Chapala.com Webboard

What happened to Gerard's?

Orygun Duck

We just arrived back from NOB and were sorry to see that Gerard's (on the same property as Joya del Lago hotel) has apparently closed. The restaurant seemed to be doing well in its new location this summer. Does anyone know what happened?

We just arrived back from NOB and were sorry to see that Gerard's (on the same property as Joya del Lago hotel) has apparently closed. The restaurant seemed to be doing well in its new location this summer. Does anyone know what happened?

He has moved to his own place called "Pepe's". It in the area across from the old Lakeside Mall.

Actually, Gerard opened his place in the Raquest Club and "Gerard's" was operated by Pepe who has since moved his business to the Careterra where the former Chihuahua Steak House was. Pepe's has the former Gerard's menu. All is well.

Gerard opened a wonderful restaurant, La Vita Bella,in his home in the Racquet Club. Enter the Racquet Club past the guard house to Rafael Osuna, where you will turn right. The restaurant is on your right before you get to the Monte Coxala Restaurant, and is not visible from the street. You drive to the back of the property (about a block back, past several little buildings) and his house is there. Park under the trees on his front yard and walk through the house and kitchen to the outside back. There you are overlooking the beautiful Lake Chapala and mountains. View is great. A bit rustico, but lovely. If you will call Gerard the day before--333-476-6577 and tell him what you want, he will shop for the freshest ingredients the next day and prepare it for you upon your arrival. My friend wanted a steak and baked potato with everything and I wanted a grilled fresh fish with a salad. It was incredibly delicious. He also specializes in pizzas which I think they will deliver. You do not have to call the day before to eat there, but it does insure you will get exactly what you want. When you call, ask him if he has put a sign out yet, as when we went we had a little trouble finding the place. The prices were very reasonable.

I am totally confused as to who is Pepe and who is Gerard. We are not old timers here and the distinction is lost on us (although presumably not on Pepe and Gerard's families respectively). Who operated the old restaurant next to Sr. Sushi on the carretera in West Ajijic before moving to the Joya del Lago site? (I checked Wikipedia and it was of little help in this instance.)

I am totally confused as to who is Pepe and who is Gerard. We are not old timers here and the distinction is lost on us (although presumably not on Pepe and Gerard's families respectively). Who operated the old restaurant next to Sr. Sushi on the carretera in West Ajijic before moving to the Joya del Lago site? (I checked Wikipedia and it was of little help in this instance.)

That was Gerard. Pepe was his principal waiter. Then Gerard moved from the carretara to the Joyo del Lago site. Then Gerard left there, and Pepe took over. When Gerard left, he moved to his present site in the Raquet Club. A couple of months ago, Pepe moved to the present location on the carretara just West and across the carretara from the old Lakeside Mall site which is now once again an Eventos Center. That is a short distance West of the old location of Gerards restaurant (which was called Piccolo most of the time it was located there). This sounds a little like, "Who's on first".

Gerard opened a wonderful restaurant, La Vita Bella,in his home in the Racquet Club.

Has anyone been to La Vita Bella recently?? We drove out with friends a little over 3 weeks ago; they were doing renovations and said they would be open in a few days. Our friends drove by there about 2 weeks ago...not open.

I've called the cell number several times over the past 3 or 4 weeks...including three times yesterday. No answer. The cell number is the only number given in his ads.

He has ads in all the current papers saying he is open 7 days a week from noon through late dinner.

Since we live in the village, it's a waste of gas and time to drive over just to see if he's open.

Can anyone confirm that he is open at this time?

I will go over (I live up the hill from it) later today and report back tonight. He turns his phone off or runs out of money on it. I've given up phoning to order a pizza and just drive over.

Has anyone been to La Vita Bella recently?? We drove out with friends a little over 3 weeks ago; they were doing renovations and said they would be open in a few days. Our friends drove by there about 2 weeks ago...not open.

I've called the cell number several times over the past 3 or 4 weeks...including three times yesterday. No answer. The cell number is the only number given in his ads.

He has ads in all the current papers saying he is open 7 days a week from noon through late dinner.

Since we live in the village, it's a waste of gas and time to drive over just to see if he's open.

Can anyone confirm that he is open at this time?

Will wonders never cease!

I gave his cell a call just now....Gerard answered!! And says he is open; we will check it out for lunch and report back.

Cedros...thanks for the offer; we really wanted to go today ourselves...perhaps we will see you there!

Four of us made it to Gerard's today. One had the beef fillet in a mushroom sauce; one had fish fillet in a Hawaiian sauce; one had fried calamari and one had shrimp in bleu cheese sauce (sounds weird, but was terrific). One person had a wonderful cranberry and nut pie for dessert (and was kind enough to share with the rest of us). All of the dishes were fabulous.

This is not a place to go if you are on a tight schedule. It is more a lounge around, talk and knosh place. We were not presented with menus...it was a give and take with the chef on what he could prepare for us, and what we wanted to eat. Each of the proteins could have been served with a variety of sauces, depending on what the diner wanted. Gerard is indeed his father's son....Giovanni always offered his entress a la gusto (how you like it). Gerard's sauces are exceptional.

The full lake view is magnificent and the pace of service is low-key, but not slow, once you get a sense of the meal. It's more like having a private chef cook for you in a delightful garden. Some may be put off by the lack of a menu, but trust this chef...he knows how to cook.

The house white wine was excellent at a reasonable 30 pesos per glass; the calamari 95 pesos (he said it was an appetizer but it was more than enough for lunch) and the shrimp dish was 135 pesos. There was fresh baked bread and some freebie salad-type offerings before the meal, served with balsamic, olive oil and honey.

We will definitely return.

Actually, Gerard opened his place in the Raquest Club and "Gerard's" was operated by Pepe who has since moved his business to the Careterra where the former Chihuahua Steak House was. Pepe's has the former Gerard's menu. All is well.

I am not sure that all is well and cannot figure it out. With Pepes move to his own place quality of food seems to have fallen and I have no explanation. Does anyone else have thoughts on this. Pepe works his heart out and derserves to be a success, but his food, even though the same menu is not as good as it was when he was at Gerard's IMO. Terry

Archived