Chapala.com Webboard

Ejercicio de Español - "Mi Familia Es"

Chapala_or_Bust

Escribo algunas oraciones en Español. Correcciones por favor.

Mi familia es en todos partes.

Mi padre es de Nuevo York Ciudad. Mi padre está muerto.

Mi madre es de Key West, Florida

Yo tengo un hermana de Key West, Florida y un hermano de Nuevo York. Yo también soy de Nuevo York.

Tenemos una hermana de Miami, Florida.

Mi primero hijo es de Miami, Florida. Pero ahora él vive en Langendorf, Alemania. Él es matrimonio. Mi nuera es nombre Carmen. Tenemos tres nietos.

Mi segundo hijo es de Minneapolis, Minnesota. Él es psicólogo de la escuela. Ahora vive en Vancouver, Washington.

Mi esposa es de Houston, Texas.

Mi esposa es muy bella. Mi esposa es sorda. Ella es simpática, sensitiva, y inteligente.

Salud,

Memo

Escribo algunas oraciones (I'm writing a few phrases in Spanish. Escribo unas frases en Espanol. I generally associate oraciones as prayers.) en Español. Correcciones por favor.

I will attempt to make some corrections. Anyone else may certainly jump in as I might be wrong for the first time im my life. I'll start with what it is I think you want to say in English.

Mi familia es en todos partes. (Mi family is all over the place. Los miembros de me familia viven en todos partes del mundo.)

Mi padre es de Nuevo (Nueva York) York Ciudad. Mi padre está muerto.

Mi madre es de Key West, Florida (You may also say something like my father/mother were born in....... Mi padre se nacio en Nueva York y mi mama de Key West, La Florida.)

Yo tengo un hermana de Key West, Florida y un hermano de Nuevo York. Yo también soy de Nuevo (Nueva)York.

Mi primero hijo es de Miami, Florida. Pero ahora él vive en Langendorf, Alemania. Él es matrimonio (married/ casado). Mi nuera es nombre (Mi nuera se llama Carmen.)Carmen. Tenemos tres nietos.

Mi segundo hijo es de Minneapolis, Minnesota. Él es psicólogo de la escuela. Ahora vive en Vancouver, Washington.

Mi esposa es muy bella. Mi esposa es sorda. Ella es simpática, sensitiva, y inteligente.

Salud,

Memo [COLO

R=blue]

I tried to use the color feature so that my words were blue but that obviously didn't pan out.

Also I forgot to change: Mi padre es de Nuevo York Ciudad. Should be: Mi padre es de la ciudad de Nueva York.

Chandler,

Muchas gracias para su correctiones.

(I am not sure how to use "por" or "para". I think both of them mean "for" but have different usages.)

Escribo unas frases en Español. (I write some phrases in Spanish). I like that because "frases" and "phrases" seem to be cognates. Easier to remember.

I see that "algunas" seems to be translated more as "a few" than "some". Are there "a few" more examples of the distinction between "algunas" and "unas"?

Los miembros de me familia viven en todos partes del mundo. (The members of my family live in all parts of the world.) My question is the proper spelling "me" or "mi".

Your translation of my original sentence, seems to make sense. "My family is all over the place. I wrote in Spanish, "Mi familia es en todos partes." I assume it would be understood but there is a need to include the "lives" concept to make it clearer.

Él es casado. So I would say, Yo es casado. Esta correcto? Y, usted es casado? Y, If I know you well, Tu es casado?

Escribo, "Mi nuera es nombre Carmen. Usted excribe "Mi nuera se llama Carmen." So this is the difference between "the name of someone or something" and "He/she/is is called or named" It is a similiar difference in English. So I assume I could write, "Su nombre es Carmen". Her name is Carmen. But I'm not sure the use of "Su" Is it used for all possessives like your, his/hers or is there a difference between second person, "your" and third person, his/her/its? I'm not sure about that.

Muchas gracias para su correctiones. I need to take a course. I am trying to get into a course for fall semester at my University.

Salud,

Memo

P.S. Are you Norteamerican o Mexicano? Su nombre es norteamericano. ¿Cómo usted aprendió español?

Memo,

Looking in one of my dictionaries I note that "por" gets quite abit of space allocated to it. In other words there are many distinctive uses for the word but I generally use it in situations that involve "numerical issues", or "by" something, place, person, etc.

Over there = Por alla.

Over here = Por aca. As examples

Escribo unas frases en Español. May be translated as: I write some phrases in Spanish, or I'm writing some Spanish phrases.

There is quite a bit of flexability in the Spanish language and one should be avised against being "literal". If you care to be a student of the language I would avise one to relax a bit and try to get atuned to the rythum of the language, associated body and facial expressions (if you have the luxury of having the speaker in front of you). The novice student will usually do translations from Spanish to English and do it slowly. By the time that has occurred the speaker is way down the road and the listener is lost. If at all possible try to listen to "chunks" of words with their intonations, body language etc. as a system of clues that guide one to the overall meaning. All native speakers of any language hear chunks of data, they do not absorb each word individually!

