Chapala.com Webboard

Lakeside July and August Weather?

macmember

We will be in Mexico for July and August. Would some of you "fulltimers" tell me what the weather is like then (temp/humidity/rain)?

Also, what other area of Mexico would be as cool or cooler in this timeframe?

We might not want to spend our whole 2 months in one spot.

Thanks

To me those are the best 2 months of the year. The rain starts in June and in July & August that is when the rain is in full swing but mostly it rains at night and the air is so clean and it is no longer dusty.

This time of the year is unbearable on the coast.

Agree with Julie... best time of year, lush and green. Similarly anywhere in central Mexico including San Miguel (www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com), Queretaro (about safest city and state in Mexico), Cuenavaca and so many more.

Your mileage may vary. I live full-time in Manzanillo without air conditioning therefore I disagree with Hensley about it being unbearable on the coast

Many people like Lakeside which I find unbearable.

So different strokes for different folks.

But to answer your original question, if you are looking for places as cool or cooler than Lakeside in July and August don't come to Manzanillo.

We have lived here full time for over 8 years.

We too believe that June, July, August, September and October are the best months here. We love July and August with it's sometimes torrential rains at night.

There is more humidity, approx 60 - 65% in July and August while evaporation of the rain occurs in the AM.

If you can stan 80 - 90% humidity, you can visit PV and the Coastal areas between April and October. And you DO need air conditioning, but most people won't spend $ 700 - $ 1,000 a month to be comfortable.

We have visited in PV in the first week of April and the humidity is unbearable. I have visited at Thanksgiving time and it's humid, but bearable. It is currently 78% humidity in PV.

July and August, like the other posters say is the rainy season its nice enough. But I get so used to the dry and sunshiny months that the rains are an annoyance and a cloudy day is ugly. Yes the hills green up, yes the dust settles. But I like the heat and sun. My favorite months are April and May and the first part of June before the rains come. No humidity and hot, heaven.

The rains no longer seem to keep to the schedule of evening showers.

We too have been to the coast mid-summer and in September. The humidity is beyond beyond and so thick even getting in a pool doesn't help.

Guest PalapaGirl

Patzcuaro is lovely in August - you'll need a jacket or a sweatshirt and long pants. August and September in PV, Nuevo, Bucerias - forget about it - too hot, too humid, unbearable!

Favourite months (after 8 years here full-time) are July, August and September. Rains mostly at night, but if it rains during the day, no big deal............it's warm............Last summer was different, but we didn't have much rain.

The hills are green, the flowers are wonderful, the traffic is less............and there are fewer tourists!!! We love our summers here. April is okay, May and June are hot, but not humid, so very tolerable.

We do not get the humidity they get at the coast, and we cannot tolerate it for more than a few days...........so this is why we are happy in the Chapala/Ajijic area.

Whatever works..............everyone likes something different!

I agree with others that July-October may be the best season, and not only for the weather. Much as I like my friends from Canada and the northern US who visit part-time in the winter, sometimes it feels like there are a bit too many of them. I've already started seeing "reservado" signs on tables at the Jardin Restaurant on the Ajijic Plaza. Parking is getting very dicey, and the Carretera is full of cars much longer during the day. During the summer, we get a certain amount of Texas and Arizona "sunbirds" fleeing the 100+ (F) temps, but not like the tidal wave of snowbirds during the winter. April and May are indeed hot and dry, but anyone from Southern California, or from the southwest US for that matter, would consider it normal, comfortable weather. In the July-Oct. period, the wonderful feeling of cool moist air in the morning, and balmy evenings makes the summer months the best in Lake Chapala. As for the warm and slightly sticky summer mid-day temps, that's why Mexico invented the siesta.

As to cooler locations, try Guanajuato, San Miguel Allende, Patzcuaro, Zacatecas, Queretaro, or Uruapan, all within 1/2 day drive from Lake Chapala, and all at higher elevations.

Archived