Chapala.com Webboard

Bubba's Coming soon

ricleming

I just did a " menu tasting", or testing at a new restaraunt where Grandmas used to be called Bubba's. Excellent fried chicken every day, daily specials. Fried chicken done the way it should be- Texas style! Crunchy flavorful and cooked properly. Mounds of mashed potatos, no cream gravy from a mix here folks, homemade thickened chicken broth with chicken chunks and veggies floating in it, cole slaw nice and crispy. He invited a few friends to taste and give opinions. Now I know my food...........I couldn't find anything I would change. This is the guy that provides you with those wonderful pies and the pickles at Superlake and he knows what he is doing. Not open yet and I might not be here when he does, returning NOB, but if he opens the day I leave, I'm stopping by for a bucket to go. Look for him soon.

The secret to good fried chicken is clean cooking oil!!!!!!!!! Over-used or over heated will take good chicken to you-all-know where, and slowly they go out of business. Lets hope this doesn’t happen when or if they ever find the need to cut cost.

When they open I’ll probably be first because most fried chicken here is not all that great and I’ve been dying for some good fried chicken (other than my own) to serve.

The secret to good fried chicken is clean cooking oil!!!!!!!!! Over-used or over heated will take good chicken to you-all-know where, and slowly they go out of business. Lets hope this doesn’t happen when or if they ever find the need to cut cost.

When they open I’ll probably be first because most fried chicken here is not all that great and I’ve been dying for some good fried chicken (other than my own) to serve.

I went back today and they were there. Chicken just as good this time. That boy is a Texan and knows how to cook fried chicken. True enough, consistancy is the name of the game and others in the restarant were just as happy as I was. They were from Louisiana and know good southern comfort food as well as I do. Even the guy that owns Puritan chicken next door was there. For the 2nd time. Highly recommended.

Just chicken or are there other things on the menu? Is there a menu? When you say "fried" do you mean "deep-fried?"

I was raised mostly in Texas. I only know of one way to fry chicken properly and that is deep-fried. Kentucky style?- never understood how they got away with calling it Kentucky "fried" chicken. That stuff is cooked in a pressure cooker. Bubba also has a new recipe he's putting out with his dill pickles and they're excellent.

Sandrita- they are located in Riberas in the building that used to house "Grandmas". Its across the street from the 7-11 and down some, or up some depending on your direction of travel, next to where they have the cars and motorcycles for sale behind the chain link fence> From Chapala, you will see the sign on the store front that says "Bubba's", from Ajijic the tree kinda blocks the sign. Just keep sniffin' for good chicken.

Just chicken or are there other things on the menu? Is there a menu? When you say "fried" do you mean "deep-fried?"

Right now its just chicken and some excellent TX chicken wings. He wants to keep the menu simple. He will add a special of the day, like stroganoff, chicken fried steak, etc. After talking to him, I can't wait for the chicken fried steak, myself. He just got a good employee, and that was thekey to getting hi truly up and running. Expect great things from his kitchen. He will be dooing "buckets" to go also. Great picnic stuff

After reading the reviews here, we had to give Bubba's a try today. The fried chicken is delicious. We got 3 orders to go. Each one included a breast and a leg along with delicious home made mashed potatoes and real gravy, cole slaw (that was very good) and a biscuit. We also ordered an extra order of wings. I thought the wings were particularly good. They came with cole slaw and french fries. The fries are also made from real potatoes. It's clear that this man knows how to prepare these "southern" delicacies and uses only fresh ingredients. I haven't tried the biscuit yet but will have it in the morning with some butter and home made strawberry jam. The biscuits look a little smaller than what I would have thought but I imagine they will be tasty. I hope he keeps up the great quality. We will definitely be back. We did buy some dill pickles too. Got a sample of them while there and they are top notch.

Hope you all give it a try!

Valerie :D

Wow, it did not take long for a new place to take after Grandma's ... too bad they closed, I liked their food better then fried chicken :blink:

Anyway, if I recall it correctly, Grandma's was on the right side of the building, and they had very nice patio in the back. I can see that Bubba's is on the left. No patio? Did he even paint that side? I remember the folks from Grandma's never really used it, and it looked realy bad.

Good luck in all cases, new restaurants in this area don't usually last long. And I find his pickles in SL quite expensive, but may be it is just me.