Naturally there has to be a foundation of vocabulary and an ability to conjugate verb forms. To wit:

"Él es casado. So I would say, Yo es casado. Esta correcto? Y, usted es casado? Y, If I know you well, Tu es casado?"

The above are correct with the exception of the first person (I) which should be:

Yo soy casado (a- depending on gender). As a speaker of the language the first person form is very important and so one should clearly know those verb forms; but every verb form is important so all must be studied. A good reference book (and there are many) might be The Big Red Book of Spanish Verbs containing some 555 completely conjugated verbs in Spanish with associated notes. If you had those verbs in your head one would have a very good foundation indeed. Of course those are verbs only. Nouns, adverbs, conjunctions, etc, etc. all come into play to express onself and to understand.

I have been, and remain to this day, a student of Spanish. I like the language, it has served me well for many years - over 50 of my 59. Yo soy puro gringo but my wife says my alter ego is that of a Mexican - perhaps.

""Mi nuera se llama Carmen." Some Spanish forms are unfamiliar in English; they just are what they are and to try to figure them out is a waste of time. The sentence literally reads is English: My daughter-in-law calls herself Carmen. My name is Chandler: Me llamo Chandler. Believe me when I say that I haven't given a thought in well over fourty years about how to make that phrase in Spanish - it just happens. And if you can put enough of those together, the ones you don't think about but simply say automatically, you are flirting with a degree of fluency.

"Muchas gracias para su correctiones. I need to take a course. I am trying to get into a course for fall semester at my University." Well Memo (a Spanish/Mexican nickname of Guillermo) that is how it's done. Get a foundation of grammer, basic verb conjugation and as many other words that are of interest to you and then build on it one day at a time. And expose yourself (discretely) to as many Spanish language speaking opportunities as you can.

Good luck. Que le vaya bien!

Chandler

(I am not sure how to use "por" or "para". I think both of them mean "for".

Think of 'por' as 'for' what reason or 'by way of'. It is also the X in multiplication. If you want to say that 'this is for you' then you would use 'para'.

I see that "algunas" seems to be translated more as "a few" than "some". Are there "a few" more examples of the distinction between "algunas" and "unas"?

Si, tambien 'pocos'.

Los miembros de me familia viven en todos partes del mundo. (The members of my family live in all parts of the world.) My question is the proper spelling "me" or "mi".

'Mi', por favor.

Él es casado. So I would say, Yo es casado. Esta correcto? Y, usted es casado? Y, If I know you well, Tu es casado?

I think you would say, 'Estoy casado', '¿Esta Ud. Casado?' and '¿Estas casado?'

Escribo, "Mi nuera es nombre Carmen. Usted excribe "Mi nuera se llama Carmen." So this is the difference between "the name of someone or something" and "He/she/is is called or named" It is a similiar difference in English. So I assume I could write, "Su nombre es Carmen". Her name is Carmen. But I'm not sure the use of "Su" Is it used for all possessives like your, his/hers or is there a difference between second person, "your" and third person, his/her/its? I'm not sure about that.

I stick with 'se llama' for the sake of simplicity at this point.

If Chandler comes back on, he can give a more authoratative correction, as he is quite fluent.

Mi familia es en todos partes.

"Mi familia ESTÁ en todas."

Mi padre es de Nuevo York Ciudad.

"Mi padre es de la ciudad de NUEVA YORK."

Yo tengo un hermana de Key West, Florida y un hermano de NUEVA York. Yo también soy de NUEVA York.

Mi primero ("PRIMER") hijo es de Miami, Florida. Pero ahora él vive en Langendorf, Alemania. Él es ("ES o ESTÁ") matrimonio ("CASADO"). Mi nuera es nombre ("SE LLAMA") Carmen. Tenemos tres nietos.

Mi esposa es muy bella. Mi esposa es sorda. Ella es simpática, sensitiva (I will chage this for "SENSIBLE"), y inteligente ("E INTELIGENTE"). (If next word to "y" begin with "i" you must use "e" instead "y")

Anyway, you are doing very well.

Julibaga,

Muchas gracias por su correcciones buenas.

Usted escribió, "Mi padre es de la ciudad de NUEVA YORK."

Yo escribo, Mi madre es de la ciudad Key West, Florida.

Usted escribió, "Él es ("ES o ESTÁ") casado."

I guess "marriage" can be considered permanente o temporal, huh?

Somos casado para treinta cinco años. Soy cincuenta ocho años. Mi esposa es cincuenta tres años.

Before my wife and I travelled in Mexico to Morelia and Lake Chapala in 2003 I took an evening course in basic Spanish. I learned just enough to get myself in heaps of trouble. What I mean, I could ask a question, like ¿Excúseme, de dónde es el mercado?

Then they would answer me in Spanish... Of course I didn't understand what they said. Ha ha ha... It was a lot of fun though.

Thanks for the corrections.

Regards

Bill Newell

Usted escribió, "Mi padre es de la ciudad de NUEVA YORK." (I wrote ciudad de NY because in English it's New York City. On the other hand Key West is simply Key West although it is a city- clear?).

Usted escribió, "Él es ("ES o ESTÁ") casado." (The "to be" verb for married is ser. Yo soy casado. It may be "debateable" given the high rate of divorce in the world these days but biblically and elsewhere marriage was thought to be for life.)

