Chapala.com Webboard

Puerto Peñasco

jrod

An El Paso-based friend is thinking of returning to Puerto Peñasco in a few weeks for some R&R but is concerned about all the negative news. She takes most of the bad press with a grain of salt, but wanted me to check if anyone on this board has recent, personal experience to balance the media. Any help from this board? Thanks!

An El Paso-based friend is thinking of returning to Puerto Peñasco in a few weeks for some R&R but is concerned about all the negative news. She takes most of the bad press with a grain of salt, but wanted me to check if anyone on this board has recent, personal experience to balance the media. Any help from this board? Thanks!

What kind of negative news is coming out of Peñasco? I read the Mexican papers (3 or 4 of them) every day and haven't seen anything.

What kind of negative news is coming out of Peñasco? I read the Mexican papers (3 or 4 of them) every day and haven't seen anything.

Not specifically PP, but the area in general, from ELP. They usually drive, taking the customary precautions logical people take on a road trip in Mexico. However, the US media, living in ELP, cause them to raise the question of safety, this year, for this trip. ELP and Juarez, as you know, have had significant issues of late.

Not specifically PP, but the area in general, from ELP. They usually drive, taking the customary precautions logical people take on a road trip in Mexico. However, the US media, living in ELP, cause them to raise the question of safety, this year, for this trip. ELP and Juarez, as you know, have had significant issues of late.

They might want to look at Kino Bay or San Carlos as an alternative.

El Paso/Juarez is a long way from Lukeville/Sonoita, which is the crossing point for Puerto Peñasco. Perhaps they should check one of the Rocky Point web boards like:

http://rockypointtalk.net/

• 2 weeks later...

We were planning to stay there for a few days in April when returning NOB from Ajijic.

After the first night we were out of there---it had a border town feel and we did not feel safe . Would never go back. I would also recommend San Carlos it's still in the so called "hassle free" zone... you do not need to have car permit just your tourist visa.

Cheers

:)

The only recent dangers there have been for realtors who cannot afford to feed themselves. Many large projects of condos are not selling and what was once thriving became a ghost town. Things are rumored to be picking up slightly, told to me by two developers I met with 2 weeks ago who have an office where we used to in Plaza Fremont.

Archived