Chapala.com Webboard

Some of you don't know how good we Lakesiders have it

Mainecoons

We've been on extended travel in the U.S. and that included a fair amount of dining out. Boy what an eye opener!

It was darn difficult to get out of one of these over-priced, under quality bistros up here for less than $60 to over a $100 for two if one wanted something other than a hamburger and ice tea. God help you if you order a glass of cheap (what they spent, not what they charge you) wine with a meal.

The last insult was a restaurant that started my meal of ahi tuna by bringing it out literally raw and cold and when asked to cook it a bit more, cooked it to death. A couple glasses of wine, a so-so entre for the wife and my ruined tuna came to $90.

Most of these places didn't understand the concept of proper service either, and didn't seem to give a damn. We ate in supposedly good to excellent restaurants in CA, OR, WA, CO and NM and with only ONE exception, the meal and experience was lousy value for the money.

Folks, eating out Lakeside is a screaming bargain and the restaurants there really try to please even if they don't always succeed. Count your blessings and, while being frank and factual in your reviews, have a little charity and appreciation for what we have.

We leave for Lakeside in the morning and can't wait to get home.

We've been on extended travel in the U.S. and that included a fair amount of dining out. Boy what an eye opener!

It was darn difficult to get out of one of these over-priced, under quality bistros up here for less than $60 to over a $100 for two if one wanted something other than a hamburger and ice tea. God help you if you order a glass of cheap (what they spent, not what they charge you) wine with a meal.

The last insult was a restaurant that started my meal of ahi tuna by bringing it out literally raw and cold and when asked to cook it a bit more, cooked it to death. A couple glasses of wine, a so-so entre for the wife and my ruined tuna came to $90.

Most of these places didn't understand the concept of proper service either, and didn't seem to give a damn. We ate in supposedly good to excellent restaurants in CA, OR, WA, CO and NM and with only ONE exception, the meal and experience was lousy value for the money.

Folks, eating out Lakeside is a screaming bargain and the restaurants there really try to please even if they don't always succeed. Count your blessings and, while being frank and factual in your reviews, have a little charity and appreciation for what we have.

We leave for Lakeside in the morning and can't wait to get home.

Finally - a sensible take on eating out in this area. MC is right, we have it good here - let's enjoy it while we can. Life is short, eat dessert first.

Folks, eating out Lakeside is a screaming bargain....

Well, I would agree that eating out anywhere in Mexico is a screaming bargain but, since we try to never visit the United States and haven´t eaten at a restaurant there in years except the dreadful fare at O´Hare Airport on a recent trip to Europe, we accept MC´s assessment of the restaurant experience in some western states he visited. It pleases us to no end, upon reading this, that we chose to spend our time out of Mexico in France where the food in both restaurants and homes of friends and relatives was generally fantastic and far beyond just about anything served up at Lakeside (with a couple of exceptions on rare occasion). Besides the usual and superb French fare, we were fortunate to dine on fabulous fresh shellfish on the Atlantic coast, real sushi prepared by true Japanese chefs, fine Arab style food (Algerian, Moroccan & Tunisian) from North Africa and great Vietnamese pho among other tasty treats. While the food in France both in restaurants and grocery/meat/fish markets was quite expensive - incredibly expensive actually- we returned to Lakeside having thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Thanks, MC, for reminding us of one of the reasons we avoid the states like the plague. And I would agree that the restaurant fare at Lakeside is way mo bettah than the fare in most towns of comparable size in the U.S. outback.

I should note one thing before closing.It is a typical presentation of ahi tuna in most really fine restaurants for that tuna to be seared on the outside and cool and raw on the inside. This is the new way of cooking tuna and shows an Asian influence. We fervently wish some chef in Ajijic knew this wonderful way of preparing tuna and if someone knows a chef that does understand this and serve ahi tuna served that way, please let us know where we can find this wonderful dish.

Although I'm not a true fish eater, except for shellfish, Tabarka restaurant and it's owner deserve more business and high praise. He is Spanish and cooks fish Spanish style and very, very moist. I had Tapas there along with his Shellfish Paella on two occasions. All was perfect.

Hound Dog, comparing anyplace to France is not playing fair. I recall on our last trip there I managed to gain a pound a day despite walking all the time. One of the most amazing experiences was getting off the train in a small town on the way to Zurich and wandering to a small hotel, there to feast for hours on the most incredible food and two bottles of an exceedingly good "house" wine, then wandering (stumbling) back in time to catch the next train coming through at midnight.