Somos casado para treinta cinco años. (Nos casemos hace treinta anos. We married thirty years ago. Hemos casados por treinta anos. We have been married for thirty years.) Soy cincuenta ocho años. (Tengo cincuenta y ocho (cincuentiocho) anos. Mi esposa es cincuenta tres años. (Mi esposa/senora/esposa tiene cincueta y tres anos.)

Before my wife and I travelled in Mexico to Morelia and Lake Chapala in 2003 I took an evening course in basic Spanish. I learned just enough to get myself in heaps of trouble. What I mean, I could ask a question, like ¿Excúseme, de dónde es el mercado?

Then they would answer me in Spanish... Of course I didn't understand what they said. Ha ha ha... It was a lot of fun though.

Thanks for the corrections.

Somos casado para treinta cinco años.

("Llevamos casados treinta y cinco años")

Soy cincuenta ocho años.

("Yo tengo cincuenta y ocho años")

Mi esposa es cincuenta tres años.

("Mi esposa tiene cincuenta y tres años")

("Disculpe, ¿dónde es el mercado?") o (Disculpe, ¿dónde está el mercado?")

--------------------

("Mi madre es de la ciudad DE Key West, Florida") o ("Mi madre es de Key West, Florida")

Usted escribió, "Él es ("ES o ESTÁ") casado." (The "to be" verb for married is ser. Yo soy casado. It may be "debateable" given the high rate of divorce in the world these days but biblically and elsewhere marriage was thought to be for life.)

Answer: That's right!

(Tengo cincuenta y ocho (cincuentiocho --> Incorrecto) anos. Mi esposa es cincuenta tres años. (Mi esposa/senora/esposa tiene cincueta y tres anos.)

?Con permiso, (a) donde esta el mercado?

Escuse me, where's the market?

Estoy de acuerdo contigo RV. ?Donde esta el pinche mercado?

Many ways to say or ask the same question.

("Disculpe, ¿dónde es el mercado?") o (Disculpe, ¿dónde está el mercado?")

These options seem like they would do the trick.

Pues, ¿puede decirme la ubicacion del mercado por favor? No puedo encontrarlo.

Translation: Can you tell me the location of the market please? I can not find it.

Question: How is Pues functioning here? In my dictionary it says "Then" Hmmm?

Gracias,

Bill Newell

Como sabes, el mercado es menos que tres cuadras de nuesta puerta.

Porque yo necesito mucho practicar en español, es mi opinion que debemos usar solo español en este seccion del 'webpage' (¿pagina del red?). ¿Que penses, amigo?

In English so the subtleties won't be lost.

A look at a Spanish only dictionary, I find, is often the best way to sort this type of question out.

Each of these words (let's use the infinitive form by the way) entender and comprender share the meaning that you are trying to convey in your posting; that is, understanding or comprehension. However, a deeper examination of the Spanish only dictionary, mine that is, shows several distinctions and a ranking of primary usage; i.e. 1, 2, 3 4, etc. Entender is the clear winner when it comes to approximating what you are trying to say in your posting. Comprender, while correct, ranks 3rd the definition that pertains to understaning/comprehension.

I won't bother with the various other definitions or subtleties of either verb form; but you may.

Como sabes, el mercado (ESTÁ A) menos (DE) tres cuadras de nuesta puerta.

Porque yo necesito practicar MÁS en español, (OPINO) que debemos usar (SÓLO) español en estA sección del 'webpage' (¿pÁgina WEB?). ¿QuÉ PIENSAS, amigo?

Correcciones para RV

Si, mi español es simple. Nunca frases del complejo.

Corrección: "Sí, mi español es simple. Nunca frases complejas"

?Ud. entiende mi español?

?Cuál es la diferencia entre la palabra comprendo y el (LA) palabra entiendo? Por favor.

Memo

Correcciones para Chapala or Bust

• 2 weeks later...

Memo, es mi primera vez en esta página. Te voy a ayudar

Mi familia es (ESTÁ) en todos (TODAS) partes.

Mi padre es de (LA CIUDAD DE NUEVA ...)Nuevo York Ciudad. Mi padre está muerto.

Mi madre es de Key West, Florida

Yo tengo un (UNA) hermana de Key West, Florida y un hermano de Nuevo York. Yo también soy de Nuevo York.(NUEVA...)

Tenemos una hermana de (EN) Miami, Florida.

Mi primero (PRIMER) hijo es de Miami, Florida. Pero ahora él vive en Langendorf, Alemania. Él es matrimonio. (ES CASADO) Mi nuera es nombre (MI NUEVA SE LLAMA O, EL NOMBRE DE MI NUERA ES) Carmen. Tenemos tres nietos.

Mi segundo hijo es de Minneapolis, Minnesota. Él es psicólogo (¿?de la escuela¿?NO ES CLARO). Ahora vive en Vancouver, Washington.

Salud,

Memo

Muchas gracias por su correciones mi espanol.

In English... My son is a School Psychologist. He works in a school as a psychologist. His job is to test students for learning difficulties.

Como se dice in espanol por favor?

Salud,

Memo

Archived