Chapala.com Webboard

which world currency wil dominate in the future

LOS AXIXIS

There wont be a single dominant currency but probably more than two.

Not just the Euro, and not just the China/Russia coin.

Well its not going to be the pound sterling regretably! The Russians are investing heavily in Europe and the UK so not sure about the Rouble, Potentially the two biggest economies and therefore dominant currencies will be the Chinese CNY and the Indian Rupee

Anyone who can answer this should be awarded some major international award since even the smartest economists are unsure.

One thing for sure is the U.S. dollar is losing a lot of steam, and due to the dismal fiscal policies of late, will continue to fall IMO. You can´t print your way out of a "recession". The idea that you can is pure Keynsian folly, and for this reason Keynsian economic theory has been largely discredited. It´s time to return to the Austrian school of conservative monetary policy.

Euro and Pound are also not good bets.

Silver looks very very good to me.

Well its not going to be the pound sterling regretably! The Russians are investing heavily in Europe and the UK so not sure about the Rouble, Potentially the two biggest economies and therefore dominant currencies will be the Chinese CNY and the Indian Rupee

So what is your future 1 month/year?..to days spot rate , usd/pesos 13.33peso..ukpounds/pesos 21.90....give me pounds today, this month/year

The US dollar will always be it's own currency.

Gold is doing very well and will continue to do so.

Yup might be only in the U.S. of A. Lots of talk in Asia about abandoning the dollar over there.

Street vendors won´t accept U.S. 100 dollar bills, and not because they are thinking counterfeit either.

Gold should do very well.

Silver better.

When "gold is doing very well," the dollar isn't. I'm old enough to remember Gold at $20 USD per troy ounce. Now, it takes 25 times as many dollars to buy the same amount of gold. Oil, grains, minerals and other 'standard commodities' haven't really gone up all that much; the dollar has lost purchasing power.

Basically, a man's fine suite of clothes has always been worth an ounce of gold. That same ounce could usually get you across any international border, too.

The dollar is an artificial standard of value, which has no intrinsic value since both the silver standard and gold standard have been abolished. As our nation loses the trust of others, and our productive capacity fails to compete, the dollar becomes less and less attractive as a 'world currency'.

There was talk about a year ago by OPEC of pricing oil in something other than US dollars, probably the Euro. But then the European community followed us into recession and OPEC abandoned any move to abandon the US dollar. If OPEC prices oil in the future in another currency, that currency will likely become dominant, for awhile at least.

When "gold is doing very well," the dollar isn't. I'm old enough to remember Gold at $20 USD per troy ounce. Now, it takes 25 times as many dollars to buy the same amount of gold. Oil, grains, minerals and other 'standard commodities' haven't really gone up all that much; the dollar has lost purchasing power.

Basically, a man's fine suite of clothes has always been worth an ounce of gold. That same ounce could usually get you across any international border, too.

The dollar is an artificial standard of value, which has no intrinsic value since both the silver standard and gold standard have been abolished. As our nation loses the trust of others, and our productive capacity fails to compete, the dollar becomes less and less attractive as a 'world currency'.

Whom do you think is sitting the most Gold in reserve? The US dollar will be used in our life time. For the ones that thinks that the USA are dummies wait until the oil supply drops in other countries and see who will come up with all the reserves. And wait and see who will have gold to back the US dollar. Believe me the US knows what they are doing hording all that gold.

Whom do you think is sitting the most Gold in reserve? The US dollar will be used in our life time. For the ones that thinks that the USA are dummies wait until the oil supply drops in other countries and see who will come up with all the reserves. And wait and see who will have gold to back the US dollar. Believe me the US knows what they are doing hording all that gold.

Huh? Nobody has audited Fort Knox since the 50´s. Why do you think that at least 4 countries have asked for their gold holdings in the U.S. to be returned to them. Why do you think that many banks and brokerage houses are eliminating gold etfs? Because, there isn´t enough gold to cover the them or the Comex contracts or any other gold related paper assets, and somebody, maybe a lot of somebodys know that.

Barrick just bought back their derivative hedge contracts,? Why, because they bet the wrong way, and it cost them bigtime.

Why would you trust the people who caused this mess to deal with it? They´ve really done a GREAT job with the bailouts.

Why do you think that the Chinese laughed at Tim Geithner. Confidence? I think not.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Gold backs the US dollar. Gold is the standard of the world.

Gold stocks are 17% higher than in Jan. 1, 2009 as of today and climbing!!!

Do any of you think that having Gold is NOT better than stocks or mutual funds?

Show me a stock or mutual fund that has outperformed Gold since Jan. 1. There aren't any.

Show me a stock or mutual fund that has outperformed Gold since Jan. 1. There aren't any.

Right and wrong.

The only currency backed by gold, and that is only a 20% backing, is the swiss franc. U.S. dollar is a fiat currency, backed by nada, zip.

Some gold stocks are 17% higher, Barrick just took a hit due to derivatives.

I´m, a gold bug myself, however silver is historically at a very low ratio to gold, so has much higher to rise. JMHO, not advice.

There might be some hedge funds but i think your mostly right there

Further reference check out Bretton Woods.

Guest RiberasMitch

????????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_dollar

John, hilight is mine, don't plan on being a successful investment advisor anytime soon. Yes gold has done well but Canadian Bank Stocks far better....some up over 50%, also Canadian energy shares have generally also done better than your 17%. As always, do your homework, then invest your money.

Sorry for the hijack....back to the original topic....as has already been expressed only those with a crystal ball have the answer, but personnally I wouldn't expect the USD to be in the hunt.

Regards

Further information provided here.

http://www.thetrumpet.com/?q=6546.5025.0.0

Archived