Chapala.com Webboard

Woodstock

Trailrunner

DH and his then girlfriend got tickets and headed up from DC. Their car broke down near Wilmington DE. They turned around and went back to DC.

Within a year they went on a backpack trip that traversed from the Arctic to the Antarctic. [book in progress] The planning was well underway in August '69, and Bill says missing Woodstock because they didn't hitch a ride was a real wake up call, telling them their heads weren't yet screwed on straight.

Forty years ago today I camped in the mud for the weekend in Bethel, New York. Anyone else there then?

Mexican Trailrunner

I was in the U.S. Air Farce on a whole 'nother continent

doing stuff I strongly disagreed with but had to do anyway. :(

I saw the movie at the Base Theater tho. :)

Split a house in Sauggretees (sp ) which was 1/2 way between Woodstock and Bethel with a friend ....every morning , after a big breakfast , I tuned up my head and motorcycle and drove as far into the concert as I could and chained the bike to a tree ......when I had enough of the MUD AND RAIN ......I went home ..hot shower......and we would take the Jag( 58 coup ) into town where they were helicoptering the acts in .........Santana with guys from other bands jamming at "The Purple Elephant"

think that was the summer I lost my hearing......more if you want it

Split a house in Sauggretees (sp ) which was 1/2 way between Woodstock and Bethel with a friend ....every morning , after a big breakfast , I tuned up my head and motorcycle and drove as far into the concert as I could and chained the bike to a tree ......when I had enough of the MUD AND RAIN ......I went home ..hot shower......and we would take the Jag( 58 coup ) into town where they were helicoptering the acts in .........Santana with guys from other bands jamming at "The Purple Elephant"

think that was the summer I lost my hearing......more if you want it

Hey Gravy. Any relation to Wavy Gravy? He was there too, as you might remember.

Didn't see Wavy Gravy at Woodstock but ran into him at Columbia University during the riots.......walked up , introduced myself, and called him a fraud....that I was given the name at birth and had to fight all my life ( the boy named Sue)whereas he had just given himself the name..he then laughed and we chatted for a moment...but there WAS a riot going on.....years later , I saw him at a "function" and he was still true to his flower child credo running food kitchens

"Wavy Gravy" came from a newspaper cartoon strip...."scram , gravy ain't wavy" and "Notary sejac"....first one to name it , I'll buy a beer

Forty years ago today I camped in the mud for the weekend in Bethel, New York. Anyone else there then?

Mexican Trailrunner

Forty years ago I lived in Big Sur, Calif. didn't make it to Woodstock, but made a lot of "Love In's" in San Francisco. In 1967 was at the Monterey Pop festival. Lived across the canyon form Joan Baez, and Eathan Crosby (David's brother). David used to come up from LA and hang out with the neighbors in the canyon. Still think that Big Sur, Maui, and the Highlands of Chiapas are bits of Paradise!

Didn't see Wavy Gravy at Woodstock but ran into him at Columbia University during the riots.......walked up , introduced myself, and called him a fraud....that I was given the name at birth and had to fight all my life ( the boy named Sue)whereas he had just given himself the name..he then laughed and we chatted for a moment...but there WAS a riot going on.....years later , I saw him at a "function" and he was still true to his flower child credo running food kitchens

"Wavy Gravy" came from a newspaper cartoon strip...."scram , gravy ain't wavy" and "Notary sejac"....first one to name it , I'll buy a beer

Here goes for the BEER! "Notary sejac" from the cartoon: "Smokey Stover" by Bill Holman. ???

Mexican Trailrunner

Well...I wasn't in Bethel for the festival, but I did live in Woodstock--for four years, 1972-76. Does that count?

And by the way, it's Saugerties, New York. Saugerties is between Kingston and Woodstock.

• 2 weeks later...

just found out the tread was moved , not deleted.......cool...E=MC2 wins the beer ...any time in Axixic ...ya look like the father on "California Choppers"...any relationship ?

Gravy, Take you up on that Beer! No relation, except we ride the same make bike, BTW are you thinking "Orange County Choppers"? If so I think I have a few years on him. lol

Gravy, Take you up on that Beer! No relation, except we ride the same make bike, BTW are you thinking "Orange County Choppers"? If so I think I have a few years on him. lol

Orange county , dat's the one ......you're better looking...I rode what Don Pedro rides....Beezers..........and Trumpets . AJS ( all junk and scrap), Matchless, a Duck and ,OK,a couple of Hogs.....send me a message w/ your e-mail address and we can set up a ( well can't stop at one) beer

Archived