We went tonight based on the boards recommendation. Maybe it was a bad night but we wont be going back.

We sat down and ordered the fried chicken to be told that there was only dark meat - fine for me - not so fine for hubby.

Dinner came and it was ok - skin wonderfully brown and crispy but lacking real flavour - maybe needed salt or something.

Waitress disappeared and came when we asked for the cheque and our biscuits that were supposed to be with the meal. WE were then told that they were out of biscuits.

Hubbie came home and made a shrimp dinner he was so hungry.

Just my experience.

Kathy

When you say "fried" do you mean "deep-fried" or pan-fried?

Also being from Texas, but not having been to Bubba`s, I can tell you that fried means "deep fried". Nothing better than fried chicken, biscuits and gravy and green beans and hamnocks. Ummmmh.

Guest RevImmigrant

Ajiblue, I'm from Texas too, but my mother was a Norwegian (born in Texas, parents were immigrants). My Aunt Martha, my mother's oldest sister, made the best fried chicken in the world. I call it Norwegian Texan fried chicken. She just put salt and pepper on it and flour, then she fried it in butter like the Norwegians do. It was the butter that made it so good, real butter, of course, not margerine. It was even good cold and left over. Try it sometimes if you want the world's best fried chicken. It was pan-fried, not deep fried.

Kathy, if a restaurant has good food and the portions are decent-sized, you shouldn't be so hungry when you get home you have to get something to eat.

We went tonight based on the boards recommendation. Maybe it was a bad night but we wont be going back.

We sat down and ordered the fried chicken to be told that there was only dark meat - fine for me - not so fine for hubby.

Dinner came and it was ok - skin wonderfully brown and crispy but lacking real flavour - maybe needed salt or something.

Waitress disappeared and came when we asked for the cheque and our biscuits that were supposed to be with the meal. WE were then told that they were out of biscuits.

Hubbie came home and made a shrimp dinner he was so hungry.

Just my experience.

Kathy

I'm afraid you have us to blame for that. We took a group of 22 for lunch and everyone was so impressed, we kept ordering food. Some had 2 complete meals, not because of a lack of food, but because we wanted to sample the rest. People wanted to take stuff home, etc. Thats going to put a strain on anyone just getting open. Don't give up on the guy just because of one experience.He's doing a tuff job down here w/ brand new help. Don't worry, he'll get the kinks, and there aren't many, ironed out.

I totally agree with giving a guy a chance when they are new and experiencing growing pains.

What I can not accept is the lack of information either by the waitress or the owner. Someone should have said, we are so sorry but we are out of biscuits and white meat. Here let me give you this instead or let me reduce the price instead. Here is a free meal for next time etc.

It is those above and beyond and accepting of the growing pains that makes all the difference in whether a new restaurant makes it or not.

As it stands now, I do not believe I will go back nor will I recommend it. It is a shame because if they treated all the people that came in to support them and give them a try better, I think they would have better chances of surviving.

No one came near us to say hello, thank you for coming, what did you think, how can we do better, hope to see you again. Nothing.

The waitress took our order, brought the food she had and brought the bill and left. Doesnt leave a good taste in your mouth.

You know nobody even said Have a nice day as we were leaving - no southern hospitality at all.

Just my experience.

Kathy

My husband and I went for lunch Saturday (before the big group). We both thought the meal was very tasty. Chicken (we had both dark and white) was cooked perfectly, the potatoes were the best I've had in a long time, the gravy was a good chicken gravy - not a white gravy. Service was attentive, and we were greated by the owner and his wife - asked for comments, etc.

So I guess it just goes to show how you can have two real different experiences under slightly different circumstances.

For the person asking - I *think* the chicken was pan fried. Price for all dinners is 70 pesos. For Georgem - it is not in the old Grandma's restaurant - on the other side of the building. Does not have a patio. It it a pleasant atmosphere - appears to have been painted...

We will definitely be back.

Ajiblue, I'm from Texas too, but my mother was a Norwegian (born in Texas, parents were immigrants). My Aunt Martha, my mother's oldest sister, made the best fried chicken in the world. I call it Norwegian Texan fried chicken. She just put salt and pepper on it and flour, then she fried it in butter like the Norwegians do. It was the butter that made it so good, real butter, of course, not margerine. It was even good cold and left over. Try it sometimes if you want the world's best fried chicken. It was pan-fried, not deep fried.

