Chapala.com Webboard

Jose's Illusion

terry

Anybody have a clue? Clearly the answer is that we no longer patronized it. Why did we not patronize it? Great food. Great service. Reasonable prices. Good location. Decent ambieance? After so many years of success, why did he close? His lamb, his pastitsio, his moussaka, man I am drooling as I write this. Any thoughts? Better yet, any knowledge?

Terry

Anybody have a clue? Clearly the answer is that we no longer patronized it. Why did we not patronize it? Great food. Great service. Reasonable prices. Good location. Decent ambieance? After so many years of success, why did he close? His lamb, his pastitsio, his moussaka, man I am drooling as I write this. Any thoughts? Better yet, any knowledge?

Terry

Terry, José closed because the owner of the building that housed the restaurant raised the rent to the point that it was impossible to keep the restaurant functioning.

This is not the first time that owner has done this. The last restaurant in that space, a steak house, closed for exactly the same reason. José was smart, though: when he opened José's Illusion, he signed a long-term lease at a fair rent. When the lease was up, the landlord killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

I agree: when I think about José's marvelous food (you left out the salmon with pistachios and garlic mashed potatoes, one of my top favorites), I drool, too. *sigh*

We'll miss José and his fine food, but agree that the owner of the building is continuing his old pattern of raising the rent and driving out the restaurants that have been there; over and over again.

However, José does need a break and some family time. He has worked very hard for quite a while. If he can find the right place, maybe he will be back. We hope so!

we couldn't live without the pistascio salmon one last time so we went and spoke with jose while we were there. his son is being married and he's taking some time off. hope he finds a venue that showcases his talents. his food was great and very consistant in quality. we'll be looking forward to his next venture.

Although the owner of the building has chased out all of his tenants with higher rents when leases were up, including Jose's Illusion, Jose's Illusion also lost patronage over the past couple of years. The restaurant was rarely busy and frequently had either no patrons or one or two. Why? I don't know, but with so many resturants around people tend to latch on to a few and forget about old favorites.

Guest Gringal

Although the owner of the building has chased out all of his tenants with higher rents when leases were up, including Jose's Illusion, Jose's Illusion also lost patronage over the past couple of years. The restaurant was rarely busy and frequently had either no patrons or one or two. Why? I don't know, but with so many resturants around people tend to latch on to a few and forget about old favorites.

On a positive note: If Jose wants to open another restaurant in the future...there are always plenty of vacancies, thanks to the "here today, gone tomorrow" local pattern for eateries.

Sorry to see him go. Loved his salmon.

Archived