We still talk about that experience years later.

Lucky you for being able to go there periodically, and then return home to pay your dues, so to speak.

Hound Dog, comparing anyplace to France is not playing fair. I recall on our last trip there I managed to gain a pound a day despite walking all the time.

Lucky you for being able to go there periodically, and then return home to pay your dues, so to speak.

Yes, MC, my good luck to marry a Frog. Dawg wasn´t gonna be marryin´no Southern Belle and be eatin´ cheese grits and possum for the next 40 years. We also put on major weight in France over a month in May and June and are now paying the price but it was worth it.

Hey! Stop it! Restaurant owners might read this and start raising their prices again. Those of us who have been here for many years are finding their present prices a bit high and we're not able to eat out as much any more. Our 'old' pensions and SS aren't keeping up.

RV GRINGO - True, restaurant prices have gone up a couple of times this year at some restaurants, so we have had to cut back on the number of times we eat out. It seems that Mexicans don't understand business, if their business is already down, they raise prices to make up for it. Then they do less volume and lose more.

Guest RevImmigrant

When I eat here in the local area, I usually go to a restaurant I like in Gubin, PL just across the Neisse (the border was established at the Oder-Neisse Line in 1945, which moved the German-Polish border over about 100 miles - the eastern Polish border was also moved 100 miles) and pay about about $14-18 USD, sometimes less, depending on what I have. The prices are in Polish Zloty, although they accept Euros gladly. The food in Poland is excellent and, for the most part, is less expensive than it is here. I get Zlotys out of the ATM machine at the Tesco grocery store in Gubin so I pay in ZL.

For the higher amount I get a very large Schnitzel with potatoes and sauce and tea. The coffee in Poland is often not very good since the Poles have more of a tradition of tea drinking than coffee drinking. There's so much food I don't want dessert afterwards. I can also get excellent roast pork with potatoes for somewhat less. For the lower amount I get a traditional East Prussian/Polish dish, Gulasch (very thick, with potatoes and some vegetables) in a round loaf of white bread which is hollowed out and then the top of the loaf is placed back on when it's served. It's a meal in itself, although it's on the appetizers section of the menu, which is in both Polish and German.

I spend more in Berlin and usually go to a Chinese or other Asian restaurant. Friday I had lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant and ordered one of the luncheon specials, beef strips with vegetables in black pepper sauce, served with hot and sour soup and rice, and cost 6.50 Euros (about $9 USD). Tomorrow I will have lunch in Berlin with my friend at an Egyptian restaurant which will be more expensive.

Based on Mainecoons' posting, the food in the US is expensive, almost more expensive than it is here. I haven't been there in 3 years and was only there 2-3 days, but I remember that the food was expensive in Galveston, TX.

I was in Bergen for Christmas. While I don't remember exactly how much I paid for any given meal, Norway is expensive and I remember that the meals were more expensive than I would pay here for a similar meal. However, the food in Norway is excellent.

We find that we sometimes can get reasonably priced restaurant fare in TX but as for the west we traveled, WA, OR, CA, ID, CO, NM, forget it.

The universal thing in the U.S. is to gouge on drinks. We like to have a beer or glass of wine with dinner and got mighty sick of paying $5-6 for same.

Some of the local restaurants seem to be headed in that direction, but without our business.

We're planning on going to Boston MA next year, but since we are from that area, we'll eat in restaurants that we know. We will NOT get gouged on anything. We have a favorite restaurant called Nino's Steak & Chop house. He serves large plates of good quality food for $ 10 - $ 18. USD including 4 or 5 different steaks. There is a line out the door every night of the week and he hasn't raised prices in 4 years.

Another favorite is Beijing House, the "best" Chinese food we've ever eaten anywhere. Combo plates at lunch time are still $ 6.50 - $ 7.50.

If we're travelling in a strange city, we never know where to go and usually get mediocre food.

We're planning on going to Boston MA next year, but since we are from that area, we'll eat in restaurants that we know. We will NOT get gouged on anything. We have a favorite restaurant .............If we're travelling in a strange city, we never know where to go and usually get mediocre food.

That is exactly right .There are many many good local restaurants which serve good food for a fair price anywhere. And from your experience you probably know where to go.

But when you travel you mostly visit tourist traps. Which usually means lousy expensive food.

Cheers

Archived