Chapala.com Webboard

YVE'S RESTAURANT

newinajijic

Here's one:

We ate there last night on impulse, after having another enjoyable happy hour on the pier. There's just nothing like sitting there with a cold cerveza and enjoying the panorama of the lake towards sun down. We were pleased to see that people seem to be returning to the water front and the pier watering hole even though the former is still pretty rough with construction and landscaping still having a ways to go.

Now, as to Yves. They have a limited menu for 130 pesos each. I had the fillet, my wife had the lamb. They were preceded by a very delicious shrimp soup and fresh bread and butter. I would rate the fillet a strong "good", my wife says the lamb was excellent. The veggies were a slightly over cooked half baked potato and properly cooked and nicely sauteed vegetables of carrots and baby brocolli.

The total, with 3 glasses of OK table wine, came to 330 pesos. The service was exemplary so I left a 50 peso tip.

We really appreciated being able to get a very nice meal and enjoy the wonderful lake views from the second story of the restaurant (the old Roberto's location). Unfortunately, they didn't seem to be getting much business so I wonder how much longer we'll have this amenity.

RECOMMENDED. Not the best in town but well worth it for the price, quality and amenity of lake front dining.

Here's one:

We ate there last night on impulse, after having another enjoyable happy hour on the pier. There's just nothing like sitting there with a cold cerveza and enjoying the panorama of the lake towards sun down. We were pleased to see that people seem to be returning to the water front and the pier watering hole even though the former is still pretty rough with construction and landscaping still having a ways to go.

Now, as to Yves. They have a limited menu for 130 pesos each. I had the fillet, my wife had the lamb. They were preceded by a very delicious shrimp soup and fresh bread and butter. I would rate the fillet a strong "good", my wife says the lamb was excellent. The veggies were a slightly over cooked half baked potato and properly cooked and nicely sauteed vegetables of carrots and baby brocolli.

The total, with 3 glasses of OK table wine, came to 330 pesos. The service was exemplary so I left a 50 peso tip.

We really appreciated being able to get a very nice meal and enjoy the wonderful lake views from the second story of the restaurant (the old Roberto's location). Unfortunately, they didn't seem to be getting much business so I wonder how much longer we'll have this amenity.

RECOMMENDED. Not the best in town but well worth it for the price, quality and amenity of lake front dining.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but trying to learn. Your comment of "the service was exemplary so left a 50 peso tip" on a $330 bill is 15%. My question is what would be a normal tip. I was always led to believe that 15% was for normal service and 20% or more was for exemplary service. Is there a difference as to the tipping scale here? I have also heard from many restaurant owners and personel that they believe the expat community is "codo" their word for cheap. Might be a good idea for this to be a topic and have many comment.

Pera

I always tip 15% for good service, more for exceptional. I've been told that 10% is what the Mexicans tip, but I don't really believe it. My philosophy is that a few pesos more won't hurt my pocketbook, but might help put food on the waiter's table.

10% is definitely the recommended tip, although we leave between 10 - 15%, but usually not 15%. You can spoil them on your own by overtipping at 15%.

Someone mentioned that Norteamericanos are cheap and don't tip enough. This statement has to do with Mexicans talking amongst themselves about Canadians. No, I'm not calling all Canadians cheap. I'm stating a fact about what Mexicans say.

So anyone else but one person eaten at YVE'S or is it TIP'S??? :017:

we had lunch there yesterday, beautiful setting, but we had the ribs and they were not good-very tough and fatty. The service was very good, though, if a little slow- waiter changed the ribs for grilled chicken no problem as he could see that we could not eat them! the chicken was OK. Nice salad bar but open to all the flies- so they are trying but a little way to go in my opinion.

Paula

• 2 weeks later...

We tried Yves last night.

There was only one other table occupied.

The menu is very limited. They had steak, shrimp and chicken. All entrees were $135 and included soup or salad bar.

The salad bar was excellent and the meals came with a double baked potato stuffed with bacon and cheese.

They served a complimentary after dinner drink. The service was very good.

Would we go back?------ possibly but only if we were in the area.

The Legion in Chapala is always a good place for breakfast or lunch. We're nearby and are there at least once a week. The Tuesday steak special or the filet mignon sandwich special are wonderful, as you discovered.

We ate at Yves the other evening and menu was very limited, (Steak, shrimp, chicken, liver, and a couple of others, maybe seven choices in all) which is fine with us if the food is good. First of all the waiter was exceptional and maybe just a little too energetic?

For me the salad bar and the way they handled the vegetables is not my favorite. Most everything parboiled or cooked with a high acid content solution. I’m a fresh veggie person.

We both had the filet and although very tender, I felt that the tenderizer came from a bottle and probably not needed, to still be a great steak. It just tasted this way to me but I certainly could be wrong. But when they need to cover up a good steak with a mushroom sauce I have a tendency to get suspicious. Ordered the steak with the sauce on the side and the slits on top of the steak pretty well told the story.

Loved the after-dinner drink Kailua and crème, I believe. And a very nice atmosphere.

Archived