Chapala.com Webboard

New Kindle eBook Reader Works In Mexico

shmiller

The newest Kindle eBook reader now works in Mexico via the Mexico cell network, for free. It means that if you have the new international wireless version of the Kindle, you'll be able to buy books via the Kindle, in Mexico, and download them instantly directly to the Kindle reader. Check the Amazon International Kindle site for details specific to Mexico or other countries.

kindle.jpg

It is an exciting development. But, just a small correction...it is not entirely free. If you have the International Kindle it will cost an additional $1.99 to download a book directly or to retrieve a book from your archive if you are not in the US.

Those of us who have the US Kindle can continue to purchase and download to our computers for free and subsequently upload to our Kindles as long as we use a US credit card to purchase the content or have a workaround for that using gift certificates. I have sent an email to Amazon asking if a US credit card will be required for the International Kindle (suspect not) and will report when I get an answer.

Yes, it seems that there is a $2usd added fee to purchases made with the Kindle while outside the borders of the USA. In Mexico this fee probably goes to Slim for allowing the Kindle to use his 3G network.

Being a total bumble at dealing with electronic stuff, I have a question about downloading ebooks from other sources than Amazon (for their Kindle), such as B&N. Can one download from that source (B&N) and then upload to the Kindle? I find that they have a better selection in some instances.

Thank you

Richard

When I read e books from Adobe on my laptop, I had trouble finding the place I left off, when I switched from one book to another.

Is this a problem with Kindle?

I've not had that problem and I have the first-generation Kindle. It automatically opens to the last page of the book read, the books menu uses a bar of sorts to indicate how far into the book you are (I sometimes forget what I've read, or finished, etc.) and you can also bookmark and/or add notes if you had reason to edit your reading or confirm your last page read. Love my Kindle but think that the improvements of the 2nd gen are all great, especially the redesigned placement of the page forward and page back buttons.

Only books that are made available in electronic form and available through Amazon.com are available on the Kindle. Note, only electronic books. There are many books on Amazon.com that are not in electronic form and therefore not downloadable to the Kindle.

No eBook reader can access all books. The whole concept of eBooks and readers remains limited, especially because each reader is only able to access its version of an electronic book.

I think this reason alone is why eBooks and readers have NOT become mainstream. And there are still problems with the technology. Despite all the hoopla about how great the screen is on the Kindle, it is only black and white and some reviewers find the screen uninviting with a dull, greenish cast.

Despite all this, you can still probably have a hundred of your favorite books on the Kindle to take along on that next long flight to Christchurch, New Zealand.

Only books that are made available in electronic form and available through Amazon.com are available on the Kindle. Note, only electronic books. There are many books on Amazon.com that are not in electronic form and therefore not downloadable to the Kindle.

No eBook reader can access all books. The whole concept of eBooks and readers remains limited, especially because each reader is only able to access its version of an electronic book.

I think this reason alone is why eBooks and readers have NOT become mainstream. And there are still problems with the technology. Despite all the hoopla about how great the screen is on the Kindle, it is only black and white and some reviewers find the screen uninviting with a dull, greenish cast.

Despite all this, you can still probably have a hundred of your favorite books on the Kindle to take along on that next long flight to Christchurch, New Zealand.

What Steve has said was mostly true 6 months ago, but things have changed a lot. Sony, is moving away from their own format to e-pub that is gaining acceptance as a universal format.

The Kindle sales are escalating rapidly. To quote Jeff Bezos, Amazon's boss, "Sales of electronic titles are narrowing the gap with traditional books, said Bezos, 45. For every 100 printed copies of a title sold, Amazon.com sells 48 Kindle books -- assuming the book is available in both versions. That’s up from a rate of 35 digital books five months ago, he said.". There are over 350,000 Kindle titles currently.

With the advent of free programs like Calibre, you can rapidly and easily change the format of almost any DRM free e-book to one that your reader will accept. If your e-book is DRMed, there are scripts available to remove the DRM. In the US there is a debate about the legality of using these scripts, but most seem to think that the "fair use" allows the end user to strip the DRM so as to change the format of the e-book. Kind of like ripping a CD and making your own "best of" recording. I don't know anything of the legal issue.

Finally there are bookstores and publishers that do sell non DRMed e-books that are perfectly compatible with the Kindle, Sony, etc. with no modifications. Baen Books comes to mind, especially if you like Scifi. There are others. If you are not sure, email the store and ask.

If you want more info., more than you could possibly want or need, go to Mobileread.com and check out the forums. There are also a TON of free e-books available there as well, all of which are perfectly legit.

Tim

Yes, it seems that there is a $2usd added fee to purchases made with the Kindle while outside the borders of the USA. In Mexico this fee probably goes to Slim for allowing the Kindle to use his 3G network.

Does this mean $1.99 per day for downloading a newspaper like the NYT or $1.99 a month, which is the length of a subscription.

Also, I recall reading on this board last year that people were downloading books from Amazon to their laptops and then transferring them to their Kindles. Did I understand correctly? If so how do you do this? (This would seem to get around the need to buy the Kindle international version, which is $20 more than the US version.

Does this mean $1.99 per day for downloading a newspaper like the NYT or $1.99 a month, which is the length of a subscription.

Also, I recall reading on this board last year that people were downloading books from Amazon to their laptops and then transferring them to their Kindles. Did I understand correctly? If so how do you do this? (This would seem to get around the need to buy the Kindle international version, which is $20 more than the US version.

I just found the answer on the Kindle FAQ page. It appears you can download books to your computer and then transfer them to your Kindle. If you have a internet connection, there seems little reason to pay extra foo the international edition or the download fee.

Barnes & Noble plans to launch two eBook readers soon, one black and white, the other, color.

