Chapala.com Webboard

Recoleta

Shira

.I just passed the old Flor de Cordoba. The name of the new occupant is Recoleta. Recolata is a section of Buenos Aires so I think perhaps the new restaurant will be an Argentinian steak house.

This area is becoming a steak lover's haven. First it was a zillion Italian restaurants and now steak houses.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will be very hard to compete with Tango as I was told that the owners of The Cordoba were holding out for no less then $400,000.00 US and on top of that the cost of outfitting and remodeling it will be be very hard to compete with Tango price wise, and here with the Gringo community price is very important. The only advantage I see they will have is parking. To get a staff that is as professional as Tango is going to take time, so they had better have deep pockets!

They may not be targeting "the gringo community".

My sentiment exactly,... why some think that every business is geared to minority NOBies is beyond me.

We are not so important in the bedroom community of a city of 6 million people.Lakeside is becoming popular (again) with Tapatios.

We have observed last winter how many come on the weekend. Many times more than in the prior years.

Cheers

Good luck to bringing another Steak House into Lakeside where business owners are struggling already.

They'll have to go one heck of a long way to compete with Tango in quality, consistency, deliciousness, price and service. I like Hacienda Ajijic too, although I'm not 100% convinced that it can equal Tango. I have eaten at Hacienda Ajijic twice and have been satisfied. We will be going again this month. I'll report back. I'm sure you're all waiting with baited breath. hahaha

.I just passed the old Flor de Cordoba. The name of the new occupant is Recoleta. Recolata is a section of Buenos Aires so I think perhaps the new restaurant will be an Argentinian steak house.

This area is becoming a steak lover's haven. First it was a zillion Italian restaurants and now steak houses.

For us newbies....where was the old Flor de Cordoba (and now the new Recoleta)?

For us newbies....where was the old Flor de Cordoba (and now the new Recoleta)?

Across the street from the Sunrise in San Antonio, same side of the street as the Chula Vista golf Club only one block before it on the corner as you go to east towards Chapala.

I, for one, welcome Recoleta if, indeed, it is to be an Argentinian style steak house. We have just returned from Chiapas and France and have not eaten out at Lakeside in months but I remember that Ajijic Tango, despite being a nice place for a decent steak, seems somewhat overrated if our experience last fall is any indication of the food quality. That trip to France has mandated a strict recovery diet for a while but I look forward to trying Ajijic Hacienda and the new Recoleta when Tubs has lost that weight gained from repeated consumption of exquisite French home and bistro cooking. So far, the best steak I´ve tasted at Lakeside has been the special steak on a bed of mashed potatoes served up at Number 4 as of last fall. I´ve forgotten what thay called that steak and I don´t know if they are still preparing a steak of that quality but it was far superior to anything I´ve eaten elsewhere at Lakeside.

I agree with RV that these new steak houses and other restaurants are probably not coming here to serve the penny-pinching foreign community but the more affluent Guadalajara clientele now frequenting the lake on weekends and holidays.

Good luck to bringing another Steak House into Lakeside where business owners are struggling already.

They'll have to go one heck of a long way to compete with Tango in quality, consistency, deliciousness, price and service. I like Hacienda Ajijic too, although I'm not 100% convinced that it can equal Tango. I have eaten at Hacienda Ajijic twice and have been satisfied. We will be going again this month. I'll report back. I'm sure you're all waiting with baited breath. hahaha

I "heard" that the chief from Tango is going to this new place, true or false?

I "heard" that the chief from Tango is going to this new place, true or false?

It is my understanding that the chef at Tango is a son-in-law of the family - it would be strange for him to leave, unless there has been a huge falling out.

I for one am hoping that this new place is going to "compete" with Tango. I love steak, but my husband is not a big meat eater. So the result is I rarely get a chance to eat at Tango because the parking and location are a bit of a problem for those of us who don't live in the village. The location (and parking) at Recoleta will be great for us. I just hope the food and prices will also be good.

Parking at Ajijic Tango has never been a problem for me. You just cannot park out front. Sometimes I get a space on Colon before Tango or I just park down by the "Park".

Parking at Ajijic Tango has never been a problem for me. You just cannot park out front. Sometimes I get a space on Colon before Tango or I just park down by the "Park".

Never been a problem for moi either. Sometimes have to park up or down the block but big deal. The food, service, ambiance etc is well worth it.

I for one am hoping that this new place is going to "compete" with Tango. I love steak, but my husband is not a big meat eater. So the result is I rarely get a chance to eat at Tango because the parking and location are a bit of a problem for those of us who don't live in the village. The location (and parking) at Recoleta will be great for us. I just hope the food and prices will also be good.

