Chapala.com Webboard

Guadalajara Sewage Treatment

Ajijic

Reading this past week's Guadalajara Reporter and was shocked to see that Guadalajara only treats 3% of its' sewage!!!!!!!! Holy crap. I wonder what is the percentage for lakeside?

Guest RiberasMitch

Reading this past week's Guadalajara Reporter and was shocked to see that Guadalajara only treats 3% of its' sewage!!!!!!!! Holy crap. I wonder what is the percentage for lakeside?

Excellent question. I wouldn't want to swim in the lake. Apparently a shallow acquifer is under us - shallow means that what seeps through is insufficient to filter many impurities. Would love to find someone that knows something about the acquifer - septic seepage - toxic runoff etc as I would guess very little sewage gets treated - same with fertilizer runoff. Plus chapala fish would probably show high concentrations of prozac and other chemicals- as some of what goes in the toilet seeps into Lake Chapala would be my guess. And I would guess this applies to farmed fish too - same water. Population growth won't help - and the building in El Chante is going to have a very very negative impact on the Lake toxicity - as my understanding is their sewage treatment plans will cover only a small percentage of generated sewage.

Excellent question. I wouldn't want to swim in the lake. Apparently a shallow acquifer is under us - shallow means that what seeps through is insufficient to filter many impurities. Would love to find someone that knows something about the acquifer - septic seepage - toxic runoff etc as I would guess very little sewage gets treated - same with fertilizer runoff. Plus chapala fish would probably show high concentrations of prozac and other chemicals- as some of what goes in the toilet seeps into Lake Chapala would be my guess. And I would guess this applies to farmed fish too - same water. Population growth won't help - and the building in El Chante is going to have a very very negative impact on the Lake toxicity - as my understanding is their sewage treatment plans will cover only a small percentage of generated sewage.

The person you will want to hear speak about this is Todd Strong- he will be at Open Circle on

Sunday, Dec13th at LCS and his talk is " Update on Environmental Issues". He will be addressing the El Chante issue too.

maw

What does Guad treating only 3% of their sewage have anything to do with Lakeside? The waterfront homes along the Lake dump sewage into Lake Chapala as the septic systems are old and are probably nothing but absorption wells. If they are on town sewer, can you imagine the condition of the pipes and underground leakage.

When have you ever seen them working on sewer pipes at Lakeside? How about never?

What does Guad treating only 3% of their sewage have anything to do with Lakeside? The waterfront homes along the Lake dump sewage into Lake Chapala as the septic systems are old and are probably nothing but absorption wells. If they are on town sewer, can you imagine the condition of the pipes and underground leakage.

When have you ever seen them working on sewer pipes at Lakeside? How about never?

This was not posted in the Ajijic/Chapala forum but in the Mexico General forum. I think the topic is perfectly appropriate for Mexico General.

Archived