Gizmodo article

amazon-kind-vs-plastic-logic.jpg

Little Kindle vs. what the touch screen, B&N, black and white reader may look like.

4002604367_fa61f7b9d3_o.jpg

Kind of exciting. I'm waiting for this size, in color. It runs on the At&T network.

Guest RiberasMitch

To purchase the US version, you need it shipped to a US address. When you purchase a book/newspaper subscription, you have the option of downloading it to your computer or directly to your kindle (your choice as to where you save it - if you save it on your computer, you just then move or copy it to an attached kindle. It doesn't matter where you physically are - the US or Mexico at this point. I just purchased a book for my kindle, and from start - adding it to my cart - and finish - adding it to my kindle probably took 90 seconds.

So yes - using the US version will save you money. As for the subscription, I would guess that might be a monthly or one time add on - the NY times is about $14 a month - so they would lose a lot of subscribers if they tacked on a daily surcharge of $1.99. Will Amazon ultimately change it's policies for downloads on the US version outside of the US? I wouldn't be surprised to see that some time in the future - as my understanding is that the sale of Kindle books isn't adding too much profit at current prices. On the other hand, competition is increasing so who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

I just called amazon/kindle and the rep gave me two options for avoiding the fee, which is assessed ONLY if one downloads content outside of the country of registry. So, you can avoid fees by, as noted elsewhere, downloading content to your computer then transferring it to your Kindle or registering your Kindle as Mexico-based. For those of us who either travel rarely outside of Mexico with our Kindle or plan to rarely download outside Mexico, there'd be no fee while here. If we travel and download, you'd get the fee. But, that is vastly different than being assessed a fee for each download while we're in Mexico. So, a US-registered International Kindle is assessed when content is downloaded outside US; a Mexico-registered International Kindle will be charged only when downloading outside Mexico. In both examples, fees are avoided by downloading to your computer then transferring to your Kindle.

Little Kindle vs. what the touch screen, B&N, black and white reader may look like.

Although it's a long way from the unit shown in this picture, the Barnes and Noble "nook" appears a much better bargain than the Kindle. Replaceable battery, ability to add memory, more available books (including 1,000s of freebies via Google), color photo and mp3 capability - all for the same price as Amazon's unit. AND you can actually touch and operate the nook at your nearest Barnes and Noble come November 30. I'm afraid "Kindle" is soon to be Kindling if they don't respond with an updated model very quickly!

Guest RiberasMitch

You can have access to all newspapers for $4.99 per week.

Where? I checked the Amazon site and didn't see anything there for $4.99 - and it appears Barnes and Nobles does not offer Newspapers. Should I be looking elsewhere? I pay about $14 for the monthly NY Times on Amazon - so $6 more to get a bunch sounds interesting.

Where? I checked the Amazon site and didn't see anything there for $4.99 - and it appears Barnes and Nobles does not offer Newspapers. Should I be looking elsewhere? I pay about $14 for the monthly NY Times on Amazon - so $6 more to get a bunch sounds interesting.

Maybe I'm missing something, but unless you don't have a computer or an internet connection there doesn't seem to be any reason other than mobility to pay for electronic versions of newspapers. Eventually, we may be paying for all content, but for now (except for the WSJ) free daily newspapers are a real bargain - in any event $16 is way too much (IMHO) for the NYT.

Guest RiberasMitch

Maybe I'm missing something, but unless you don't have a computer or an internet connection there doesn't seem to be any reason other than mobility to pay for electronic versions of newspapers. Eventually, we may be paying for all content, but for now (except for the WSJ) free daily newspapers are a real bargain - in any event $16 is way too much (IMHO) for the NYT.

Mobility - just as I would read the NY Times during TV commercials when I got the physical paper - I read the NY Times on the kindle. $14 a month compared to Superlakes price of 42 ? pesos for daily and 80 plus for Sunday make the $14 a month a bargin for me. I really have no desire to have my laptop on my lap - or read my laptop in bed. My reading habbits haven't changed with the Kindle - I still prefer paper but don't mind the kindle for most reading material - I have just switched from paper to the kindle as needed - and still read watching TV and in bed - and a very recent acquired- habit - reading when the power is out at night (the mighty bright light is an optional accessory)

I think it's exciting that out here in the middle of Mexico, we will soon have a color, full size ebook reader. This one, a touchscreen from Fujitsu is on the market in Japan but too pricey for those with dollars. Fujitsu color Ebook Reader.

fujitsu_elepia.jpg

I just read that all the rest of the major players have prototype color ebook readers running.

Guest RiberasMitch

I think it's exciting that out here in the middle of Mexico, we will soon have a color, full size ebook reader. This one, a touchscreen from Fujitsu is on the market in Japan but too pricey for those with dollars. Fujitsu color Ebook Reader.

Cool! Made me realize that in a few years my current kindle will feel outdated as a Model T ford. Maybe tho it will have antique value!

Something about the picture above bothers me. The screen size of the Fujitsu FLEPia is 4.87 x 6.46 inches, according to shmiller's link. Just how large (or should I say, small) is the model holding the FLEP?? Optical illusion?? Did I miss something?

Fujitsu's 8" diagonal screen seems like a good compromise between Kindle's 6" and Kindle DX's 9.7" diagonal screens, and color would be nice option. If a person were buying one of these strictly for reading books, color might not be a needed expense. It IS nice to have options, though.

The FLEPia comes in two sizes, A4 (480 grams) and A5 (320 grams) and both are just 12mm thick. With today's weak dollar the small one is about 1000usd but I'm sure in a few months it will drop dramatically.

flepia-l.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news regarding the Barnes and Noble NOOK. As of now, according to B&N website, you cannot download ebooks either with your NOOK or via computer while you are outside the U.S. Kindle offers this feature (free, if you're a US customer downloading via computer.)

Archived