Kathy, if a restaurant has good food and the portions are decent-sized, you shouldn't be so hungry when you get home you have to get something to eat.

I lived in central Mississippi for many years and dined on the best southern fried chicken I had ever tasted. On every occasion the chicken was pan fried. The fried chicken was cooked simply and not gunked up with all kinds of “special” spices and flavors and was simply southern fried chicken.

Would someone like to share the hours & days their open? Thanks :P

P.S. Found it; 10am to 6 pm, Mon. thru. Sat. :P

Actually, incorrect AmyLee. They are closed on both Sunday and Monday.

Anyway, Hound Dog AKA Bubba the Poster took his first trip to Bubba´s this afternoon to try his fried chicken lunches to go but also to buy his "bread and butter" style pickled jalapeño peppers which are the best pickled jalapeños I have tasted anywhere but I like pickled jalapeños a bit sweet with a charge of spices so these pickles suit my taste. They were out and will not have any for another week and I already bought up the supply at El Torito so I was out of luck on that quest.

I knew this would be an authentic Texas style cafe when the cafe´s Mexican waitress asked Bubba if he had any jalapeño pickles and he replied "jalapeenos?" A true Texas chef which was encouraging. This place was so Texas in style and ambience and filled with true Texans down to their ten gallon hats and shorts with black knee socks and patent leather shoes having lunch that for a moment there I had a lapse and thought I had taken a wrong turn and ended up in the Denny´s in Plano and inadvertently ordered a "Grand-Slam" breakfast but I quickly recovered.

I am particularly fond of chicken wings so I ordered a couple of take-out lunches with wings, thighs (´scuse me - I meant to say "second joints") and a piece of breast (´scuse me - "white meat") for the wife which lunches come with purposely lumpy mashed ´taters and cole slaw and also bought myself ("mysef") a key lime pie and I must say I really like this guy and his period piece diner and was entertained by the Texas Good-Ole-Famlies) settin´around goin´ "Whooee! Just like home. Reminds me of Auntee Maybelle´s chicken and all we need is some black eyed peas with Heinz Ketchup" and that sort of thang.

Because this Bubba is a charming fellow and a hands-on cook and his condiments are quite good, I was hoping beyond hope this lunch would be good and it was OK but not particularly flavorful and to be honest the fried chicken was a bit soggy but it is still by far the best fried chicken I´ve had in this town so go for it. I wish Bubba the best but this Bubba cain´t stomach fried chicken more than once every six months so I would not do much for his cash flow anyway.

Those lanky Texans in those big ole hats and bermuda shorts and black knee socks sauntering in and out with the toothpicks in their mouths were certainly a colorful lot, however. Took me back to the Rainbow Cafe in South Alabama and the old "meat and three" cafe lunches (poke chop, turnip greens, mashed taters and black eyed peas with all the sweet tea you could drank).

If I had my way, I´d advise this fellow Bubba to stick to pickled jalapeños bread and butter style with which he works magic. Why work one´s tail off when one can create magical pickled jalapeños and then kick back on the front porch the rest of the week. On the whole, a fun visit and Dawg says "go-on by".

Have to agree with Hound Dog.................okay chicken, okay coleslaw, it was a good meal, but certainly not great. We probably won't go back.................hey Soriana's fried chicken is better! Of course, all the great grilled chicken you can get here, why are we bothering with this fried stuff?

I'm afraid you have us to blame for that. We took a group of 22 for lunch and everyone was so impressed, we kept ordering food. Some had 2 complete meals, not because of a lack of food, but because we wanted to sample the rest. People wanted to take stuff home, etc. Thats going to put a strain on anyone just getting open. Don't give up on the guy just because of one experience.He's doing a tuff job down here w/ brand new help. Don't worry, he'll get the kinks, and there aren't many, ironed out.

A group of 22 is going to spoil almost any local restaurant experience for the remaining customers. Was this a tour group or just a group of friends? If you're friends of the owners you may want to limit your group size. I'd like to know johninajijic's schedule so I could avoid restaurants when his horde descends.

A group of 22 is going to spoil almost any local restaurant experience for the remaining customers. Was this a tour group or just a group of friends? If you're friends of the owners you may want to limit your group size. I'd like to know johninajijic's schedule so I could avoid restaurants when his horde descends.

:D

Archived