My wife and I eat at Tango quite often and have never had to park more than a block away, day or night.

That was their Grand Opening- not publcized at all as far as we know!!! We drove by mid afternoon and saw people at the entrance and asked them when they were opening. They said Today!

Can anyone review the food and service for us yet?

OK, here's my review....

3 of us went for lunch today (Sunday) at about 2 pm. Easy parking and very pleasant Hostess asked if we wanted "smoking" or "non-smoking". That surprised me a bit as I would have thought a new restaurant would follow the Jalisco law for a smoke free restaurant....Anyway, she seated us in the dining room to the left as you walk in.

The decor is lovely, under-stated, nice linen tablecloths, napkins and a long stem rose in a bud-vase on each table. We waited 10 minutes and no one came to get our drink order nor did anyone bring us menus. We were seated next to a "wait-station" where they keep extra items so we grabbed menus for ourselves. Unfortunately, when they did the re-model/re-decoration, they failed to realize that the cigarette smoke from the other side would blow through the open windows and right into the non-smoking dining area. So although we were in the "non-smoking" area, we smoked several cigarettes throughout our meal. It's an easy fix...they should just put in a glass of some sort on the smoking side to prevent the air from blowing across the lobby and into the non-smoking dining area.

About 5 minutes later, a young lady brought a basket with 3 slices of bread and the salsa tray which has 4 different items. The chimichurri sauce was delicious as were the other 2 somewhat spicy tomato based salsas. The other item was butter. There weren't any spoons in the salsas so we had to get someone's attention a few minutes later to get that.

Finally, we were able to place our drink orders. The menu is pretty basic and offers the usual for an Argentinian steak house. 2 of us ordered the 400 gram Vacio (priced at 120 pesos) and one ordered the 400 gram Lomo for (120 or 130 pesos). You are given the choice of mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, baked potato or fries. I also ordered the grilled Provolone cheese topped with pimiento. I asked for it to come first and then the steak second.

We had to ask several times for refills on the bread basket. The wait staff seemed eager to please but since they just opened on Fri. they aren't very familiar with the menu and how to handle the clients yet. We asked several questions like "what kind of veggies are they" and he could only tell us "broccoli and something else..."

They were about 2/3 full of clients while we were there. I assumed he had forgotten about the appetizer but when he brought the steaks, the cheese came with it. There was no pimiento on the cheese so I asked if he could bring me one. He said he would return but didn't until 2 of the 3 of us were finished with our meal. I left the cheese there because I wanted the pimiento. I figured when he eventually returned, he could take it back to the kitchen, add the pimiento and heat it up. That's indeed what happened!

The steaks were cooked as ordered (2 rare and 1 medium) and were flavorful. The mashed potatoes were tasty but cold. The veggies were lighly steamed and crispy.

We each had Agua Mineral to drink so I don't know about the cocktails or wine options. It was a pleasant meal and hopefully they will get the kinks worked out in the coming weeks. I can't help but compare it with Tango and given the choice, I would return to Tango first. The meal for the three of us came to $430 pesos.

In my opinion, it's a nice addition and I encourage you to try it for yourselves.

Happy eating!

Valerie :)

Valerie - Too many kinks. I would have been upset at the poor service and no attention to detail. I'll wait a long time before I/we, our Dinner Group tries this restaurant.

Anyone who thinks Ajijic Tango is still the best game in town hasn't tried Hacienda Ajijic. See my/our Dinner Group review under La Cocina HACIENDA AJIJUC STEAK PLACE REVIEW.

Valerie - Too many kinks. I would have been upset at the poor service and no attention to detail. I'll wait a long time before I/we, our Dinner Group tries this restaurant.

Anyone who thinks Ajijic Tango is still the best game in town hasn't tried Hacienda Ajijic. See my/our Dinner Group review under La Cocina HACIENDA AJIJUC STEAK PLACE REVIEW.

i asume you mean best game in town for steak houses, not restaurants in general. many folk do NOT think steak houses are restaurants since they do not serve a full menu of interesting dishes.

If they can't open the place right then thinking that they'll iron out the kinks is fantasy. There's not many places that open with bad service that ever correct it. Cold mashed potatoes? Euch!

i asume you mean best game in town for steak houses, not restaurants in general. many folk do NOT think steak houses are restaurants since they do not serve a full menu of interesting dishes.

Actually, Tango has a really varried menu with a lot more than just steak on it. I've had chicken dishes there that were really really good. Pasta too. And if a steak house isn't a restaurant what is it? It's a restaurant.

Archived