is English, the polic disregard it. All of the traffic laws are available in each state's website. While Spencers rulebook is mega-helpful (English and Spanish) it is not persuasive to ruarl policemen. If you have the rules of the road of whatever state, it really stops the police in their tracks.

I only did the Jalisco laws which apply to most posters here. A new thing that may apply are the new photo radar traps for speeders. They are placing them on many roads and if you speed you'll be mailed a fine. Now I like to speed BUT they have made the speed limit ridiculously low on some roads that are wide and 3 to 4 lanes each way almost to encourage speeders. They have installed them on Patria, Lopez Mateos, Lazaro Cardenas, Periferico, Revolucion and maybe a road or two I don't recall. The aforementioned units are fixed and they will have roving or mobile units, about 5 if i recall correctly.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

2012 Revisions done and ready to download, many changes for bikers, people with kids, speeders and others.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Supposedly with transito changing its name to movilidad there will be some changes soon, once that happens I will amend accordingly.

• 7 months later...

We had a rash of Transitos demanding quite high mordidas in Melaque lately. I posted your Traffic document on our local forum, Spencer. People are asking about an update, as there are apparently new laws (no GPS on dashboard, etc.). Any chance you would have time to do that? We keep a copy of this doc in our glovebox. Gracias!

Archived